Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Tsundoku: The practice of buying more books than you can read

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7875 comments https://www.treehugger.com/cleaning-o...

Thought of this group when I read this today😉

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2504 comments Can’t think why you thought of us 😁

message 3: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5577 comments Perfect! I love new words almost as much as new books!

I get the same pleasure from a bag of library books, and I'm more likely to read them since there is a built-in deadline.

Maybe we should shelve every new book with the Tsundoku tag, and we can't remove the tag until we read it and/or give it away.

message 4: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3396 comments It goes without saying this applies to me as I assume it does for almost everyone in this group, but especially apt right now because I've picked up a couple pretty big hauls in the last couple months. But I am taking a break now FOR REAL! Except Independent Bookstore Day is coming up April 27th so.......

message 5: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 3886 comments I don't do this, as I read mostly e-books, though I did buy a massive pile of physical books when a local used bookstore went out of business. I wonder if the Japanese will eventually create a word for buying more e-books than you can possible read? I'm well on my way.

One thing that I find misleading is the idea that you can't page back to re-read something in an e-book. Not only can you page back, but you can highlight it for ease of finding it later without defacing the book. I can understand the appreciation for touching a physical object but there are plenty of advantages to e-books as well.

message 6: by Joanne (last edited Apr 07, 2019 09:15AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7875 comments Meli wrote: "It goes without saying this applies to me as I assume it does for almost everyone in this group, but especially apt right now because I've picked up a couple pretty big hauls in the last couple mon..."

And I just found the best Independent BS, not far from my house, but in a community I do not often visit-think I may need to squirrel some money away the next few weeks....

message 7: by Jgrace (last edited Apr 07, 2019 02:29PM) (new)

Jgrace | 2944 comments I've been giving this some hard thought recently. I've had to empty three tall freestanding bookshelves so my flooring can be replaced. (leak damage) It's forced me to sort and cull. Most of the paperbacks will go. My aging eyes prefer larger type and I seem to have developed an allergy to paper!

I have a different feeling about hardbound books, especially those with beautiful illustrations. I have a large collection of picture books, often signed by both author and illustrator. I love oversized art and photography books. I'm a sucker for a beautiful book cover.

I have crumbling old books from various relatives that I can't let go off because they have dates and inscriptions, but they will eventually fall apart. No matter what I do with them now, their past treatment wasn't kind.

I do still buy the occasional hardbound book, but I'm more selective. It needs to be a keeper beyond the actual text on the pages.

I have no such control when it comes to e-books or library holds!

message 8: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 07, 2019 09:07AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5577 comments Allergic to books! Oh no! I had to chuck some boxes of old books because they made me sneeze. I'm allergic to dust, so I guess that's my body's way of controlling my addiction. (I also get heartburn if I drink too much, which has been good for my health.)

I also have no control with library holds (other than the library limits), and I have more ebooks and audible books than I thought due to freebies and 1.99 specials.

My "library card, not credit card" resolution has held up well since I moved into a smaller house. However....

I've been excessively lucky (or not very selective) with goodreads giveaways, and they're starting to pile up.

message 9: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6197 comments Jgrace wrote: " My aging eyes prefer larger type and I seem to have developed and allergy to paper! "

I've had the problem. The tips of my fingers become sore. I also had the problem with cloth, when I did a lot of sewing.

I've pretty much switched to kindle , but I still have so many DTB and I haven't come to a solution about that. I want to read them, but I don't read them. I've read one this year.

I have one which I want to read this month, but I haven't managed to read past the first page. I did get past the first paragraph.

message 10: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5069 comments Booknblues wrote: "...but I still have so many DTB and I haven't come to a solution about that. I want to read them, but I don't read them. I've read one this year.

I have one which I want to read this month, but I haven't managed to read past the first page. I did get past the first paragraph...."

Just curious - were you unable to read it because it did not hold your attention, or because you prefer to read e-books?

I have lots of ebooks without DRM - you may want to go through your DTBs and pick the ones you really want to read, and give me the titles. If I have them, I can email them to you.

message 11: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7202 comments I wonder if there is a Japanese word for people who put holds on far more library books than they can ever read so they have to return them unread.

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7875 comments Karin wrote: "I wonder if there is a Japanese word for people who put holds on far more library books than they can ever read so they have to return them unread."

LOL Karin-! What I have started to do is read the first few pages, to see if it is worth holding onto-or if I can do without it for a while...

message 13: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6197 comments annapi wrote: "Booknblues wrote: "...but I still have so many DTB and I haven't come to a solution about that. I want to read them, but I don't read them. I've read one this year.

I have one which I want to rea..."

It seems that I prefer to read ebooks these days.

Thank you for your offer, and I will let you know.

I'm determined to read more of my books, but I suppose there will come a point where I will have to admit defeat.

message 14: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5577 comments annapi wrote: "Booknblues wrote: "...but I still have so many DTB and I haven't come to a solution about that. I want to read them, but I don't read them. I've read one this year.

I have one which I want to rea..."

DRM? DTB?

message 15: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2944 comments DRM? DTB?

Digital Rights Management

Dead Tree Book

message 16: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3396 comments Joanne wrote: "Meli wrote: "It goes without saying this applies to me as I assume it does for almost everyone in this group, but especially apt right now because I've picked up a couple pretty big hauls in the la..."

Fun! I live in a town with a few independent bookstores that are awesome, but I used to live in a town with NO bookstores so making a trip to a nearby city to shop and hit the local bookstore was always a treat.

message 17: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7428 comments Joy D wrote: "One thing that I find misleading is the idea that you can't page back to re-read something in an e-book. Not only can you page back, but you can highlight it for ease of finding it later without defacing the book. I can understand the appreciation for touching a physical object but there are plenty of advantages to e-books as well...."

I've seen mention like that too and have been incredibly puzzled by it. There's also a search function in ebooks. I've been known to put in a character's name that I can't connect to the story for some reason, or some other descriptive word and voila! I'm pulled back to the spot where the character or idea is first introduced, I refresh my recollection, and, using the progress bar at the bottom that has a dot on it showing where I actually am in the book, pop right back to where I was reading, fully enlightened.

I also use the bookmark feature (particularly the one in NOOK app - Kindle's bookmark feature is far less easy to navigate back to) to mark things like maps, cast of character lists and references I want to jump back to.

I can only conclude that people are not exploring the features on their ebook reading apps.

message 18: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7428 comments My friends and family love reminding me that I 'suffer' from this! Eh, there are so many worse things - like excessive drinking or drug use or even petty criminal behavior - that I'm proud to say I buy and own too many books...

And there is also my needlework stash...my dvd stash...my cd stash...

Yes, it could be much worse.

message 19: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5577 comments Theresa wrote: "Joy D wrote: "One thing that I find misleading is the idea that you can't page back to re-read something in an e-book. Not only can you page back, but you can highlight it for ease of finding it la..."

You're right. There are a lot of features to discover. I mainly use kindle books on my pc, and I noticed that kindle books are not all alike in their functionality or layout. I love the search function, highlighting, and especially the ability to increase the font size. My main annoyance with my current book is that I can't see the page numbers.

message 20: by Theresa (last edited Apr 09, 2019 08:34AM) (new)

Theresa | 7428 comments NancyJ wrote: "noticed that kindle books are not all alike in their functionality or layout. I love the search function, highlighting, and especially the ability to increase the font size. My main annoyance with my current book is that I can't see the page numbers.

That is so true, especially when you can't see page numbers! All they give is the meaningless location #. And it drives me nuts!

That rarely happens when it is an ebook I have purchased through Barnes and Noble and read on my Nook app. That could just be happenstance.

message 21: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5069 comments The newer Kindle books do have page numbers. Tap on the location number, it will change format, until you get to the page #.

message 22: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 3886 comments Theresa wrote: "I can only conclude that people are not exploring the features on their ebook reading apps."

I agree. I think there are so many features people are just not aware of and using. I particularly like highlighting passages and then clicking one button to see them all. As others have mentioned, the ability to enlarge the font is extremely valuable, which one cannot do with a hardcopy. I can read at night without disturbing my husband by keeping the light on or having to go into another room where it's cold. Lots of advantages!

Theresa wrote: "Eh, there are so many worse things - like excessive drinking or drug use or even petty criminal behavior - that I'm proud to say I buy and own too many books..."
Amen to that!

message 23: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 10, 2019 09:10AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5577 comments Look what I stumbled upon today! I was looking for a history tag in a book and found a Tsundoku tag. 18000+ books.

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

Also, this quote:

A.E. Newton > Quotes > Quotable Quote
“Even when reading is impossible, the presence of books acquired produces such an ecstasy that the buying of more books than one can read is nothing less than the soul reaching towards infinity... We cherish books even if unread, their mere presence exudes comfort, their ready access reassurance.”

message 24: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5577 comments annapi wrote: "The newer Kindle books do have page numbers. Tap on the location number, it will change format, until you get to the page #."

Thanks. I'll try that. I'm mainly having problems with library books.

message 25: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7875 comments NancyJ wrote: "Look what I stumbled upon today! I was looking for a history tag in a book and found a Tsundoku tag. 18000+ books.

Well, that is quite an eclectic list-I think every genre is covered there-surprisingly a lot of them are on my shelf as Read, Want to Read or DNF-But I am not understanding the "Tag" at all!

message 26: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3396 comments I feel like so many of those are the type of books I would buy with the best of intentions to read (like to catch up on classics etc) and just not get around to, which I guess is how they end up in the "tsundoku" tag.

I have many on my shelf as well.

message 27: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7875 comments Meli wrote: "I feel like so many of those are the type of books I would buy with the best of intentions to read (like to catch up on classics etc) and just not get around to, which I guess is how they end up in..."

That makes sense Meli-

message 28: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5577 comments Joanne wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "Look what I stumbled upon today! I was looking for a history tag in a book and found a Tsundoku tag. 18000+ books.

Well, that ..."

I think people tagged the books on their real-world shelves that have been sitting there the longest, unread.

I had to laugh when I saw the first page, because most of those book are ones that I've been meaning to read for years but never got around too. Many are on my actual shelves and others are on to-read lists I've made over the years.

Though I am making some progress. Two are books I'm reading this month, and a few are on by TBR 36 list.

I think this would be a good tag some month, to help clear off our shelves. (The Trim the TBR project actually ADDED more books to my to read list.)

message 29: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5577 comments Meli wrote: "I feel like so many of those are the type of books I would buy with the best of intentions to read (like to catch up on classics etc) and just not get around to, which I guess is how they end up in..."

me too!

message 30: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3396 comments NancyJ wrote: I think this would be a good tag some month, to help clear off our shelves. (The Trim the TBR project actually ADDED more books to my to read list.)"

OH NO! How did that happen??

message 31: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7875 comments Meli wrote: "NancyJ wrote: I think this would be a good tag some month, to help clear off our shelves. (The Trim the TBR project actually ADDED more books to my to read list.)"

OH NO! How did that happen??"

😂😂

message 32: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7875 comments I think this would be a good tag some month, to help clear off our shelves. (The Trim the TBR project actually ADDED more books to my to read list.)

I love this idea Nancy!

message 33: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3396 comments Admittedly, I have added more books to my to-read list, and bought at least 15 or more books since the beginning of the year... but not related to trim. (yet)

And did I mention Indie Bookstore is 4/27!? I'll quit after that... I swear.

message 34: by MargieD2017 (new)

MargieD2017 | 263 comments NancyJ wrote: "Look what I stumbled upon today! I was looking for a history tag in a book and found a Tsundoku tag. 18000+ books.

Also, this quote:

A.E. N..."

Oh, NancyJ, this quote has so validated my behavior. You have given my perceived madness peace! Thank you for sharing this incredible quote. Wonderful!

message 35: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5577 comments Meli wrote: "NancyJ wrote: I think this would be a good tag some month, to help clear off our shelves. (The Trim the TBR project actually ADDED more books to my to read list.)"

OH NO! How did that happen??"

Ha! I'll bet half of did that. Well, I blame this group of course! And a creativity class I took years ago. Ever since I joined in November, every week I discovered more wonderful books from your reviews and comments. The Trim project clinched it. If I was going to commit to a list of books, I wanted it to be a good list that would help me to meet my goals. I needed to get a lot of great options (divergence) before I narrow it down to just a few (convergence). So far I haven't been disappointed one bit.

message 36: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5577 comments Joanne wrote: "I think this would be a good tag some month, to help clear off our shelves. (The Trim the TBR project actually ADDED more books to my to read list.)

I love this idea Nancy!"

Thanks, I hope it makes it! I think I'll bookmark the tag and check the first two pages each month as I plan my reading. The GAR group is helping because a lot of the books are on this list too. We're reading Count of Monte Cristo (second quarter) and Picture of Dorian Gray (April) now, and we'll read Crime and Punishment this summer. If anyone wants to join in I'll give you the link.