Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Wrong books attributed to an author

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by B the BookAddict (last edited Apr 06, 2019 12:42PM) (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 9 comments I think this may be a job for a super-librarian.

See the author Charles Jackson. Here is his works attributed to his name: https://www.goodreads.com/author/list...

This Charles Jackson (1903 - 1968) wrote The Lost Weekend (1944), The Fall of Valor (1946), The Outer Edges (1948), The Sunnier Side: Twelve Arcadian Tales (1950), Earthly Creatures (1953), A Second-Hand Life (1967).

I really doubt he wrote the books on DOS and Investment management which appear on his book list page.

message 2: by Rosa (last edited May 29, 2019 12:15AM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 145 comments I just came here about the same problem. Mr. Jackson did not write:
DRAWING: How To Draw Anything & Sketching - The Ultimate Crash Course to Learning the Basics of How to Draw in No Time,
The Practical Vibration Primer,
More Than One Journey,
Whisk the Wild Cat,
Lost Cove,
The Coming of Spring: A Sequel to the Novel Lost Cove,
Understanding Psychological Testing,
The Autobiography of Mrs. Alice Thornton, of East Newton, Co. York,
Mongo DB: For Starters,
Report of the Commissioners Appointed to Revise the General Statutes of the Commonwealth, Part 1,
Second Thoughts on Marriage and Divorce: Strategies to Help Identify and Protect Your Assets,
Doncaster Charities, Past and Present,
Intelligent Acquisition and Learning of Fluorescence Microscope Data Models,
The Cotswold Connection,
Accountants with Attitude: A Career Survey of Women and Men in the Profession,
An Oration, Delivered Before the Right Worshipful Master and Brethren of St. Peter's Lodge, at the Episcopal Church in Newburyport, Massachusetts, on the Festival of St. John the Baptist; Celebrated June 25 5798,
A Treatise on the Pleadings and Practice in Real Actions: With Precedents of Pleadings,
What a Wonderful Change,
Story Chest: Samson the Grey Seal Stage 14,
A Narrative of the Sufferings and Escape of Charles Jackson, Late Resident at Wexford, in Ireland. Including an Account of Several Barbarous Atrocities Committed in June, 1798: By the Irish Rebels in That Town While It Was in Their Possession; To the Grea,
Active Investment Management: Finding and Harnessing Investment Skill,
MS-DOS and PC DOS on the IBM PC,
I Didn't Ask to Be Here: Precise, authentic, heartfelt, funny and moving,
Planning Your Career in a Week a Teach Yourself Guide,
Successful Career Planning In A Week,
What If...A Different Time, A Different Place?,
It's in the Telling: Issues, People and Politics 2008-2012,
Profit,
Yorkshire Diaries and Autobiographies in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries,
Memoirs of a Pilot in War and Peace,
A Vindication of the Marquis of Dalhousie's Indian Administration,
Shropshire Adventure, Albion's Stone,
Death of a Dude,
If,
The Diary of Abraham de la Pryme, the Yorkshire Antiquary,
Aprenda a Planificar Su Carrera Profesional,
Planejamento de Carreira,
or I Am Alive!: A United States Marine's Story of Survival in a World war II Japanese POW Camp.
The problem is, I have no idea which of these other Jacksons’ books belong together.
Help is needed. Thanks very much!

message 3: by Emily (last edited May 29, 2019 08:30AM) (new)

Emily | 13039 comments What has happened is that someone attributed a bio, picture, description etc. to the default profile for "Charles Jackson." Any book by a "Charles Jackson" is going to land on that default profile.

It would be much easier to move the books that ARE his books to a new profile if someone wishes to do so. I made a note in italics that all the books on that page do not belong to that author.

I am deleting the picture because it is no longer available on the source page, and it was not designated as fair use/public domain there. On that note, I am also deleting the biographical info and making a note to leave this profile in the default generic state. That is, to not assign it to any particular Charles Jackson. That way any time a book is imported, it will not appear to be on the wrong profile.

It would not require a superlibrarian to disambiguate the books.

message 4: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 145 comments Where did the biographical info come from, Emily?

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13039 comments Rosa wrote: "Where did the biographical info come from, Emily?"

Unfortunately I don't know; I don't remember a source being listed. He is on Wikipedia though and we can splice together something from there with credit.

message 6: by Rosa (last edited Jul 08, 2019 01:28PM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 145 comments I’ve moved the “real” Charles Jackson’s books to their own profile.

message 7: by B the BookAddict (last edited Jul 08, 2019 02:14PM) (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 9 comments Thanks, Rosa. I'm not a GR librarian so didn't think I could do it myself.

message 8: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 145 comments I’m glad I could help!