Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Exit West by Mohsin Hamid / 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimber (last edited Apr 08, 2019 03:06AM) (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 824 comments Exit West by Mohsin Hamid
4 Stars

Saeed and Nadia are citizens of an unnamed country that seems to be in the middle east from the author's descriptions. They meet in class and begin to see each other outside of university. Despite her neck to ankle black robes, Nadia is an independent woman who has separated from her family and found a way to live on her own. Saeed falls in love with Nadia, but clings to the traditional ways. Around the same time that war makes their city dangerous and restricts their movements, Saeed and Nadia hear of mysterious doors appearing randomly that can take a person away from their current location and into another part of the world. They decide to leave everything behind and take their chances in a new place by using one of the doors to escape their country.

Because of how it was written, with an observational tone rather than emotional one and without spelled-out details of place or circumstance, this book feels timeless. It has the feel of a fable that could become a classic that describes the refugee or migrant experience.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5531 comments This was a favorite for me the year that I read it. I love Hamid's writing.

message 3: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1185 comments It's a very interesting book. I enjoyed best reading about Saeed and Nadia themselves. They seemed so real to me.

message 4: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5531 comments Holly R W wrote: "It's a very interesting book. I enjoyed best reading about Saeed and Nadia themselves. They seemed so real to me."

They did. I thought that especially before they went through the doors that there story was very true to life.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I loved it so much.

message 6: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3168 comments This is on my trim the TBR. I have seen a pretty wide range of reviews which always piques my interest in a book even more. Can't wait to read this one.

message 7: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5025 comments Nice review. I didn't know it had a magical element. One of my local bookclubs is reading it next Fall. I'm really looking forward to it.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

This is one I have on my radar but have yet to read. I may need to move it up. Good review.

message 9: by Vesna (new)

Vesna (ves_13) Booknblues wrote: "This was a favorite for me the year that I read it. I love Hamid's writing."
Mine too! I went to his talk afterwards and it was additionally gratifying.

A nice review and the word "timeless" really captures it best. I also felt that Nadia and Saeed were people just like us but unfortunately born in tragic times for their country. I'm sure I'll keep returning to this book in the future.