Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

Archived Threads > Reading sound tracks

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kalli (new)

Kalli | 2 comments Does anyone sometimes feel the need for a music sound track while reading?

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 27 comments Personally, I get overwhelmed by too much sensory input, so usually no. Occasionally it can be fun though, especially if there's a movie soundtrack that fits the feel of the book, or other instrumental music that enhances the mood without being too distracting.

I have a friend who thrives on sensory input and used to ALWAYS listen to music while reading.

message 3: by Kalli (last edited Apr 06, 2019 07:55AM) (new)

Kalli | 2 comments I enjoy it occasionally, for me it's more drowning out the sound of the rest of the world and in a way reducing the sensory input.

The music needs to match the feel and setting of the book though. My go-to sensory flush is the sound of rain (I love www.rainymood
.com
) but even that does not always work with every book... like the beach side chic book I'm reading right now.

message 4: by Lena (new)

Lena (nlgmcr69) | 110 comments I don't really like a lot of background noise when I am reading and that includes music. However, it seems like the TV is always on if anyone is home/at the house besides just me.

message 5: by Allysa (new)

Allysa Ivey (disneyprincess88) | 6 comments I enjoy listening to instrumental music depending on my mood. I have a playlist of movie soundtracks and 2chellos for readathons. Sometimes I will also put on an ambient mixer, usually anything from supernatural.

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth | 110 comments Listening to drumming right now.

message 7: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 1 comments I listened to Pandora radio for most of the readathon (Folk/Soft Rock & Classical Music stations)

I also played my Miranda Lambert playlist through my bluetooth speaker in the mid-afternoon.

I enjoy listening to classical/instrumental music most often when I read.

message 8: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 861 comments Nope, too much sensory input like Raquel said...

message 9: by Lianne (new)

Lianne Burwell (lianneb) | 4 comments I prefer wordless (or mostly wordless) music while reading, if only to drown out my mild tinnitus.

One of the albums I listened to during the readathon was Landfall, by Laurie Anderson & the Kronos Quartet. There are a few spoken word tracks, but they are almost soothing in tone.

message 10: by Lanna (new)

Lanna | 4 comments if you go on spotify and pick reading in the categories they have playlist already

message 11: by Tiffani (new)

Tiffani (tiffanipassportbooks) | 5 comments I love the ambient background noise available here:
https://bookriot.com/2020/03/16/ambie...

message 12: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 122 comments I love just looking for classical music on youtube. There's a few that are about 5 hours of just calm instrumentals that I find make good background music.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments I love having Yiruma on in the background. It's piano music and I generally find it really soothing.

message 14: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 483 comments I agree Shelley about YouTube. I am a heavy user of YouTube.
Also I have Pandora and Spotify.
I can re sign up JazzRadio app.
I may be leaning toward some mid-century cool jazz vibes, very low.

message 15: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Apr 22, 2020 06:04PM) (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) I don't really listen while I'm reading as it ruins my concentration but I do love to take mini 'breaks' and listen. I tend to do a lot of 'repeat'. So I'm currently listening to two songs on repeat.

Miley Cyrus 'Mother's Daughter'
Jennie 'Solo'

message 16: by DieAReader (new)

DieAReader I listen to music probably 95-98% of the hours I’m awake. Either earbuds or out loud, there is a source for music in every room in my house except the bathroom. Hubby & I also each have a portable speaker & they’re heavily used. Neither of us enjoys complete silence often or for very long.

As is usually the case, my mood generally guides my soundtrack. Anything from classical, heavy metal, country, pop etc... I use YouTube, Spotify,Stingray, local & online radio as well as a variety from our personal collections. There’s always music playing here.

message 17: by Mark (new)

Mark Baker (carstairs38) | 2 comments I find music distracting while reading, so I prefer to have it silent.

message 18: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 483 comments Last couple of years I have become more and more dependent on silence when reading. The world has become too silent for me, so I will try some cool jazz turned down into ambient sound level. See what happens. . . .Could help/Could not.