Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist's works!) > Definitely not my backyard! (Lucian Freud)

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments Time for a new one:

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1889 comments Hmmm. Colors and light like Andrew Wyeth, but subject not.

message 3: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments You're right about the colours, but ... this is not America...

message 4: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Dirk wrote: "Time for a new one:

"

Great art but ugly picture. It's probably supposed to be taken that way, maybe there is a political reason for the subject? Where is that?

message 5: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments Could be almost any big city in Europe but ... It's England.

message 6: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments You know that was my first thought! England.

message 7: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 360 comments L S Lowry?

message 8: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments Good guess, but the artist we're looking for is 35 years younger.

message 9: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments This is another example of the artist’s backstreet views:

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 332 comments I have no idea who it is, but there is beauty there. IMHO ...

message 11: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments I agree. I was thinking about skipping this, but thought it too good...
But wait until you see the works this artist is famous for!

message 12: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments It's almost a paradox...the scene seems dirty, old, run-down. Yet the painting is so crisp and clear...'clean'.

message 13: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Hopper?

message 14: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1889 comments I like these a lot.

message 15: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments Not Hopper.
Remember these are backstreets in London!
But I'll give an extra hint: the artist was not born in England.

message 16: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Dienborken

message 17: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments Geoffrey wrote: "Dienborken"

Dienborken???
Never heard that name before and Googling gives no results.
Are you sure you got that right?

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 332 comments S. B. Diebenkorn I think.

message 19: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments Ah! Of course! I think you're right Chris. I should've seen the likeness.
But Diebenkorn was American and as far as I know never lived and worked in London.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 332 comments How 'bout Leon Golub.

message 21: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments Chris wrote: "How 'bout Leon Golub."

That's a pretty good guess! But alas.
Golub was almost exactly the same age as the artist we're looking for.

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 332 comments Looked a little like Golub's style but the subject matter was pretty far off. Oh well ...

message 23: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments It's getting late here (almost midnight) So I'm going to bed but tomorrow I'll post another painting with a different subject this time,
maybe then it will be obvious...

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 332 comments Probably not to me - my "knowledge" is pretty spotty - good night!

message 25: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1889 comments Dirk wrote: "Ah! Of course! I think you're right Chris. I should've seen the likeness.
But Diebenkorn was American and as far as I know never lived and worked in London."

It Diebenkorn’s colors at all.

message 26: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments
1983-1987
78,8 x 51 cm

message 27: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments
detail

message 28: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments Ruth wrote: "Dirk wrote: "Ah! Of course! I think you're right Chris. I should've seen the likeness.
But Diebenkorn was American and as far as I know never lived and worked in London."

It Diebenkorn’s colors a..."

I think you misunderstood me Ruth: I was talking about the anagram Geoffrey made of the name ;-)
Dienborken = Diebenkorn.
But it was getting late and I was getting a bit tired ;-)
So I didn't see it, Chris did.

And of course you're right the colors are not similar and the landscapes and streetviews by Diebenkorn are very different from this artist's.

message 29: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments I have no idea about this one, but personally I don't care for it, or this artist's work. At least the 'colors' (or lack thereof) are not stimulating to the senses and those recently posted above are disgusting. Why paint that? You can go in an old gas station bathroom and find scenes like the sink above...

message 30: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments DId you notice the date?
He worked 4 (!) years on this painting.

Let's give a couple more hints:

The artist is male and was born in Berlin in 1922. He moved to London in 1933 and had his education there and stayed and worked there for the next decades. His father was an architect but it was his grandfather who's really world famous!

message 31: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1889 comments Lucien Freud?

message 32: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1889 comments Heather wrote: "I have no idea about this one, but personally I don't care for it, or this artist's work. At least the 'colors' (or lack thereof) are not stimulating to the senses and those recently posted above a..."

And I love it. Beauty in the broken places.

message 33: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments You got it Ruth, and before I posted the more famous stuff!
Congrats!
Was it the hint about the grandfather?

message 34: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments
Self portrait.
This is one for the thread of Artist's self portraits, I think I’ll copy it there.

Trivia for Heather:
Freud is rumoured to have fathered as many as forty children although this number is generally accepted as an exaggeration. Fourteen children have been identified, two from Freud's first marriage and 12 by various mistresses.Writer Esther Freud and fashion designer Bella Freud are his daughters by Bernadine Coverley.

message 35: by Ruth (last edited Apr 07, 2019 02:35PM) (new)

Ruth | 1889 comments Dirk wrote: "You got it Ruth, and before I posted the more famous stuff!
Congrats!
Was it the hint about the grandfather?

"

When you mentioned the grandfather, things just clicked into place. Especially the color palette.

message 36: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 332 comments The bared arm doesn't look quite right in the doggy picture. Check it out ...

message 37: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Chris wrote: "The bared arm doesn't look quite right in the doggy picture. Check it out ..."

I'm just reposting this because it is the one which we are discussing.

Is it just me or does it look like the dog's pose seems to mimic that of the man? Is there an art term for that...when one part of a painting mirrors or imitates the other part of the painting? (does that make sense?)

~☆~Autumn♥♥☔ | 1 comments This work is more and more creepy to me so I don't like to look at it!
I thought this was a woman?

message 39: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Oh, maybe it is a woman, Autumn. I’m not sure. (That’s scary! Lol)

~☆~Autumn♥♥☔ | 1 comments Heather wrote: "Oh, maybe it is a woman, Autumn. I’m not sure. (That’s scary! Lol)"

These days I often find it hard to tell for sure!

message 41: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1889 comments There’s always something unsettling about Freuds work. I like it a lot.

message 42: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2692 comments I like these too, though I must admit that he made things I do not like.
All in all I think he is very underestimated and in my view one of the most important artist of the last century, certainly more important than for instance Damien Hirst.