Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Mar/Apr: Fierce Femmes > Call for questions - Kai Cheng Thom!!!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helen, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Helen | 44 comments Mod
Hi all:

I'm thrilled to report that Kai Cheng Thom will be answering a few of our questions. Please post here by April 14th and we will make sure she gets them.

Thank you!
Helen

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 07, 2019 10:55PM) (new)

Shalom, Kai,

My public library has recently adopted a policy which does not impose fees or fines for late returns on books. Do you think that that the forgiveness of guilt for overdue books is weakening the moral character of readers?

On the "hold" list,
-Theodore

P.s. This video is of the same vintage as your book: what do you make of the re-purposing of the goathead along with the subsequent juxtaposition of its symbol alongside the cruciform and crucifix (dangling from the ears and around the singer's neck)?
https://youtu.be/SYtxdNeGaBY

I myself found the video by searching google for "dispassionate yogi music," and I was bemused by the authority of an yogi producing music or of the possibility of a service rendered to yogis (music). Regardless, the result of my search rendered a product which contains choreography that resembles what I would describe as anything but dispassionate. The Vedas teach of the modes of goodness and passion and describe the qualities of each direction of journey.

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison (allipie77) | 5 comments What is something that you wish cisgender people better understood about our transgender sisters and brothers?

What was something you better understood about womanhood once you started presenting as female? (note: I know you were born female, I'm just not sure on the correct vocabulary to ask this question)

What are some of the vocabulary words that you wish more cisgender people knew?

Why did you/the main character leave Josh?

How much of this book is based in reality, and how much of it was fantasy?

I enjoyed your book!

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 194 comments Hello, Kai! Thank you so much for answering some of our questions. I've really been enjoying your book!

I just have a few questions for you, mostly from the perspective of seeking better understanding.

I wanted to ask if you, as a trans women, think that if we didn't have the social constraints of "man" vs "woman", i.e. gender-norms, gender-stereotypes, gender roles, the llike, do you think there would still be a desire for some people to be the opposing gender that they were born or non-binary? Do those societal constraints play a role in wanting to be a different gender? If we didn't have "gender" and only had "sex" would there still be trans people? (a lot of different ways of essentially asking the same question, just not sure what the best wording is).

As a society, we've started to censor a lot of things to try and eliminate the possibilities of offending groups or giving poor examples to children as to how to handle/approach/view different groups. Do you think complete censoring of jokes is helpful, or do you think some jokes should be let through? If so, what types of jokes are appropriate to pass censorship?

Thanks so much for your time and thoughts!

message 5: by Wilson (new)

Wilson La | 5 comments Hello hello Kai!

My question is: “Was there ever a time in life when you wanted to give up and why?”

And if it was true, “How did that make you stronger as a trans women?”.

Much love! Loving the book so far ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 05, 2019 03:18PM) (new)

Hello!

First, I'm really happy Fierce Femmes and Notorious Liars was suggested by Our Shared Shelf otherwise I would have missed your book. Second, thank you for answering some of our questions and thanks to OSS Team (or Team OSS) for making that happening! :)

The more I was reading your book the more I was perceiving all the metaphors and even the majority of the character were ways to describe parts of the main character or maybe you. So I am wondering, did you dissociate your self into different parts along your journey? How did you do that?

I'm asking that question because that's what I did to better understand my self.

Your book is full of magic and dreams. I perceived dreams or illusions as ways to escape, to dissociate from reality. Some sort of protection. This protection may be a too heavy armor that prevents us to grow up but I know that those dreams may also be used as fuel to escape from a toxic mold. In your books, this magic is definitely a fuel. How were you able to overcome and fly by using this energy?

This brings me to my last question that was sparked by Sometimes to be somebody else, you have to be nobody first. That sentence struck me or resonated with me I should say. I guess that if you wrote this down means you probably went through that. This interests me a lot because when I was younger I made the choice "to die to reborn" (the other options being to kill myself or to let what I call "the poison I was born with" corrupts my self and drives me crazy). So if you indeed had to be nobody to find your self, how did you manage to succeed? ( I kind of carried that question for years after I succeed finding my self but without understanding how. I know everyone is different but I wish I understand how I did it so that it could help others).

I am aware that those questions and answers are beyond the book itself and not related to transgender but to development.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 22, 2019 03:28PM) (new)

Theodore wrote: "Shalom, Kai,

My public library has recently adopted a policy which does not impose fees or fines for late returns on books. Do you think that that the forgiveness of guilt for overdue books is wea..."

Kai, my friend,

Inspired by the descriptive qualities of the word "unceded" illuminated by Ms. Emma Watson to detail the premise of your novel, I took a post-consumer approach to another thread on this community's page. My library has not yet filled the space that I designated for Fierce Femmes and Notorious Liars: A Dangerous Trans Girl’s Confabulous Memoir on the "hold" shelf and so I am left to imagine the mischief.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Much love,
Theodore

P.s.
Here's a house band that I like:
https://youtu.be/lv5uiDbbWv0

message 8: by Helen, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Helen | 44 comments Mod
Hi Kai Cheng,

The writing and imagery in Fierce Femmes is so evocative, wildly imaginative and poetic. I'm so looking forward to reading more of your poetry. Can you tell us a bit about your writing/editing process for poetry vs. longer form? Do you free write, then edit? Do you outline the story?

Thank you so much for answering some of our questions.

With much admiration,
Helen

message 9: by Vern, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Vern Francis (books_baking_brews) | 19 comments Mod
Hi Kai!

Thank you so much for agreeing to answer our questions!

(1) I saw an interview you did discussing Fierce Femmes and you talked about how the book is both an apology and love to the trans community. Could you speak a bit more on that and why you felt the need to speak on this idea of community being both a place of sanctuary but also sometimes conflict?

(2) In another discussion group on Our Shared Shelf, we talked about the antagonism that is sometimes present in the feminist community between cis women and trans women. Have you experienced this antagonism? And what would you like to see more of in the feminist movement?

(3) I've read that almost half of transgender people will be sexually assaulted at some point in their life, and I also read your article for Buzzfeed ("How Trans Women Are Reclaiming their Orgasms") stating this statistic and basically making it so any kind of sexual contact could be terrifying on a psychological level. Can you talk a bit about the role of the ghost friend in Fierce Femmes and whether it was a way to explore safely the character's sexuality/sexual desires?

(4) I know your main form of expression has been poetry, what was it like to switch platforms to start writing a novel? Did you have a preferred form of expression: spoken word performances, poetry, novelist, children's book author? And what would you like your body of work to accomplish?

Thank you again so much!
Veronica

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Helen wrote: "Hi all:

I'm thrilled to report that Kai Cheng Thom will be answering a few of our questions. Please post here by April 14th and we will make sure she gets them.

Thank you!
Helen"

Hey, Kai,

Have you considered what a witch might deem to be "unceded?" How does that notion apply to territory? Does she still have a time-turner in her possession?

All the best,
Theodore

message 11: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod