You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > Apr 2019 - Line Drawn & Crossed (REPORTING thread)

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Apr 04, 2019 07:52AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48803 comments Report your completed read for "Whose Line Is It" Challenge in this thread.

- State your Wall of Fame name - no name, no badge.
- Tell us the name of the book and quote which you used for this challenge.
- Link your book and tell us why this book matches the quote.
- Score your book:

Scoring:

Title: - sub-titles are not included
5 pts – Contains the word (or number) “Four” in it. (for the 4th month of the year). Plurals/Fourth/Embedded allowed. Forth/for not allowed.
4 pts – Is exactly 4 words (includes a, the, an)
3 pts – Has the name of a character from the story. (Alias Grace's main character was Grace)
2 pts – Has a word that begins with the letter A,P,R,I, or L in it (only count once).
1 pts – Does not have a sub-title or series title.

Cover: (based on the edition you read) Note: the requested object must be clearly identifiable.
5 pts – Depicts rain.
4 pts – Has a gate on it.
3 pts – Has more than one person on it.
2 pts – Is 75% green.
1 pts – Has the title across the top.

Author:
5 pts – The author’s last name begins with the letter A, P, R, I, or L. In the case of the author having two last names, go with the first listed. In the case of more than one author it applies to either author. Does not apply to an anthology.
4 pts – Was born in or resides in a Scandinavian country. (specify)
3 pts – Is not a Goodread's Author.
2 pts – Is female.
1 pts – Has a book published in 2018. Take a 2 point bonus if the book you are reading is published in 2018.

Genre: - must be listed on the book’s main page
5 pts – Historical Fiction
4 pts – Mystery
3 pts – Steampunk
2 pts – Memoir
1 pts – Middle Grade/Children

Bonus Points:
Adopt a Ferret Month: If there a Ferret, Rat, or Mouse on the cover, take 3 points
Car Care Month: If there is a car or truck on the cover, take 3 points
National Toddler Immunization Month: If there is a baby or toddler in the story, take 3 points.
Be Kind to Lawyers Day: If there is a character who is a lawyer in the story, take 3 points.

A reporting thread will be set up to report the book you’ve read, and the score you obtained. Happy reading.

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2611 comments - WoF: Lynn
- "And why call me buddy?" from What to Say Next
- Read Paper Aeroplanes
Buddy is a term for friend and this book is about friendship

Scoring:

Title:
2 pts – Has a word that begins with the letter A,P,R,I, or L in it (only count once).

Cover:
3 pts – Has more than one person on it.

Author:
2 pts – Is female.

Genre: 0pts

Bonus Points: 0pts

Total: 8 points

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48803 comments You didn't have much to work with, Lynn. Good choice. :)

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1248 comments WoF name - Amanda(Lily)

I used The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions and my quote was:
But my love is frost, and cold, ice, and snow;
let his love lighten my burden,
be my heaven;
may it be more revealed to me in all its influences
that my love to him may be more fervent and glowing;
let the mighty tide of his everlasting love
cover the rocks of my sin and care;
then let my spirit float above those things
which had else wrecked my life.

I read The Winter People. It matches the quote because winter is a time of "frost, and cold, ice, and snow" and because the book cover is a snowy winter scene.
The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon

Scoring
Title:
2 pts – Has a word that begins with the letter A,P,R,I, or L in it
1 pts – Does not have a sub-title or series title
Cover:
1 pts – Has the title across the top
Author:
2 pts – Is female
1 pts – Has a book published in 2018 (Hannah-Beast)
Genre:
4 pts – Mystery

Total: 16 points

message 5: by Katrisa (last edited Apr 09, 2019 07:30PM) (new)

Katrisa | 2400 comments WoF - Katrisa
The book I took my quote from was Medea (I couldn't find my edition though). The quote from page 45 was:
"The children are dead. I say this to make you suffer."
I am using We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver . This book deals with a mother processing her relationship with her son after he committed a mass murder at his school - so dead kids and plenty of suffering.

Scoring:
Title:
3 points - has the name of a character in the title
2 points - has a word in the title that starts with APRIL - ABOUT
1 point - does not have a subtitle or series title
Cover:
3 points - has more than one person
Author:
2 points - is female
1 point - has a book published in 2018 (Property: Stories Between Two Novellas)
Genre:
N/A
Bonus:
3 points - toddler or baby in the story - the book goes through Kevin's baby/toddlerhood
3 points - lawyer in the story -the characters have lawyers to defend them in a couple trials.

Total: 18

message 6: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments 1 WofF Marnie

2 Page 45 of Faithful Place "My parents didn't like people with Notions; the Dalys didn't like unemployed alcoholic wasters."

3 I read/ listened to I See Life Through Rosé-Colored Glasses using the alcoholic/booze connection.

4 scoring
Title has a word begining with a-p-R-i-l (rose')-2 pts
author is female-2
book is published 7/18-3pts
Bonus- author is a lawyer -3 pts

10 points

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48803 comments Katrisa wrote: "WoF - Katrisa
The book I took my quote from was Medea (I couldn't find my edition though). The quote from page 45 was:
"The children are dead. I say this to make you suffer."
I am usi..."

As in all cover tasks, the requested item must be the focus of the cover and easily identified. That cover's focus is doors and the people are too tiny to be considered. Sorry. That leaves you with a total of 15 points.

message 8: by TrudyAn (last edited Apr 09, 2019 07:09AM) (new)

TrudyAn | 1653 comments WofF TrudyAn
From page 45 of Baking Cakes in Kigali:
“This was the Dumpster to which the neighbourhood brought its household rubbish in the expectation - sometimes unmet for extended periods of time - that a truck would eventually come and take it away and bring it back empty.”

I read The Long Rain. The link is to the words “truck” and “empty” from the quote. There is an empty pickup truck on the cover.

Title:
2 pts – Has a word that begins with the letter A,P,R,I, or L in it (Long, Rain)

Author:
1 pts – Has a book published in 2018. The Stranger Game: A Novel.

Genre:
4 pts – Mystery

Bonus Points:
3 pts - Car Care Month: If there is a car or truck on the cover
3 pts - if there is a baby or toddler in the story- Jason’s wife, Julia, loses her unborn baby at about six months
3 pts - if there is a character who is a lawyer - MC Jason Dark is a lawyer

Total 17 14 points

message 9: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Apr 08, 2019 09:56AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15093 comments WoF Peggy

My sentence came from Assassin's Quest: "I sat and watched the fire burn low alone."

I picked The Boy on the Wooden Box as the cover depicts a boy sitting and watching.
The Boy on the Wooden Box by Leon Leyson

Scoring:

Cover: (based on the edition you read) Note: the requested object must be clearly identifiable.
(does this count? The title is a bit strangely positioned but I figured more than half of it is across the top)

Author:
5 pts – The author’s last name begins with the letter A, P, R, I, or L.

2 pts – Memoir

Total: 11 points

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48803 comments TrudyAn wrote: "WofF TrudyAn
“This was the Dumpster to which the neighbourhood brought its household rubbish in the expectation - sometimes unmet for extended..."

The bonus points were for a baby or toddler in the story. I wasn't considering a foetus as a baby. Sorry. -3 points.

message 11: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1653 comments Janice wrote: "TrudyAn wrote: "WofF TrudyAn
“This was the Dumpster to which the neighbourhood brought its household rubbish in the expectation - sometimes un..."

Amended

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48803 comments Thanks Trudy.

message 13: by Katrisa (new)

Katrisa | 2400 comments Janice, I don’t know what cover you are seeing, but the one I tried to post is just a close up of a mother and child’s face. That is the cover of the audio version which is the one I used.

message 14: by Katrisa (last edited Apr 09, 2019 07:31PM) (new)

Katrisa | 2400 comments Oh, I see the confusion. The door cover wasn’t the book I read. That was just a book that the author published in 2018. The book I read was We Need to Talk About Kevin. It’s the top cover. I didn’t even mean to post the cover of the other book, I just forgot to change the setting when I linked the book that was published in 2018. I fixed my reporting post so the extra cover is no longer there.

so this We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver is the book I read with more than one person on the cover.

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48803 comments Katrisa wrote: "Oh, I see the confusion. The door cover wasn’t the book I read. That was just a book that the author published in 2018. The book I read was We Need to Talk About Kevin. It’s the top cover. I didn’t..."

Oh good grief! I'm so sorry, Katrisa. I was too hasty, and not paying close attention obviously. Total points - 18.

message 16: by Katrisa (new)

Katrisa | 2400 comments No problem Janice! It was confusing that there was more than one cover on my post.

message 17: by Odette (new)

Odette (odman) | 226 comments WoF - Odette

The first sentence on page 45 The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Mortonis:
"By all accounts, Edward Radcliffe had been on track for a distinguished career, and Elodie was just starting to wonder why she wasn't familiar with his work, when she reached the final paragraph"

The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
I have picked the word track. The title of the book refers to a railroad and there are railway tracks pictured on the cover the book

Scoring:
Title:
2 pts – Has a word that begins with the letter A,P,R,I, or L in it (Railroad)
Genre:

Not a great total - maybe will do better next month!

message 18: by Jayme (last edited Apr 13, 2019 01:50PM) (new)

Jayme | 2395 comments WoF Name - Jayme
The first sentence on page 45 of Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—the World's Most Dangerous Weapon is On the morning of June 19, 1942, President Franklin Roosevelt sat in the driver's seat of his Ford convertible, parked beside an airstrip in Hyde Park, New York.

I read Alice and the Assassin because the main character Alice's last name is the same as President Franklin Roosevelt - which is because she is Theodore Roosevelt's daughter - keep it in the family.

Scoring:
Title:
4 pts - title has 4 words
3 pts - has the name of a character from the book - Alice is the main character
2 pts - has a word that begins with A,P,R,I,L - Assassin
Author:
1 pt - book published in 2018 - The Body in the Ballroom published June 12, 2018
Genre:
5 pts - historical fiction - listed on main page
4 pts - mystery - listed on main page
Bonus Points:
3 pts - if there is a character that is a lawyer - Conrad Urquhart is the lawyer for the Great Erie & Albany Boat Company

22 Total Points

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48803 comments That was a good scoring book for you, Jayme!

message 20: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2395 comments Janice wrote: "That was a good scoring book for you, Jayme!"
I know! I was planning on reading it for the year long challenge for a historical mystery, but when I saw how many boxes it checked for this challenge I changed my mind. Great challenge as always, Janice!

message 21: by Clive (new)

Clive Matthews | 225 comments WoF - Clive

I used a copy of Pet Sematary that is still by my bed and remains unread. The sentence that I had to work with was, "Rachel," he said, "Church is going to die."

I picked Goodbye, Vitamin by Rachel Khong using Rachel as my link to the sentence. This was a really bittersweet book with plenty of humour to help with what could have been a quite depressing topic. I really enjoyed it.

Title - 1 pt (does not have a subtitle).

Cover - 0 pts.

Author - 2 pts (is female).

Genre - 0 pts.

Bonus - 0 pts.

Total - 3 pts.

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48803 comments Wow! Looks like we might have a gluestick winner.

message 23: by Clive (new)

Clive Matthews | 225 comments Yeah, it didn't score well but it was a book that I'd be looking for an excuse to read for a while. It was well worth it!

message 24: by Cherie (last edited Apr 15, 2019 08:45AM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19993 comments WoF Cherie

The first sentence on page 45, from I Shall Wear Midnight, which I was currently reading: Mr. Aching stood up.

I read. Up the Line because it had been on my list since Jan 30, 2012 and the word "up" is in the title.

Scoring:
Title = 3 pts for (2 pts – Has a word that begins with the letter A,P,R,I, or L in it and 1 pts – Does not have a sub-title or series title.)
Cover = 0
Author = 3 (is not a Goodreads author)
Genre = 0
Bonus = 0
Total = 6 points

message 25: by Beth (last edited Apr 15, 2019 01:59PM) (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1879 comments WoF PhillyTexBeth

From my dissertation....White Racial Identity Attitudes and Stereotypes: "High-prejudiced subjects did not feel compelled to adhere to personal standards, but felt strongly that they should follow societal ones." Part of my summary of a piece of research conducted by Devine in 1991.

Book I read: The Marching Season by Daniel Silva--The conflict that the main characters are trying to diffuse in this one is the conflict in Northern Ireland, which is definitely driven by people who give in to prejudiced views of each other and to the societal expectations about how they should respond to the members of the other group.

Scoring:

Author:
1 pts – Has a book published in 2018. Take a 2 point bonus if the book you are reading is published in 2018.

Genre:
4 pts – Mystery

Be Kind to Lawyers Day: If there is a character who is a lawyer in the story, take 3 points.

11 Points! Yea!!!

message 26: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9779 comments - State your Wall of Fame name - no name, no badge.
- Tell us the name of the book and quote which you used for this challenge.
- Link your book and tell us why this book matches the quote.
- Score your book:

Wof margo

The book closest to me at that time was Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley . The fisrt sentence on page 45 was;
"She died calmly; and her countenance expressed affection even in death."
I took the phase "her countenance" and read a book whose cover fitted that. Pieces of Her Pieces of Her by Karin Slaughter .

Scoring:

Title: 3pts

Cover: 0pts

Author: 5 pts
2 pts – Is female.

Genre: 4pts
4 pts – Mystery

Bonus Points: 3pts
Be Kind to Law yers Day: If there is a character who is a lawyer in the story, take 3 points.

TOTAL : 15pts

message 27: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9779 comments Lilisa that is a very tidy way of reporting! I must do it like that in future.

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Apr 18, 2019 05:16AM) (new)

Kristie | 13600 comments WoF: Kristie

My quote was from The Lost Man:
The front door opened, and Nathan felt a jolt of horror at the sight of his mother.

I chose to go with the word "horror" and read a horror book. I read Burnt Offerings. It has the genre horror listed on its main page.

Scoring:

Title: 1
1 pt – Does not have a sub-title or series title.

Cover: 0

Author: 3

Genre: 0

Bonus Points: 0

Total: 4 whole points

message 29: by Lilisa (last edited Apr 21, 2019 07:02PM) (new)

Lilisa | 2429 comments Margo wrote: "Lilisa that is a very tidy way of reporting! I must do it like that in future."

😂 Margo!

I've decided to withdraw from this challenge as I realize I had the book listed for my yearly challenge and I can't use it for both, so going with the yearly challenge.

message 30: by Lanelle (last edited Apr 20, 2019 11:29PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3111 comments WoF Name - Lanelle

I was visiting my daughter and her family when this challenge was posted. I had to go to my grandson's room to find a book. I saw The Long Haul (Diary of a Wimpy Kid #9) in the middle of the floor. The first sentence on page 45 is: "Manny started to fuss, and his pacifier came halfway out of his mouth."

I decided to read Demon Hunter and Baby (Aisling McKay, #1) by Anna Elliott . Can anyone see the pacifier in the baby's mouth?

Here's my score -
Title:
4 pts – Is exactly 4 words (includes a, the, an)
2 pts – Has a word that begins with the letter A,P,R,I, or L in it (and).

Cover:
3 pts – Has more than one person on it

Author:
5 pts – The author’s last name begins with the letter A, P, R, I, or L (Anna)
2 pts – Is female

Bonus Points:
National Toddler Immunization Month: If there is a baby or toddler in the story, take 3 points

Total Points: 19

message 31: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4319 comments WOF: esther

L'Homme au ventre de plomb. First complete sentence: "Il convenait donc d'avoir le coeur net. That called for a mystery.
I read The Highway
The Highway (A Highway Quartet Novel #2) by C.J. Box
Title: 0 point
Cover: 0 point
Author: 1 point
Genre: 4points
4 pts – Mystery

Bonus Points: 3 points
Car Care Month: If there is a car or truck on the cover, take 3 points

message 32: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments WoF Tricia

The book nearest me was Macbeth.
My quote: Lady Macbeth: Who dares receive it other, as we shall make our griefs and clamor roar upon his death?

I chose to read Death of a Gentle Lady because it contains the word death. Also, the title contains "lady" and the book is about another Macbeth.

Scoring:
Title:
3 pts has the name of a character, "Gentle" refers to Mrs. Gentle whose death Hamish Macbeth is investigating.
2 pts – Has a word that begins with the letter A,P,R,I, or L in it (only count once). Lady

Cover:
0 pts

Author:
2 pts is female
1 pts has a book published in 2018, Death of an Honest Man

Genre:
4 pts mystery

bonus:
0 pts

Total: 12 pts

message 33: by Annerlee (last edited Apr 21, 2019 12:35PM) (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments WOF annerlee. Line takenfrom The Lathe of Heaven
"There she sat, poisonous; hard, shiny, and poisonous; waiting, waiting"."

I decided to read a book from the horror or thriller genre (the quote sounds threatening) with a threatening female character. The book was immediately available and waiting to be read... The main female character was a murderess and there was also some poisoning involved.
Book was My Lovely Wife: The gripping new psychological thriller with a killer twist
My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing

2 pts: Has a word that begins with the letter A,P,R,I, or L in it ie "lovely"
4 pts – Mystery

mmm. Not great. Will do a quick recheck.

8 points total (updated to final score I hope)

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48803 comments Annerlee wrote: "WOF annerlee

The Lathe of Heaven

I decided to read a book that is a horror or a thriller (the quote sounds ..."

Which book did you read?

message 35: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Janice wrote: "Annerlee wrote: "WOF annerlee

The Lathe of Heaven

I decided to read a book that is a horror or a thriller (..."

I ve just updated my post. Am typing on an ereader with 1 finger so still editing my post. Need another few minutes.. Lol

message 36: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 2792 comments WOF: Jannene

This came from Dog on It.

The first sentence on page 45 “We’re still on the five hundred,” said Bernie. “I’ll let you know if I need more.”

I shuffled around the words “five hundred” like in a task in our yearly challenge and came up with “fire” and read Fire and Ice.

Scoring:

Title:
Has a word that begins with “I” - Ice - 2 points
Does not have a sub-title or series title - 1 point

Author:
Is female - 2 points
Has a book published in 2018 - 1 point

Genre:
Mystery - 4 points

Bonus Points:
National Toddler - Joanna Brady’s son is a toddler and is in the story - 3 points

Total: 13 points

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48803 comments Jannene wrote: "WOF: Jannene

This came from Dog on It.

The first sentence on page 45 “We’re still on the five hundred,” said Bernie. “I’ll let you know if I need more.”

I shuffled around the word..."

I like that connection. Very creative.

message 38: by Diane (new)

Diane H WOF=Di
....In this case we went to leave it to the killer-if there is a killer, remember to figure what he hear is just gossip. Page 45 of Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson.
Read Half of What You Hear by Kristy K. Lewis as it relates to what you hear and gossip.
# of pages=384
Title has no subtitle=1
Author is female=2
Husband is a lawyer turned innkeeper=3
Book published in December 2018=2
Total points=8
I listened to this book on Audible...the story line was good but I had a hard time with the narration.....I would have enjoyed reading this rather than listening.

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Apr 23, 2019 06:50AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48803 comments Diane wrote: "WOF=Di
....In this case we went to leave it to the killer-if there is a killer, remember to figure what he hear is just gossip. Page 45 of Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson.
Read Half of Wha..."

In future, please link to the book you've read. Thanks.

Half of What You Hear

It's too bad you didn't enjoy the narration better.

message 40: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48803 comments WoF - Janice
The book closest to me was Alias Grace, "He has a gold watch-chain, so although rumpled and untended, he is not poor."

I chose to read The Golden Unicorn because the word "Golden" was in the title. The Golden Unicorn was a pendant on a chain, so loosely ties in with the watch-chain.

Scoring -

1 pt - Title: No subtitle or series name
1 pt - Cover: Title across the top
3 pts - Author: Is not a Goodreads Author
2 pts - Author: Is female.
4 pts - Genre: Mystery
3 pts - Baby is in the story

Total points: 14

message 41: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments WoF - Sarah
I grabbed Rogues on the shelf next to me which provided me with the sentence "Behind her, she knew, blossoms of purple fire would be shooting across the street, showers of golden sparks, a display suitable for a baron's wedding."

I chose to read The Consuming Fire as it has the word fire in the title.

3 pts – Has the name of a character from the story ??? (view spoiler) Would that count?

Author:
2 pts – Has a book published in 2018. Take a 2 point bonus if the book you are reading is published in 2018.

Bonus points:
Be Kind to Lawyers Day: If there is a character who is a lawyer in the story, take 3 points. There are 2 lawyers: Cal Dorick and Senia Fundapellonan.

Total = 9 pts (or 6 if the title points don't count)

message 42: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48803 comments Sarah wrote: "Total = 9 pts (or 6 if the title points don't count) .."

I wouldn't consider that as an actual name. It's more like a moniker. Sorry - 6 pts.

message 43: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10137 comments WoF Almeta

from the book A Slight Trick of the Mind came the sentence: "At that point, I became worried."

I read Death at Charity's Point (Brady Coyne, #1) by William G. Tapply Death at Charity's Point 27 Apr

4 pts – four word title
2 pts – letter P in title
3 pts – more than one person on cover
4 pts – Mystery
4 pts – main character is a lawyer
17 Total points

message 44: by Debra (last edited May 04, 2019 10:44AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments WoF Debra T

Hope I'm not too late to report. Was so busy I completely forgot!

From Year of Wonders, page 45, first complete sentence.

"He clutched the bedsheet and died."

I read Immortal in Death

I'm using "death" in relation to "died." Plus people die (are murdered) in this book.

Scoring:

2 pts – Has a word that begins with the letter A,P,R,I, or L in it (only count once). - Immortal

0 pts

Author:
5 pts – The author’s last name begins with the letter A, P, R, I, or L. - Robb
2 pts – Is female.
1 pts – Has a book published in 2018. Take a 2 point bonus if the book you are reading is published in 2018. - Dark in Death

4 pts – Mystery

Bonus Points:
3 pts - Be Kind to Lawyers Day: If there is a character who is a lawyer in the story, take 3 points. - has several lawyers

Total 17 points (tied with my sister!)

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48803 comments Debra wrote: "WoF Debra T

Hope I'm not too late to report. Was so busy I completely forgot!."

As long as you finished it by the deadline of Apr 30, you're good.

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48803 comments Badges have been posted! Please let me know if I have missed anyone.

message 47: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9779 comments thanks Janice :-)