UAPL Adult Services discussion

Books I didn't think I would like...and then loved

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abby (new)

Abby | 84 comments I just finished Valiant Ambition by Nathaniel Philbrick and I loved it...but it didn't start out that way. I've been passing over this book because Benedict Arnold has never seemed that interesting a person to me. But by this point I had already read the first and third books in the trilogy so I felt like I should at least try to read the middle book. I went back to Valiant Ambition, and I ended up loving it! How Benedict Arnold turns into a traitor is fascinating. I could not put this book down until it was done.

It got me thinking have you guys picked up books that you didn't really think you were going to like and then ended up loving it?

Bunker Hill A City, a Siege, a Revolution by Nathaniel Philbrick Valiant Ambition George Washington, Benedict Arnold, and the Fate of the American Revolution by Nathaniel Philbrick In the Hurricane's Eye The Genius of George Washington and the Victory at Yorktown by Nathaniel Philbrick

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Very interesting topic, Abby! I tend to be a stubborn reader and hardly ever take a chance on a book that I'm not convinced I'll enjoy, but I've been trying harder to go out of my reading comfort zone and try different genres.

I recently finished my first graphic novel, Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversation, and I really liked it.

Good Talk A Memoir in Conversations by Mira Jacob

Here's to taking more reading risks!

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott Potter | 44 comments Mod
I am in a book club and once every 6 months we read a classic. We opted for a Dumas book and I was NOT looking forward to it.
I was not excited at all to read The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas. I read about 10-20 pages and I was all in. Hooked. Loved that book and it is now in my top 20 all time favorite books.

message 4: by Vita (new)

Vita | 40 comments Mod
I have been listening to books rather than reading lately. I wasn't going to read Varina by Charles Frazier but I did listen to the audio book. Very good!

message 5: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 36 comments I finished Trevor Noah born a crime. I didn't want to read it because I don't follow him on Comedy Central However, I couldn't put it down. It is a memoir about his growing up in apartheid South Africa and what it was like being born of a African mother and Swedish father where interracial relations was a crime.

message 6: by Ben (new)

Ben Claymier (benji-man) | 17 comments I think mine was The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. I used to abhor the schlock of paperback nonsense before I finally caved to this author after a friend recommended I give it a shot. It is absolutely a popcorn fantasy setting, but the characters and plots are so endearing and cheesy that I can't put a book down once I pick it up. It really gave me an appreciation for non-literature fantasy and finding fun in non-acclaimed titles. Since reading the first book "Storm Front" I have been much more open minded about my reading selections.