YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Wonder Woman: Warbringer
This topic is about Wonder Woman
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > DC Icons Series - Reading from 'Wonder Woman: Warbringer' from April 3rd 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83308 comments Mod
Wonder Woman Warbringer (DC Icons, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

Daughter of immortals.

Princess Diana longs to prove herself to her legendary warrior sisters. But when the opportunity finally comes, she throws away her chance at glory and breaks Amazon law—risking exile—to save a mortal. Diana will soon learn that she has rescued no ordinary girl, and that with this single brave act, she may have doomed the world.

Daughter of death.

Alia Keralis just wanted to escape her overprotective brother with a semester at sea. She doesn’t know she is being hunted by people who think her very existence could spark a world war. When a bomb detonates aboard her ship, Alia is rescued by a mysterious girl of extraordinary strength and forced to confront a horrible truth: Alia is a Warbringer—a direct descendant of the infamous Helen of Troy, fated to bring about an age of bloodshed and misery.

Together.

Two girls will face an army of enemies—mortal and divine—determined to either destroy or possess the Warbringer. Tested beyond the bounds of their abilities, Diana and Alia must find a way to unleash hidden strengths and forge an unlikely alliance. Because if they have any hope of saving both their worlds, they will have to stand side by side against the tide of war.

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Saw you’re up for the series read of these. Hope you don’t mind me jumping in. They’ve been lurking on my shelf for a while.

Christine | 860 comments Thanks, Sarah!

@Karen, anyone is welcome to join. :)

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Wonder Woman Ch1. Like Diane’s instinctive independent thinking-guess it sets her up for what’s to come.

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Wonder Woman up to ch5. Diane’s efforts are really impressive, and I’m curious to see how the two girls get on now.

Eva Luna (evalunadesie) | 2026 comments Karen wrote: "Wonder Woman up to ch5. Diane’s efforts are really impressive, and I’m curious to see how the two girls get on now."
Could you maybe put your comments in spoiler boxes? I am kinda scared to get spoiled otherwise. :)

I am going to start now!

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 686 comments I am going to start now because I have been at work all day

message 8: by Ryn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments following because I just read this one but I'm hoping to hop in for Batman :D

Christine | 860 comments I'll catch up with you guys when I finish these two books I'm currently reading. I think a Leigh Bardugo book demands my undivided attention. Lol

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 686 comments I am reading it on my kindle and I am going to try to get a physical copy.

message 11: by Eva Luna (last edited Apr 04, 2019 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva Luna (evalunadesie) | 2026 comments I just finished the first chapter. (Started it yesterday but fell asleep haha)

Chapter: 1
(view spoiler)

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 686 comments Going to get a hard copy tomorrow. It might be easier for me to read.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 686 comments I will be stuck in a car for a few hours so I will be able to get some reading down.

Chapter One
(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Wonder Woman up to ch7. (view spoiler)

Eva Luna (evalunadesie) | 2026 comments Chapter: 6
(view spoiler)

Christine | 860 comments Up to Chapter 2 (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Eva Luna wrote: "Chapter: 6
So far I am really enjoying this book, I can't read too much in one sitting but still, really enjoyable.

I wonder how Diana is going to behave whilst in New York city, I mean: the 'rea..."

Some obvious 'comic' moments, but it does rather play up the stereotyped sexism.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 686 comments Chapter 6
(view spoiler)

message 19: by Karen (last edited Apr 08, 2019 03:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Wonder Woman up to ch12. Introduction to Jason. (view spoiler)

message 20: by Eva Luna (last edited Apr 08, 2019 02:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva Luna (evalunadesie) | 2026 comments I'll probably take a long time to finish this book, I like it, but I can't read much of it in one sitting.

@Karen Could you please put your comments in spoilers? (: Now I know something I did not want to know yet. :p

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Wonder Woman up to ch14. (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Eva Luna wrote: "I'll probably take a long time to finish this book, I like it, but I can't read much of it in one sitting.

@Karen Could you please put your comments in spoilers? (: Now I know something I did not ..."

Sorry, Eva, I figured with the blurb info this wasn't a spoiler. I'll change it now.

message 23: by Karen (last edited Apr 08, 2019 03:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Lizz wrote: "Chapter 6
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Eva Luna (evalunadesie) | 2026 comments Hihi no problem, I actually did not remember it from the blurb. Oopsie.🤣

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Wonder Woman up to ch17...definite movie moments here. Heart-stopping, but they all come out of it well.

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Wonder Woman up to ch24. (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Wonder Woman finished. Review on home page. Definitely better than I expected. Lots of action and I got a definite movie vibe from this.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 686 comments I am going to try and finish up the book tomorrow or Thursday.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 686 comments I have finished the book and I have to say it wasn't my favorite. Wonder Woman really isn't my favorite DC character so maybe that is why I wasn't really getting into the book. I will continue with the series.

Christine | 860 comments Chapter 13 (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Going to try and start number 2 in the next couple of days.

Christine | 860 comments Chapter 21 (view spoiler)

message 33: by Christine (last edited Apr 18, 2019 06:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine | 860 comments Wonderwoman End (view spoiler)

message 34: by Christine (last edited Apr 18, 2019 06:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine | 860 comments Hey guys, are you still reading the series? I'm sorry I think I won't be reading book 2. :( I think the DC supers just ain't for me (hence why it took so long for me to finish book 1)

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Doesn’t look like anyone is,so I might continue at some point.

message 36: by Ryn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments I'm reading Batman :) I already read wonder woman before this started so I couldn't join for that one. I love Wonder Woman but I wasn't a gigantic fan of the book. Still since they are all written by different authors, I figure it could be a hit-miss series.

So far, I'm enjoying Batman:Nightwalker
To Ch 8
One of the things that makes this series difficult for me, I think is because the authors are going (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10131 comments If you’re on Batman I might try and get it read.

message 38: by Ryn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments Totally on Batman :D I've kind of heard both ways about these books. Honestly, given the caliber of the authors writing them, I'm a bit suprised -- they're all a bit mediocre so far. Batman has been better than Wonder Woman was so far though.

To Ch 15

The big question here seems to be: (view spoiler)

message 39: by Ryn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments hahahahahaha, Marie Lu is not letting me down here. Maybe it's because she's really good at writing batman-style techno-gadgetry but this one is sooo much better than I thought Wonder Woman was. My big question here is (view spoiler)

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 686 comments I will try to get to batman tonight

message 41: by Ryn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments fin

Loved. It. SO. GOOD.

Absolutely YA, but it worked. Loved the ending. Had a little trouble buying that (view spoiler) Such a fun story. Glad I kept going after the first one... and since I really do want to read Superman, guess I'll press on with the next one. But probably not until next month.

message 42: by Jammin Jenny (new) - added it

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 1548 comments So right now this group is on Batman, right? I still haven't found time to read Wonder Woman yet.

message 43: by Ryn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments nananananananananananananana BATMAAAAAAAAANNN

message 44: by Jammin Jenny (new) - added it

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 1548 comments maybe I'll skip Wonder Woman - you guys didn't seem to really like her that much.

message 45: by Lana (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lana I am on Chapter 20 and so far its a 2 star read for me...I'm quite disappointed since I am a big fan of her in the movie lol
There is just not enough SUPERHERO stuff in this book

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Batman up to ch6. Enjoying this a little more, but maybe it’s because Bruce Wayne is a character I feel I know a little better.

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Batman up to ch12. Like you, Ryn, the gadget stuff is good. This is more interesting than Wonder Woman with the focus on personality.

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Batman up to ch17. (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Batman up to ch23. I haven't been reading this super fast but got so caught up in it that I forgot to update! (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10131 comments Batman finished. Wow! Explosive stuff. Definitely preferred this to Wonder Woman - just felt a little more in touch with the character.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.