The Great American Read discussion

The Count of Monte Cristo
This topic is about The Count of Monte Cristo
Count of Monte Cristo Q2 2019 > 4️⃣ Count of Monte Cristo- Chapter 62 through Chapter 83- Part 4 (of 6)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

J. (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
Discuss anything from Week 7 and 8 here. This thread covers through Chapter 83. If you'd like to discuss major plot events, please click the (some html is ok) link above the comment box to learn how to add a spoiler cover to your post.

If you haven't read through Chapter 83, stop reading now to avoid spoilers

Mandy | 41 comments I enjoy each scene where characters are communicating with the grandfather. What a creative way to create suspense.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) It looks like another innocent is going to be accused of a crime they didn't do! Alas, poor lovers! Lucky grandfather!

Cadarousse is such a greedy scoundrel!

message 4: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mandy wrote: "I enjoy each scene where characters are communicating with the grandfather. What a creative way to create suspense."

The grandfather was so precious! And so unexpected in the secrets he had.

message 5: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "It looks like another innocent is going to be accused of a crime they didn't do! Alas, poor lovers! Lucky grandfather!

Cadarousse is such a greedy scoundrel!"

I didn't like him after the diamond incident at the beginning of the book and didn't expect him to show up again. He was awful.

message 6: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 15, 2019 06:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Mandy wrote: "I enjoy each scene where characters are communicating with the grandfather. What a creative way to create suspense."

I saw a variation of this communication technique shown on a tv show once, as a "new" way to communicate with people who are sick/injured and can't speak or write. It's funny to see that it's nearly 200 years old! My mom can't speak well (she has a trach tube and damaged vocal cords), and we developed our own communication shorthand for when I can't read her lips. I narrow it down by common topics rather than letters.

I really liked those sections too. It's part of the mystery to figure out what his preferences and strategies. I also wonder how much he knows about how his son saved him by making Edmond the scapegoat.

message 7: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
J. wrote: "aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "It looks like another innocent is going to be accused of a crime they didn't do! Alas, poor lovers! Lucky grandfather!

Cadarousse is such a greedy scoundrel!"

I..."

Yes, this answers a question about what I was wondering in the last section. The count doesn't want to just get quick revenge on these people, he wants them to bring about their own downfall (with a little help from him). He's just giving them more opportunities or temptations to do it.