The Great American Read discussion

The Count of Monte Cristo
This topic is about The Count of Monte Cristo
Count of Monte Cristo Q2 2019 > 3️⃣ Count of Monte Cristo- Chapter 39 through Chapter 61- Part 3 (of 6)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

J. (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
Discuss anything from Week 5 and 6 here. This thread covers through Chapter 62. If you'd like to discuss major plot events, please click the (some html is ok) link above the comment box to learn how to add a spoiler cover to your post.

If you haven't read through Chapter 62, stop reading now to avoid spoilers

message 2: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

Week 5 is through Chapter 50 The Morrels.

(view spoiler)

message 3: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

Week 6 is Pyramus and Thisbe (51) through How to Rescue a Gardener from Dormice (61).

What does everyone think about (view spoiler) Have you figured out (view spoiler) It's interesting to watch the Count make small manipulations to the different situations.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) Romeo and Juliet! ❤️

There are a lot of machinations in the Count's social designs. I can't wait to see how they play out.

Mandy | 41 comments Enjoying this section and excited to keep reading. Is anyone else planning to read the current “The Black Count” book after finishing this book? About Dumas and his father and the possible inspiration for this book.

message 6: by aPriL does feral sometimes (last edited May 16, 2019 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) Mandy wrote: "Enjoying this section and excited to keep reading. Is anyone else planning to read the current “The Black Count” book after finishing this book? About Dumas and his father and the possible inspirat..."

I am planning to!

message 7: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mandy wrote: "Enjoying this section and excited to keep reading. Is anyone else planning to read the current “The Black Count” book after finishing this book? About Dumas and his father and the possible inspirat..."

It might help make sense of some of the plot twists!

message 8: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "Romeo and Juliet! ❤️

There are a lot of machinations in the Count's social designs. I can't wait to see how they play out."

There are! And when you see the end results it opens your eyes to the subtle things that happened earlier in the book.

message 9: by Parker (new) - added it

Parker | 204 comments I highly recommend The Black Count. It's about Dumas pere, and utterly fascinating.

message 10: by KP (new) - rated it 5 stars

KP | 26 comments He's like a fairy godfather making things happen for people.

message 11: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 13, 2019 08:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Mandy wrote: "Enjoying this section and excited to keep reading. Is anyone else planning to read the current “The Black Count” book after finishing this book? About Dumas and his father and the possible inspirat..."

I might! I got the impression so far that skin color was much less likely to be a social barrier than a lack of money or titles. He described some characters as having a "dark" complexion (e.g. Fernand, aka Count Morcerf). But then there were other terms, such as Nubian that seemed to refer to a much darker tone. He was also inconsistent though. At some points Count of Monte Cristo was described as very pale (like a vampire), and in this section he sounds like he's darker (perhaps he's getting more sun now.)

Do you have a sense of which characters in the book (if any) might be most similar to the author or his family?

message 12: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 13, 2019 08:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

J. wrote: "Week 6 is Pyramus and Thisbe (51) through How to Rescue a Gardener from Dormice (61).

What does everyone think about [spoilers removed] Have you figured out [spoilers removed] It's interesting to..."

Max and Valentine is a sweet story. He doesn't pay any attention to Valentine at all at this point, but I'm sure he'll want to help Max since he did so much to help his sister Julie.

The dormice chapter was interesting. I thought it was funny that the next day the government blamed it on a misinterpreted transmission due to the fog. (That was a big stretch.) I think the guy who made the "mistake" might get in more trouble than the Count intended.

message 13: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 13, 2019 08:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

J. wrote: "aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "Romeo and Juliet! ❤️

There are a lot of machinations in the Count's social designs. I can't wait to see how they play out."

There are! And when you see the end ..."

I can't wait to see which characters he's going to punish, and how much he's going to hurt (or even help) their family members, especially the children. I really want to know what he'll do to Villefort, who was the worst in my opinion.

I thought the Count's behavior toward Bertuccio regarding the house in Auteuil was rather cruel. He made him suffer and kept him in the dark for a long time about what he knew. That's not a nice way to treat your most trusted employee.

What do you think of Caderouse? Would you have predicted that giving him a diamond would end up hurting his life? Was that his punishment?

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) Imho, Caderouse could have chosen a different course of action, which would not have meant being evil. Earlier in the book, he refused to participate in the obvious scheme against Edmond, but he did not warn Edmond or help Edmond. He pretended a drunken blackout which he did not actually have. So, what kind of person was Caderouse? Edmond gave him a chance by giving him a choice, instead of simply destroying him upfront. But I can't see how even Edmond could have guessed how to the bad Caderouse would choose.

The thing with Bertuccio was cruel! To me, it showed Edmond to be more than just an avenger. He is a little insane, maybe understandably, thinking of himself as someone given a 007 license to do whatever he wants to mess with people, like a person beginning to develop a Messianic complex. I think he has tipped over a bit into real darkness, justifying it, wrongly in my opinion, to do whatever it takes no matter what Innocents or uninvolved parties get smashed along with his targets.

message 15: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Messianic complex is a good term for it. His mind and his money give him the ability to mess with a lot of people's lives. It gives him power, and power corrupts.

I just read the chapter where he walks out a door as the Abbe, and then a few minutes later open the door as the count. The next day he's an English man. He's juggling at least three different personas, each with it's own costume, makeup, language and story. It doesn't seem realistic that he can do all this himself (even designing where the trees should go in the Autuiel yard). Not without making mistakes or trusting his staff more. He's too good at too many things.