Anyone Else? discussion

Writing > Characters

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Oh, I don't think you know what you've gotten yourself into, Emily. I think you might have an idea of how much I care for characters, and when they're my own, well, it could get interesting.

message 2: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Jane D. Camp. Stubborn, sweet, funny Jane.

Asher Glade? I'm not quite sold on the last name. We'll see. Serious, thoughtful, kind Asher.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Rayne Winchester. My sweet, sweet innocent Rayne.

Raylen Winchester (Her kid)
Oceana Thomas. (Her kid)
This is a futuristic story.

((PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY NAMES WITHOUT CREDITING. I MADE THEM SO RESPECT THEM))

message 4: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) You got a name from a dream?

message 5: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) That's awesome. I never get names or faces from dreams.

message 6: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Wow, that's great. It's hard for me to really imagine faces, if you will. I mean, I know what the faces are doing, but, when I try to focus on the face, it disappears. It sounds weird, but really, it's a pain in the neck.

message 7: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) That's good advice.

message 8: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Like them! If you dislike the villain, even if you think they are just annoying, you aren't going to write them correctly. It sounds odd, but it really does help. If you like the villain, they will come across as human(or whatever they are). And not gum on your shoe. Because villains have reasons for doing what they do, just like the good guys.

message 9: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Emily wrote: "Oh, trust me, the villains are always my favorite so that wont be a problem."

Lol

message 10: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Oh, I can totally see that happening! I'm laughing so hard!

message 11: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Good! My character just learned a very important lesson. How's yours?

message 12: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Just keep going. You'll get there!

message 13: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) I still don't understand your love to kill, SHINE. I'm about to kill a character. I mean, I just did, really, but we don't know anything about her, she was just a guard. But, I'm about to kill a character that we know and love. It'll be hard.

message 14: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Like who?

message 15: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Oh, I see.

message 16: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Lol

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I am HORRIBLE at writing. but one time, I was messing with a character and decided to make a death scene.
OML my whole class like fawned over it!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Zero!

message 19: by Karsyn , The Sherlockian (new)

Karsyn   Shae “No mourners. No funerals.”~The Crows (karsynshae) | 747 comments Mod
@Shine I know this sounds bad.....But I like hurting my characters. Well, okay, not "like" but I do it a lot.

@Emily umm, how bout, girl: Zaliki, Katina, Korova? Boy: Zarr, Zerex? Sorry I'm really bad at sorcerer names.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Zerooooo

message 21: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) SHINE wrote: "How many characters do you own all together?
By gender and what side they’re on?"

Around 35ish. I have names, and I know what they do, and who they are, but I don't know some of their personalities. A third of them are on the opposing side, and their genders vary.

message 22: by Joey, The Coffee Lover (new)

Joey | 1584 comments Mod
Ooh I just found this
I have three main characters:
Kyle Princeton
Red hair, freckles. Age: 21
Maya Ashtar
Short brown hair. Age: 20
Ivie Stillwater
Albino. Very light blond hair and light skin. Age: 12

message 23: by Karsyn , The Sherlockian (new)

Karsyn   Shae “No mourners. No funerals.”~The Crows (karsynshae) | 747 comments Mod
@Shine I own over 100 characters! I have a good mix of female and male characters, and a good mix of good and evil characters. All with back stories and other details like names and blah blah blah....that kind of thing.

message 24: by Karsyn , The Sherlockian (new)

Lol, I have them all in a box organized by genre. So whenever I need one I just choose the genre and pick one blindly.

message 25: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) I just remember. I don't know. Just like you remember characters in books, that's how it is for me in writing. I have three different books going, and then other book ideas that I already have characters for, so that's where mine come from.

message 26: by Joey, The Coffee Lover (new)

Joey | 1584 comments Mod
Same Harper. Although sometimes I pull out old characters from books I wrote as a kid, normally I don’t end up recording a bunch of extra info about my characters outside of my novel. And being an artist, sometimes I’ll end up drawing a person and then spontaneously decide I actually want a character to look like that. And then I’ll use it. I am definitely a very pantserish (is that a word?) writer and normally do very little to no planning before diving into a book. That’s just how I write :)

message 27: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) That's a lot like me, Joey. Which is really funny, because I am such an organized perfectionist that loves to plan. Lol But, I really don't. I mean, I know the main points that are going to happen in my book, and my mind likes to wonder, so that's usually where the "planning" happens. But I don't have much written down other than the book itself. I'm more of a pantserish writer as well. Lol

message 28: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Usually, I can see about a page ahead of me, if you know what I mean.

message 29: by Joey, The Coffee Lover (new)

Joey | 1584 comments Mod
Well, to put it simply.
Yes!!!!!
But then put them back together XP

message 30: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (a1yssa3) | 564 comments I try to connect all my stories with one character at least. Like i take a character from a different story of mine and put it in the new story! Idk why. its kinda a habit.

message 31: by Joey, The Coffee Lover (new)

Joey | 1584 comments Mod
I’ll do that too, but I like creating new characters too ;)

message 32: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (a1yssa3) | 564 comments :)

message 33: by Johnathan (new)

Johnathan Duplanti | 11 comments Alyssa wrote: "I try to connect all my stories with one character at least. Like i take a character from a different story of mine and put it in the new story! Idk why. its kinda a habit."

i do that as well

message 34: by Johnathan (new)

Johnathan Duplanti | 11 comments Joey wrote: "I’ll do that too, but I like creating new characters too ;)"

and this too

message 35: by Joey, The Coffee Lover (new)

Joey | 1584 comments Mod
Most of mine just got captured lol

message 36: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) How are everyone's characters going?

message 37: by Harper Nicole (new)

Mine are alright. I guess. I haven't seen them for like two months. It's a bit sad. I really miss them.

message 38: by Harper Nicole (new)

message 39: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) I've been kind of stuck for a while now, but I am coming up with a short story, but no character yet.

message 40: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Thanks!

message 41: by Stan (new)

Stan | 13 comments I have a problem. I saw a cool picture and thought, "That'd make a great character. Now to write a story." I thought she'd be a minor character, but she's taking over!

message 42: by Joey, The Coffee Lover (new)

Joey | 1584 comments Mod
Thats a Good idea Shine!
And wow, Stan, I’ve definitely had that problem. 😂 that’s always tough, and it’s so difficult to put the attention back on the main character

message 43: by Smaug (new)

Smaug the Unmerciful Editor (goodreadscomsupremedrake) | 45 comments Stan wrote: "I have a problem. I saw a cool picture and thought, "That'd make a great character. Now to write a story." I thought she'd be a minor character, but she's taking over!"

You could do what Andy Weir did. He was writing his book The Martian, and he really liked this characters Jazz. But she was a minor character, and shouldn't take the stage. So he stuck her in another one of his sci-fi stories so both MCs could have their center stages.

Or you could use a more Conan Doyle approach and make the MC your character who's taking over, and your side character the narrator, much like Holmes and Watson. Or your MC could just be a normal dude and your side character the amazing one!

I know I sound cheap, telling you to copy famous authors, but there you go.

message 44: by Stan (new)

Stan | 13 comments Joey wrote: "Thats a Good idea Shine!
And wow, Stan, I’ve definitely had that problem. 😂 that’s always tough, and it’s so difficult to put the attention back on the main character"

The main character is her distant cousin, but I didn't know there was a cousin when I began writing. What was going to be an underlying sub-plot across several novellas and short stories is coming into a major role in this plot now.

message 45: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) So, why do you capitalize "dreams"? Just wondering.

message 46: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Oh, okay! Lol

message 47: by Stan (new)

Stan | 13 comments SHINE wrote: "I seriously need different questions about characters..."

How about...

What is your character's goal in life?
Who does your character consider "kin"?
Does your character have a "shame/honor" or "guilt/innocence" motivation?
How does your character view self-preservation?

message 48: by Stan (new)

Stan | 13 comments SHINE wrote: "Perfect questions!"

Thanks! Glad I could help!

message 49: by Stan (new)

Stan | 13 comments SHINE wrote: "Anyone?"

Goodness, with COVID-19 I've been mobile. I haven't worked on fiction at all lately. I've also just jumped into another degree program, so it'll be non-fiction for me for a while.