Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Asha Praver
This topic is about Asha Praver
Policies & Practices > What to do when author changes her name?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tandava (last edited Apr 02, 2019 02:16PM) (new)

Tandava Graham | 4 comments Hi there,

I help Asha get her books on Goodreads. Between her most recent book and the one about to be published next month, she has changed her name from Asha Praver to Asha Nayaswami (a spiritual title, but also a legal name change).

I understand that the old books that say "Asha Praver" on the cover need to remain with that name. But we would still like to have her author profile page include all of her books, with both names. What is the recommended procedure here?

If it helps, here's the new book, with her new name:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

And here is Asha's author page:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

Thanks,
Tandava

message 2: by Domagoj (new)

Domagoj (dmedic) | 46 comments Perhaps add a new name as another author to books with her old name as author. Also in her new name profile add a link to old profile and vice versa.

message 3: by Emily (last edited Apr 02, 2019 05:37PM) (new)

Emily | 13149 comments Tandava,
We can add her former name as a secondary author on the ones published under the new name, and vice versa (as Domagoj mentioned). I have done this for the new book. I will go ahead and add a link to the unclaimed profile that can direct back to her claimed one.
If she wants the new name to appear as secondary author on the other books, she can request that.

Asha can also claim the other profile, but it would need to be with a different email address than what is used for her current Goodreads author account.

message 4: by Tandava (new)

Tandava Graham | 4 comments Okay, I'll go through and get everything organized then. Bummer that she has to have two accounts now, though.

Thanks,
Tandava

message 5: by Emily (last edited Apr 02, 2019 05:50PM) (new)

Emily | 13149 comments The only other option is to lengthen her Goodreads name to "Asha Praver Nayaswami" and they could all be on the same profile. (Just fyi)
Information and a picture can be added to the unclaimed profile without it being claimed as well, provided the person uploading it has copyright permission to use it.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
Tandava wrote: "Bummer that she has to have two accounts now, though."

Two profiles, yes (unless she wishes the other option just mentioned). But she does not have to claim both unless she wants to. If she wishes to just keep her current account/login, she can. It would just limit her ability to control the second author profile.

message 7: by Tandava (new)

Tandava Graham | 4 comments Okay, so one more question: Is it possible to update the old profile, the one with all her friends and followers, to use the new name? And then put the old name on another account?

Thanks,
Tandava

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
Tandava wrote: "Okay, so one more question: Is it possible to update the old profile, the one with all her friends and followers, to use the new name? And then put the old name on another account?"

No. However, she can email Support and ask to have her user account and login moved from one author profile to the other. That should bring along her friends, but not the followers.

message 9: by Tandava (new)

Tandava Graham | 4 comments That should be good enough. I'll do that. Thanks!