Play Book Tag discussion

This Will Only Hurt a Little
This topic is about This Will Only Hurt a Little
Archive: Other Books > This Will Only Hurt a Little, by Busy Philipps- 3.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3774 comments 3.5 rounding down. Another celebrity memoir, audiobook read by the author. We all know I'm a sucker for these. I LOVE Freaks and Geeks (am rewatching now because reading this made me want to), but didn't know too much about Busy before reading/listening to this.

I actively looked forward to listening to this. She is truthful, unapologetic, and it is so easy to get sucked into Busy's world, and enjoy the ride. We see Busy's parents, her upbringing- fun anecdotes like her dislocating her knee in a mosh pit to Nirvana at her 7th grade dance. We see the vulnerability in her with stories like her first sexual encounters, and how she didn't realize she was raped until after it happened. I absolutely loved her "realness" which is apparently what she is known for, and she was a personality that paved the way of instagram stories. It's obvious this book was written during the #metoo movement. There is a lot of talk of men dominating the industry, as well as what men vs women can get away with in entertainment. I could sing praises of the "funness" of this memoir all day.

The weird part of this comes in two waves
-The first is the passive aggressive-ness that seemed to be looming against certain things. Even if the hatred/dislike is warranted, it came across as awkward and unmentioned in the book. She talks very poorly of her husband, how he doesn't talk to her unless she initiates, or ditches her right after she gives birth to go to Cochella. She mentions therapy, and that she wanted a divorce at a time- but really she just sounded passive aggressive towards him (also this happened with Abby, her husbands co-writer, as well as overarching topics like Judd Apatows "boys club" and how she is always asked to lose weight for roles. Again, these things do seem rage-worthy, but it seems like some grudges are being held, and taken out in this book.
-The second comes with the audiobook. Firstly, there are MANY stories in this where Busy is emotional and crying. Like literally- you can hear her quiet sobs, CRYING while reading the text. I understand this is emotional, but there are so many times- it got old quickly. Also sometimes her tone felt very forced, almost harsh to the point where things came across much angrier than I think she anticipated. Very Kim Kelly, not as much Busy.

message 2: by Charlotte (new) - added it

Charlotte | 1465 comments Great review!! Adding it to me audio TBR