Books2Movies Club discussion

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
This topic is about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Monthly Reads > A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - book and movies

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zeljka (new)

Zeljka (ztook) | 2795 comments Mod
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith is a fairly recent novel, written in 1943. It captured the hearts of many Americans almost immediately after publication. While still relatively unknown internationally, I dare say it is still widely read in the US. I wonder if there are readers in our club from other countries who've read this book. I would like to hear your thoughts too!

The first adaptation came only two years after. It was directed by Elia Kazan, Peggy Ann Garner received the Academy Juvenile Award for her performance as Francie Nolan and James Dunn an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of Francie's father. In 2010 it was selected for preservation in the US National Film Registry. A TV adaptation of the novel was made in 1974, starring Cliff Robertson as Johnny Nolan.

I am glad we are reading this book (I still have to obtain a reasonably priced copy for myself though). I hope you'll like this month's selection! Please share your thoughts and impressions with us :)

Jennifer Lafferty | 37 comments This is one of my all-time favorites. I've read it at different stages of my life and like it more each time. It is truly a classic that readers of all ages can enjoy. It is also my mother's favorite book ever and the one that made her discover her love of reading.

The original feature film adaptation really didn't do it justice. I saw the TV version which I thought was better but I'm hoping for a good big screen remake someday even though it would be a challenge considering the multi-faceted story and the all the complex characters.