Addicted to YA discussion

A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
This topic is about A Curse So Dark and Lonely
Series > A Curse So Dark and Lonely

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5215 comments Mod
This discussion will be lead by Toya. The discussion leader will be here to help keep the conversation going. Look out for comments and questions the discussion leader might make and respond back to them!

message 2: by gwendalyn (new) - added it

gwendalyn _books_ (gwendalyn_books_) I

message 3: by gwendalyn (new) - added it

gwendalyn _books_ (gwendalyn_books_) I am joining in

Toya (the reading chemist) (thereadingchemist) | 12 comments Hi everyone! I a so excited to be leading the discussion for A Curse So Dark and Lonely!

First things first, how far along are you in your reading? What are your initial thoughts?

message 5: by gwendalyn (new) - added it

gwendalyn _books_ (gwendalyn_books_) I am a fast reader. Where should we be in the book?

Toya (the reading chemist) (thereadingchemist) | 12 comments That's a great question! I have already finished the book myself. I am not sure how many others are joining the conversation. If it's just us, we can discuss it as you go.

message 7: by gwendalyn (new) - added it

gwendalyn _books_ (gwendalyn_books_) Well, I already it also.

Toya (the reading chemist) (thereadingchemist) | 12 comments Works for me, first question, what were your initial thoughts when you met Harper? Did you compare her to Belle?

message 9: by gwendalyn (new) - added it

gwendalyn _books_ (gwendalyn_books_) Yes and No, I thought given the circumstances she struggles with might put her in a character roll that she is a character that the present day young reader can identify more with

message 10: by gwendalyn (new) - added it

gwendalyn _books_ (gwendalyn_books_) I really would like to have more participants, because it’s really not a decision group if I am the person participating.
Thanks so much for everything. I think we need to wait for others. With only one leader and one participant it’s not much of a good discussion group.
So I am exited out until we a group.
Thanks so much for everything!!

Toya (the reading chemist) (thereadingchemist) | 12 comments Sounds like plan to me! Can't wait to get everything started. And sorry, this is my first time as discussion leader, so I am still learning.

message 12: by gwendalyn (new) - added it

gwendalyn _books_ (gwendalyn_books_) Thanks

Toya (the reading chemist) (thereadingchemist) | 12 comments I just want to check in to see if anyone else is joining in on the discussion.

✨Emily | Procrastinating • Bibliophile (emilouie014) | 5 comments I’m joining. I’m currently 300~ pages into the books and I’m loving it so far.

Toya (the reading chemist) (thereadingchemist) | 12 comments Emily ✨ wrote: "I’m joining. I’m currently 300~ pages into the books and I’m loving it so far."

That's great! When you're done with the book, let me know and we can start chatting. Happy reading!

Alyssa (a1yssa3) I LOVE this book!! I just finished it a couple weeks ago, pretty much unable to put it down!! :) SO good!

Toya (the reading chemist) (thereadingchemist) | 12 comments Since there are a few of us now, I wanted to check I to see if I’d everyone has finished reading.

If so, what were your initial thoughts about this book?

message 18: by gwendalyn (new) - added it

gwendalyn _books_ (gwendalyn_books_) Toya .. I am completely swamped. I am not going to be able to participate. So sorry!

message 19: by Anya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anya (burnpineperish) I just finished it, and I LOVED it!! When I started it, I thought it was a bit boring, but it picked up really quickly and I was on the edge of my seat for the rest of the book.

Toya (the reading chemist) (thereadingchemist) | 12 comments No worries Gwendalyn!

Anya, I know what you mean. I was a bit confused as to what was happening since the beginning is a bit chaotic due to the two different realms. I didn’t even realize that Harper had saved the original chosen girl from Grey with a tire iron until I reread that chapter for clarity.

✨Emily | Procrastinating • Bibliophile (emilouie014) | 5 comments At the beginning, I was a bit on the fence since I’ve read and enjoyed other retellings of Beauty and the Beast. But around the middle of the book, I was full on invested in the characters. I don’t know if this is unpopular but I wasn’t the biggest fan of the epilogue. I think I’d be happier if it was a standalone since I’m not a fan of that type of ending twist.

message 22: by Anya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anya (burnpineperish) Emily, I agree. I think the twist was a little bit silly. Sometimes books don't need to be a series.

Toya (the reading chemist) (thereadingchemist) | 12 comments Anya and Emily, I definitely agree with both of you. I think that if the epilogue didn't happen, this book would have been a perfect standalone. With the epilogue, I now am invested in the series because I want to know what is going to happen to the future of the kingdom with the new information surrounding Grey.

What did you think of the way the beast was portrayed? Turning into a beast every season versus starting out as one?

✨Emily | Procrastinating • Bibliophile (emilouie014) | 5 comments It’s like a countdown and it created anticipation for when it’ll happen. Not gonna lie but I was really devastated when Rhen turned to the beast because of what he was about to do.

Toya (the reading chemist) (thereadingchemist) | 12 comments Emily ✨ wrote: "It’s like a countdown and it created anticipation for when it’ll happen. Not gonna lie but I was really devastated when Rhen turned to the beast because of what he was about to do."

Same here! The chapters that were basically grunts were really heart wrenching for me. I mean we knew that he was eventually going to turn, but it definitely was much more sinister than what I was expecting.

What did you think about Grey as a character?

message 26: by Anya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anya (burnpineperish) I started out hating Grey, but as the story progressed I loved him! He seemed so mean, but under that outer shell, he was such a sweetheart. I don't ship Harper with him though.

Toya (the reading chemist) (thereadingchemist) | 12 comments Anya wrote: "I started out hating Grey, but as the story progressed I loved him! He seemed so mean, but under that outer shell, he was such a sweetheart. I don't ship Harper with him though."

Yes, yes, yes! I definitely started falling in love with him when he started opening up to Harper. I did find it amusing when Rhen would get jealous and seek inside information on how Grey was able to break through Rhen's exterior.

I also don't ship Harper and Grey. I still see Grey as the loyal soldier and confidant. I definitely think Rhen and Harper should end up together (unless she decides to forgo any sort of relationship, which I don't put past her).

What was your favorite scene from the book?

message 28: by Anya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anya (burnpineperish) Toya wrote: "Anya wrote: "I started out hating Grey, but as the story progressed I loved him! He seemed so mean, but under that outer shell, he was such a sweetheart. I don't ship Harper with him though."

Yes,..."

I know it's a really small scene, but my favorite scene was when Harper chugged a glass of water, fist bumped Grey, and said "It's a tradition in D.C."

Seriously though, my favorite scene was when they were in the inn, and Harper pretended to be the Princess of Disi for the first time. It was such a cool moment for her!