The Cosy Bookish Corner discussion

Archived BOTM Discussions > April BOTM - Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Tanya (tanya23510) | 432 comments Mod
Hello Everyone!

It's that time again! Here is the discussion thread for the April BOTM for Me Before You by Jojo Moyes for the Love is in the Air Theme :)

I've heard a lot of good things about this one, let's hope it's worth the hype!

message 2: by Anna Viktoria (new)

Anna Viktoria | 1 comments I've read the book and it really has a nice plot. I'd say it's better than the movie version :) I love the depth of the story.

message 3: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Anna Viktoria wrote: "I'd say it's better than the movie version :) " let's be honest, when is it not? 😉

If you have any comments on the you'd like to share, please do so! 😁

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sayrawww) | 51 comments I was not expecting to like this so much. I am pleasantly surprised though!

Tanya,

The book I borrowed from the library has a few book club discussions at the back, would you like me to post the questions?

message 5: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

I'm so happy to hear that, I felt the same way!

That would be great, thank you!

message 6: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

I finished the book yesterday, and I know I have said this before but I really did enjoy it much more than I thought, and not only that, I also feel that this book has a lot of good talking points!

So I am sat here now, armed with my hot cup of tea and Easy Spotify playlist.. and here are a few discussion questions!

What were your expectations about the book?

(view spoiler) and yet, we keep reading these stories, which usually hit the Bestsellers list. Would you say that the way the story is presented is just as important as the story itself? Or are the characters, with their background and personalities, that are the most important?

What did you think about Patrick? (view spoiler)

How did you feel about Lou's personal development throughout the book?

Did you have a favourite character?

And finally... will you be reading the other two books in the series, and will you be watching the film?

message 7: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

So much to say, so little time!!

I'm not going to lie, I didn't have high expectations for this book, despite knowing that it was a Bestseller. (view spoiler)

(view spoiler) and yet, we keep reading these stories, which usually hit the Bestsellers list. Would you say that the way the story is presented is just as important as the story itself? Or are the characters, with their background and personalities, that are the most important?
For the past few years, I have felt myself slowly changing from a hopeless romantic to a cynic, but it is stories like these that make me realise that deep down I will always be a hopeless romantic, haha. I think that the way the story is told is so important, but I would dare say that the characters are probably just as important, if not more. Multi-dimensional characters, with flaws, a history and a future and dreams and aspirations will make you fall in love with them and keep you captivated throughout the story.

What did you think about Patrick? (view spoiler)
(view spoiler)

Again, I enjoyed it much more than I thought! When we first meet Lou, she's a small-town "Plain Jane" (Oh, I do hate that saying) with no particular dreams and aspirations which she seemed to be perfectly contempt with... except that she wasn't. Obviously, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a nice, easy simple life, as long as that is what truly makes you happy - which was clearly not the case for Lou. (view spoiler)

Nathan!! I felt like he was the upbeat character that we needed in the story, the no-nonsense friend that Will needed, the rock in the story. (view spoiler)

And finally... will you be reading the other two books in the series, and will you be watching the film?
If all goes to plan, I will be watching the movie tonight and I am definitely planning on reading the next two books!

I rated this book as 4 stars, only because (view spoiler)

message 8: by Sarah (last edited Apr 14, 2019 09:02AM) (new)

Sarah (sayrawww) | 51 comments I do not have time to answer the questions/discuss the book today (it's my husband's birthday so we are off to write our own romantical love story LOL). However, I wanted to post the questions for discussion listed in the ebook I borrowed from the library. I'll discuss sometime this week!

Adding a spoiler filter, just in case.

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

No problem, have a nice day and thank you!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sayrawww) | 51 comments What were your expectations about the book?
I had seen the movie a couple of years ago, so I already had an idea about what the book was about and how it would turn out. However, this was the first romance I've read in a while and the first where an AB falls for a person with a disability. I really enjoyed the development of the characters; especially Lou's family dynamic. I thought the author successfully captured the essence of siblings/sisters.

What did you think about Patrick?
Patrick is my least favorite character in the book. (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

This is a hard question to answer. I really liked all of the characters, except for Patrick and Will's family. I don't think I have an absolute favorite though. I liked Will's sarcasm and sense of humor. I thought Nathan was sweet and definitely deserved his own happy ending.

I watched the film before reading the book a few years ago and I just watched it again after reading the book this time around. (view spoiler) I definitely plan on reading the next two books. (view spoiler)

Possible spoiler questions:
(view spoiler)

message 11: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

So many interesting questions and answers! I may not be able to get stuck in until this weekend though, but I will as soon as I can

message 12: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

1. If you were Louisa, would you have quit working for the Traynors? If yes, at what point?
Uhm, I don't think I would have quit either (view spoiler)

2. Were you able to relate to the way Will felt after his accident? What about his outlook on life did you find most difficult to understand or accept?
Although luckily I am not able to relate, I can only try to put myself in Will's shoes as much as possible and I feel that I would most likely react with the same attitude. I would like to think that eventually I would come to terms with my situation and carry on being my positive self as much as possible, but then again, we may never really know how we would really react, until it would (and hopefully never!!) happen to us.

3. Discuss the meaning of the novel's title. To whom do the "me" and "you" refer?
Sarah, your interpretation was interesting, I don't think I would have thought of it that way!
What I thought was, that "Me before you" was referring to Will having to make the difficult decision to put himself first before everybody else's feelings because he knew what was best for him as he was the only one living his life. I also feel that Lou learnt to put herself first on a few occasions.

This is quite an interesting question, I might have a look to see if I can find any comments from the Author on this.

4. Louisa often finds Mrs. Traynor cold and judgmental. Is there an appropriate way to behave in Mrs. Traynor's situation?
Well no, not really. I feel that she did the best she could.

5. What is your opinion of Mr. Traynor? Did it change after you read his side of the story?
Oh hell no! (view spoiler)

6. Why is Louisa able to reach Will when so many others could not?
I agree with Sarah, it's because she just treated him like a normal person.

7. Were you as surprised as Lou to learn of Will's plans?
A bit. When I started the book, I didn't know that that's where the story was heading, but after a few chapters, I started to get that vibe.

8. Compare Louisa's relationship with Treena to Will's relationship with Georgina. Do siblings know one another any better simply because they are related?
Oh no, I think it all depends on the family dynamic and their upbringing. Lou's family was not rich by any means, and what that did was brought them closer together. When something's wrong, you need to talk about it because you live in close proximity to each other, you can't just go to the left wing of the castle to avoid each other! And you need to talk and learn how to cheer up the people you love, because you cannot simply throw money at the problem and hope it goes away.

9. Would Patrick have asked Louisa to move in with him if he hadn't felt threated by Will? If Lou had never accepted her job with the Traynors, where would her relationship with Patrick have gone?
Definitely not! I'm not sure how they would have ended up. I would like to think that Lou would have found some sense at some point along the way and broke up with him.

10. Discuss Louisa's own secret ties to the castle. Would most girls in her situation have blamed themselves? Should Treena have behaved differently in the aftermath?
From the horrible stories I've heard, unfortunately, yes, they most likely would have. I think Treena could have handled it better and let her sister know that it was not her fault and maybe encourage her to speak up about it if she wanted to... but then again, it was a few years before the book starts, and if I remember correctly Treena is younger than Lou, so she was probably too young to understand it fully herself.

message 13: by Kelsey (last edited Apr 21, 2019 06:38AM) (new)

Kelsey (kelso30) | 82 comments As usual I'm forever late to the game but..

I didn't really have any, I honestly didn't even read the description when I voted for it, I just picked the book I hadn't read yet. So I really didn't know what I was in for until I started, about a chapter in I flipped the book over and read the description.

Would you say that the way the story is presented is just as important as the story itself? Or are the characters, with their background and personalities, that are the most important?
I definitely agree that the characters and story are the most important part. (view spoiler)

What did you think about Patrick?
(view spoiler)

I enjoyed her eyes opening to the world and how insightful she became, really trying to see the situation from the eyes of everyone, so different from the mindset she started with. I felt like the drama with her sister was rather dramatic, but I never lived with my siblings as an adult so I could be wrong. lol.

I don't really know. But I liked the sarcasm and banter between Will and Louise more than anyone else I think. If I HAD to choose one, I would probably pick Will.

I am currently reading After You I didn't realize there was another one, so I'm not sure, I guess it depends on how this one ends. And as usual, I'm cheap, so now that I know the movie exists, I will probably watch it if I find it streaming free somewhere. :)

I am going to tackle the other set of questions later.

message 14: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Kelsey wrote: "I am currently reading After You"
Thank you for your answers! How did you find "After You"? I'm about half-way through it, it's not what I was expecting but I am enjoying it.

message 15: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelso30) | 82 comments Tanya wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "I am currently reading After You"
Thank you for your answers! How did you find "After You"? I'm about half-way through it, it's not what I was expecting but I am enjoying it."

I liked it but i didn't LOVE it. I didn't read a description first so I again had no clue what I was getting into. I still haven't decided if I will read the third. (view spoiler)