2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2019 > June Group Read Nomination

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4556 comments Hi everyone!

It's time to nominate for June! The theme is Fashion

Please remember to state a connection to the theme when you nominate. Thank you :)

Here are some short rules for nominating books:

~ Each person can nominate 1 book.

~ Book must be available both as a physical copy and as an ebook.

~ Authors: Please do not nominate your own book.

~ Please include the name of the book and the author or link to the book.

~ Please do not nominate books that are part of a series, unless it is the first book.

~ You can second someone else's nomination, but that will count as your nomination.

~ When nominating, please state a connection to the theme.

~ You cannot nominate a book which has previously been a group read. Past buddy reads are fine. (See Group Reads in the bookshelf)

This thread will be closed by April 26th, and we will choose ten books for the poll. If there are more than ten books nominated, we will choose the ten most nominated. If there is still a tie to get into the top ten, we'll go back to the Goodreads average rating to see which is highest.

message 2: by TCampbell (new)

TCampbell | 222 comments Vulgar Favors: Andrew Cunanan, Gianni Versace, and the Largest Failed Manhunt in U.S. History by Maureen Orth.
This is the book that the FX series was based on and the connection to fashion is Gianni Versace (and Donatella)'s design house.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy (museprint) Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion
Dives into the problems of fast fashion industry and culture.

message 4: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2711 comments Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris

Connection to fashion is the title, even though likely the collection of essays has a multitude of different topics.

message 5: by Alta (new)

Alta | 120 comments The Designer by Marius Gabriel.

Historical fiction novel with Paris during WWII as the backdrop. The "designer" referenced in the title of this novel is famous fashion designer, Christian Dior.

message 6: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Apr 02, 2019 08:47PM) (new)

oshizu | 4944 comments I was hoping to nominate Lucy Siegle's book on sustainable fashion: To Die For: Is Fashion Wearing Out the World?.
However, for some reason, it is no longer available as an ebook.

So, I wish to second Amy's nomination of Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion.

message 7: by OvyReadz (last edited Apr 02, 2019 07:41PM) (new)

OvyReadz | 4 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

I am not sure if the entire plot is around fashion but the synopsis says, "Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life..........." so I guess it counts.........and have heard great things about this one!

message 8: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6304 comments OvyReadz wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

I am not sure if the entire plot is around fashion but th..."

I second this book!

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Carrico | 40 comments What about The Devil Wears Prada?

It follows a young woman working as a personal assistant to the editor of a highly-successful fashion magazine.

message 10: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 375 comments Danielle wrote: "What about The Devil Wears Prada?

It follows a young woman working as a personal assistant to the editor of a highly-successful fashion magazine."

I was just about to suggest this, so I’ll second. I love this movie but have never read the book.

message 11: by Vale (new)

Vale Elgueta | 29 comments Perhaps it's not ALL about fashion, but I would like to nominate the book Memoirs of a Geisha. It has basically a little bit of everything, but fashion is always one of the base topicssince one of geishas's obligations was always to have their personal presentation impecable. Plus the movie was awesome, so I can only imagine what the book is like =)

message 12: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments I'll second Memoirs of a Geisha.

message 13: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3809 comments Great nominations, everyone!

I'd like to nominate The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. It's a classic that I've wanted to read for ages and it fits the theme as wearing only white is a fashion choice.

message 14: by Chantal (new)

Chantal | 430 comments OvyReadz wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

I am not sure if the entire plot is around fashion but th..."

This one, it is in my to read pile.

message 15: by Lei (new)

Lei (wfsm) | 192 comments I'll second The Devil Wears Prada, what a great movie all about fashion and life, and I want to read the book too.

message 16: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4556 comments Ilona wrote: "Great nominations, everyone!

I'd like to nominate The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. It's a classic that I've wanted to read for ages and it fits the theme as wearing..."

I will second this ^^

message 17: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4556 comments Thank you everyone, keep 'em coming!

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarabelle) | 250 comments Ilona wrote: "Great nominations, everyone!

I'd like to nominate The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. It's a classic that I've wanted to read for ages and it fits the theme as wearing..."

I'd like to second this!

message 19: by ⋯Kaylee (new)

⋯Kaylee Pratt⋯ (kayleebonraylee) | 59 comments Vale wrote: "Perhaps it's not ALL about fashion, but I would like to nominate the book Memoirs of a Geisha. It has basically a little bit of everything, but fashion is always one of the base topicssi..."

Memoirs of a Geisha is amazing. I third this nomination!

message 20: by Ice (last edited Apr 20, 2019 04:55AM) (new)

Ice M. | 72 comments I would like to nominate Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan.

While fashion in itself isn't the central theme of the book, we can see the role it plays in better portraying the characters (based on what saw in the movie). An example of which is Asians generally preferring to wear the color red for special events, as it is believed to be a lucky color. Also, because the book involves 'crazy rich' characters, we get to see an abundance of branded and high-end clothing and high fashion.

message 22: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4556 comments Thanks everyone! I'm closing nominations in two days.

message 23: by Sasha (new)

Sasha | 1 comments June - Fashion
“Wardrobe Crisis - How We Went From Sunday Best to Fast Fashion” by Clare Press. Informative and resourceful book, covers everything from history to the whole fashion chain, from an ethical and environmental point.

message 24: by LaNona (last edited Apr 29, 2019 07:49PM) (new)

LaNona | 161 comments Project Paris by Lisa Barham. The main character gets to visit Paris, and ends up looking for the mysterious designer of some fashion pieces for a runway show.

message 25: by Hanny (new)

Hanny Bong (honeyread1) | 5 comments i would like to nominate A Man Called Ove

message 26: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4556 comments LaNona wrote: "Project Paris by Lisa Barham. The main character gets to visit Paris, and ends up looking for the mysterious designer of some fashion pieces for a runway show."

This is the second book in a series. All books nominated needs to be standalone or the first book in the series since most prefer to read books in order even when they are only loosely connected.

message 27: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4556 comments Hanny wrote: "i would like to nominate A Man Called Ove"

we have already read this unfortunately.

message 28: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4556 comments Poll is up! Sorry it is a little late.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/5...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.