Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Separate wrong editions

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick (tarun906) I don't know how this book has taken the shape of such monstrosity. Many different books have been added in "edition" section. It appears all book related to this mythology have been added to this.

The Mahabharata

All the listed editions need separation.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41655 comments Mod
On Goodreads, different translations of a book are combined into a single work.

message 3: by Nick (last edited Apr 02, 2019 10:40PM) (new)

Nick (tarun906) rivka wrote: "On Goodreads, different translations of a book are combined into a single work."

Well, it appears to be wrong in this case. Mahabharata is a very old work and there have been countless translations/retellings/fictions based-on-work by different authors in different ages.

The mentioned book is a series of 10 volumes and I don't see how its ratings and reviews could be the same as other books. For e.g. see these books which are both included in "other editions" for the above book:

Mahabharata
The Mahabharata

These have the same description and these are two different. books.

I think that this change has happened fairly recently since, at least, this book didn't have this form some times back. It appears that somebody who didn't have accurate knowledge of the work had merged them based on the name of the translated work only.

I strongly appeal to demerge them because the review/ratings/descriptions are for the "translated" books rather than original work and also to be fair to various authors.