Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Monthly Reading Challenges > April 2019: Mausoleum at Halicarnassus Reporting Thread

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments Post your completed books and scores here.

message 2: by Varecia (new)

Varecia | 215 comments Not going to score a lot of points here, but it was the best option in my TBR pile...

Die weiße Festung by Orhan Pamuk Die weiße Festung by Orhan Pamuk

THEME/CONTENT
5 points: Book set in Turkey
2 Points: Book is translated from the Turkish language

AUTHOR
5 Points: Written by a Turkish Author

TITLE
1 Point: Title has exactly 3 words (not including subtitle)

BOOK LENGTH
2 Points: 201-300 pages

Score: 15 points

message 3: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1406 comments Book #1 read for the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus:

The Fisherman of Halicarnassus The man who made Bodrum famous by Roger Williams The Fisherman of Halicarnassus: The man who made Bodrum famous by Roger Williams

THEME/CONTENT
4 points: Book mentions the the the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus
Page 3: Halicarnassus, the ancient name for Bodrum that predates the Greeks, was an important city, the capital of Caria, and famous for the enormous tomb of its ruler, Mausolus, which became one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
3 Points: Book mentions either Halicarnassus or Bodrum, Turkey
1 Point: Book characters visit a tomb or mausoleum (Cevat Sakir visits the former site of the mausoleum and the castle built from its stones; he also visits the British Museum)

TITLE
5 Points: Book title and subtitle contain all of the letters in Halicarnassus (Halicarnassus)
3 Points: Title contains a word or name that contains 13 letters (Halicarnassus)
2 Points: Title contains a word with double letters (Halicarnassus)

COVER (must post picture)
Pretty bland cover

BOOK LENGTH
1 Point: 100-200 pages (110 pages)

Total: 24 points

message 4: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 3191 comments The Sultan of Byzantium by Selçuk Altun
The Sultan of Byzantium by Selçuk Altun

Theme:
5 points - set in Turkey
2 points - translated from Turkish

Author:
5 points - Turkish author
4 points - has initials found in MAUSOLUS in first and last names

Cover:
1 point - has a picture of a horse

Length:
2 points - 201-300 pages

Total points: 19

message 5: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1406 comments Rosemarie wrote: "The Sultan of Byzantium by Selçuk Altun
The Sultan of Byzantium by Selçuk Altun

I hadn’t heard of this book before, but it sounds fascinating. Did you like it?

message 6: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 3191 comments It was a fun read, and I learned a lot about Byzantine history. The book was a mystery of sorts, and I enjoyed it.

message 7: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1406 comments Good to know! My local library has it, so I’ll have to keep it in mind.

message 8: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1406 comments Book #2 read for the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus:

The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk

THEME/CONTENT
3 Points: Book mentions Bodrum, Turkey (Fasih Fahir and his wife Zarife bought a house in Bodrum)

AUTHOR

TITLE
2 Points: Title contains a word with double letters (ex. boSS, faLL) (Innocence)

2 Points: Shows a seaport (Istanbul)

BOOK LENGTH
5 Points: >500 pages (536)

Total: 24 points

message 9: by Samy (last edited Apr 29, 2019 11:37AM) (new)

Samy | 98 comments Read Divorce Turkish Style by Esmahan Aykol Divorce Turkish Style by Esmahan Aykol translated by Ruth Whitehouse. Light-hearted murder mystery. I read another Turkish book called The Lost Word by Oya Baydar that I thought was really good, but unfortunately that one had much fewer points. Some of the books others in the group read also look interesting!

THEME/CONTENT
3 Points: Book mentions Bodrum (Jasmin, the murder victim's sister-in-law lives in Bodrum)

AUTHOR
4 Points: Author has initials using letters found in Mausolus in their first and last name A in both: EsmAhAN Aykol

TITLE
5 Points: Book title and subtitle contain all of the letters in Halicarnassus: Title: dIvoRCe tURkISH Style and Subtitle: A kAtI HIRSCHeL IStANbUL mURder mystery
1 point: Title has exactly 3 words (not including subtitle): Divorce Turkish Style

COVER
2 Points: Shows a seaport (profile of Istanbul's skyline) along the bottom. Technically the mosque shown has a tomb in it, but that's not its primary feature, so I'll leave that one alone.

BOOK LENGTH
2 points: 200-300 (235)

Total: 29 points

message 10: by Hélène (last edited Apr 30, 2019 07:19AM) (new)

Hélène | 343 comments Istanbul Souvenirs D'une Ville by Orhan Pamuk Istanbul: Memories and the City by Orhan Pamuk. I read it in its translation into French : Istanbul: Souvenirs D'une Ville.

THEME/CONTENT

AUTHOR

TITLE
2 Points: Title contains a word with double letters (ex. boSS, faLL) : two "L"s in the title of the French version ("ville").

BOOK LENGTH
3 Points: 301- 400 pages

Total : 17 points

message 11: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Apr 30, 2019 06:56PM) (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments My Grandmother A Memoir by Fethiye Çetin My Grandmother: A Memoir by My Grandmother: A Memoir.

THEME/CONTENT

AUTHOR

TITLE
0 Points

0 Points

BOOK LENGTH
1 Point: 100-200 pages

Total: 13 points

message 12: by Samy (new)

Samy | 98 comments Hélène wrote: "Istanbul Souvenirs D'une Ville by Orhan Pamuk Istanbul: Memories and the City by Orhan Pamuk. I read it in its translation into French : [book:Istanbul: Souvenirs D..."

Hélène, perhaps you would like to add 2 points since the cover shows Istanbul (a seaport)?

message 13: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 343 comments Oh yes, I didn't think of that. Thank you, Samy!