Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > One-Click / series-to-buy: How to ID

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (last edited Mar 30, 2019 08:48PM) (new)

Emily | 12995 comments The ones that are one-click buys look like this:
Harry Potter
They are Kindle editions.
(I will be merging and NAB-ing that one soon.)
You can look them up on Amazon by ASIN to be sure. When you type the ASIN in the Amazon search field, it will show you a list of the individual books, like here:

https://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-8...

ETA
A1 and A2 are real box sets, meant to be sold this way.
A3 and A4 are one-click buys.
B. is a real set.
C. and D. are one-click buys.

(E is the same book as C)
The description usually says "From book 1:..."

message 2: by Emy (last edited Mar 30, 2019 08:56PM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5020 comments There are three things I look for with those Kindle series-to-buy records

1. Title is "Series name (## Book Series)"
2. Cover has "stacking" images of the various covers in the series
3. Description starts something like (in bold) "From Book 1: Otherland..." and then a description of book 1 only.

NB #2 is NOT a dead giveaway on its own - some genuine Kindle anthologised series have that style cover image too, but with the other options, it's a give away that means I only need to do a 2 second check that the ASIN matches what I'm expecting :)

EDIT: German records have "(Reihe in ## Bänden)" for point #1 above. Not found these records in other languages besides English and German. Yet.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 12995 comments Yes, that is fine. Book 1 is usually the best merge target.

message 4: by annob (last edited Mar 30, 2019 10:19PM) (new)

annob | 1484 comments Corinne wrote: "When I find a one click by that I want to merge. I put it in the delete thread with book 1? "

I wish to mention that a one click buy that has 0-5 adds (shelvings) can be merged by any Librarian. Only those who have more than 5 shelvings require a superlibrarian to do the merger. The delete thread is a good place to request deletions, but the wait might be shorter if the task of deleting one click buys is shared among all Librarians when possible.

Edit: As an example, the A3 link in the original post needs a super to be merged, as it has 6 adds. (Info visible to all members in the 'Rating details' link on the book page.)

message 5: by Emily (last edited Mar 30, 2019 10:01PM) (new)

Emily | 12995 comments annob wrote: "I wish to mention that a one click buy that has 0-5 adds (shelvings) can be merged by any Librarian."

Yes, I meant to mention this! You are welcome to post those separately.

message 6: by annob (last edited Mar 31, 2019 05:02AM) (new)

annob | 1484 comments Since this thread hopefully attract many Librarians to help out, I thought it wise to mention that it is prudent (for the Librarian) to delete any additional author names that isn't the same as on the merge target before a one-click buy is merged.

Otherwise those author names (might be multiple translators, editors, cover artists throughout a series) will all be transferred to the target when the one-click-buy is deleted. It might be easy to miss this when new to doing mergers.

message 7: by Emily (last edited Mar 31, 2019 07:35AM) (new)

Emily | 12995 comments ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1
This is super important.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6548 comments What is a "one-click buy"?

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily | 12995 comments With "one click" you buy all the books in the 'series'...so after you buy it, the Kindle will download all 8 books or however many, individually. (as opposed to one omnibus book containing all 8 books)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6548 comments Emily wrote: "With "one click" you buy all the books in the 'series'...so after you buy it, the Kindle will download all 8 books or however many, individually. (as opposed to one omnibus book containing all 8 bo..."

Aha! Sort of like that Shakespeare one in my NAB? thread.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily | 12995 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Aha! Sort of like that Shakespeare one in my NAB? thread."

Exactly like that