The History Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE > BUDDY READ: CRAZY HORSE AND CUSTER

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 19, 2019 04:35AM) (new)

Bentley | 44168 comments Mod
Buddy Read for Crazy Horse and Custer by Stephen Ambrose - beginning April 7th through May 8th
Update - a chapter a week - beginning April 22nd through September 30th - however you can read it on your own schedule as well.

This buddy read was requested by and will be led by Alexw Bentley

Crazy Horse and Custer by Stephen E. Ambrose by Stephen E. Ambrose Stephen E. Ambrose

Synopsis:

On June 25, 1876, 611 men of the United States 7th Cavalry rode towards the banks of the Little Bighorn where three thousand Indians stood waiting for battle. The lives of two great war leaders would soon become forever linked: Crazy Horse, leader of the Oglala Sioux, and General George Armstrong Custer. This masterly dual biography tells the epic story of the lives of these two men: both were fighters of legendary daring, both became honoured leaders in their societies when still astonishingly young, and both died when close to the supreme political heights. Yet they - like the nations they represented - were as different as day and night. Custer had won his spurs in the American Civil War; his watchword was 'To promotion - or death!' and his restless ambition characterized a white nation in search of expansion and progress. Crazy Horse fought for a nomadic way of life fast yielding before the buffalo-hunters and the incursions of the white man. The Great Plains of North America provided the stage - and the prize.

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Mar 30, 2019 09:43AM) (new)

About Stephen Ambrose - the author:

Stephen E. Ambrose was a renowned historian and acclaimed author of more than thirty books. Among his New York Times bestsellers are Nothing Like It in the World, Citizen Soldiers, Band of Brothers, D-Day - June 6, 1944, and Undaunted Courage. Dr. Ambrose was a retired Boyd Professor of History at the University of New Orleans and a contributing editor for the Quarterly Journal of Military History.

Milton S. Eisenhower, Educational Statesman by Stephen E. Ambrose Citizen Soldiers The US Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany by Stephen E. Ambrose Rise to Globalism 2american Foreign Policy, 1938-1972 by Stephen E. Ambrose To America Personal Reflections of an Historian by Stephen E. Ambrose Pegasus Bridge 6 June, 1944 by Stephen E. Ambrose This Vast Land by Stephen E. Ambrose Nixon The Triumph of a Politician by Stephen E. Ambrose The Wild Blue by Stephen E. Ambrose Duty, Honor, Country A History Of West Point by Stephen E. Ambrose D-Day June 6, 1944 -- The Climactic Battle of WWII by Stephen E. Ambrose Nothing Like it In The World The Men Who Built The Transcontinental Railroad 1863 - 1869 by Stephen E. Ambrose Comrades Brothers, Fathers, Sons, Pals by Stephen E. Ambrose Ike's Spies Eisenhower and the Espionage Establishment by Stephen E. Ambrose Lewis & Clark by Stephen E. Ambrose Witness to America An Illustrated Documentary History of the United States from the Revolution to Today by Stephen E. Ambrose Americans at War by Stephen E. Ambrose The Victors Eisenhower and His Boys The Men of World War II by Stephen E. Ambrose Comrades by Stephen E. Ambrose Eisenhower Soldier, General Of The Army, President-Elect 1890-1952 by Stephen E. Ambrose Supreme Commander by Stephen E. Ambrose and many more - all by Stephen E. Ambrose Stephen E. Ambrose

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Mar 30, 2019 09:37AM) (new)

Table of Contents

Cover
Title Page
Dedication
A Word of Special Thanks

Contents
List of Photographs
List of Maps

Introduction

Part One

Chapter 1: The Setting and the People: The Great Plains
Chapter 2: The Setting and the People: Ohio
Chapter 3: “Curly”
Chapter 4: Curly’s Vision
Chapter 5: Autie
Chapter 6: Custer at West Point
Chapter 7: Custer and Crazy Horse on the Eve of Manhood

Part Two

Chapter 8: War and Love Among the Oglalas
Chapter 9: Guerrilla Warfare, Indian Style
Chapter 10: War and Love Among the Americans
Chapter 11: The Boy General and the Glorious War
Chapter 12: Crazy Horse and Custer as Young Warriors

Part Three

Chapter 13: Crazy Horse and the Fort Phil Kearny Battle
Chapter 14: Custer Comes to the Plains
Chapter 15: Summer on the Plains: 1867
Chapter 16: The Treaty of 1868 and the Battle of the Washita
Chapter 17: Truce on the High Plains, 1869-73

Part Four

Chapter 18: Crazy Horse and Custer on the Yellowstone, 1873
Chapter 19: The Panic of 1873 and the Black Hills Expedition of 1874
Chapter 20: Politics: Red and White
Chapter 21: Crazy Horse Fights on the Rosebud While Custer Closes In
Chapter 22: The Battle of the Little Bighorn
Chapter 23: The Death of Crazy Horse
Chapter 24: What Happened to the Others
Acknowledgments
Notes
Bibliography
Index
Copyright

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Mar 30, 2019 09:44AM) (new)

Alex W will post recommended reading schedule and discussion topics, etc. I will send out an event notification for sign up.

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

AlexW - please post the reading schedule and some discussion topics to get this started. I will extend the reading time for you.

message 6: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 10 comments Thanks for all the work that you have done on this but I have a family matter that has come up which will not allow me to read the book

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

OK, thank you for letting me know Alex W - that is ok and I hope things work out - life happens and I will send out a notification for folks who would like to read the book and you can pop in when you can. I will set it up for you and we will discuss the book. Whenever your family matter has stabilized then the thread will still be here for you. We understand.

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

All - I will extend the reading time to a chapter a week and I will send out the event notification today.

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Beginning April 22nd - April 28th - Chapter 1: The Setting and the People: The Great Plains

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.