Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Doomsday Book [Apr 16, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
Doomsday Book - Connie Willis
Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel, #1) by Connie Willis
April 16, 2019.

message 2: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3833 comments Thanks Jenna!

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
Tammie wrote: "Thanks Jenna!"

You're welcome :) Enjoy!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1337 comments Well poo! Someone said this was on sale for $1.99 in Jan. I missed it. I would have tried to read it. Oh well, enjoy!

message 5: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3833 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Well poo! Someone said this was on sale for $1.99 in Jan. I missed it. I would have tried to read it. Oh well, enjoy!"

I wish it was on sale now! My personal book club chose this to read in April and I have to buy it.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1337 comments I just got it from my library! They freaking had it!! I don’t know if I can get to it because I have several due soon 😫. My stress!! Sorry you have to buy it!

message 7: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3833 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "I just got it from my library! They freaking had it!! I don’t know if I can get to it because I have several due soon 😫. My stress!! Sorry you have to buy it!"

My library is lame and doesn't have it.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1337 comments My library is 99% of the time lame! I almost fell over. BUT, I prob wouldn’t ny get to read it anyway. Sigh

message 9: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3833 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "My library is 99% of the time lame! I almost fell over. BUT, I prob wouldn’t ny get to read it anyway. Sigh"

I just requested that they get it. That has worked in the past, so maybe it will this time.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1337 comments I have done that at my tiny library. 6 months to a year later they will get said book and I have already bought abd read it 😂🤣

message 11: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3833 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "I have done that at my tiny library. 6 months to a year later they will get said book and I have already bought abd read it 😂🤣"

Haha that's pretty slow. Mine is usually pretty quick to respond.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1337 comments Ihghggvjfgjyghuy shit 😂🤣

message 13: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2372 comments I have owned this book for a while now but unfortunately I won't be able to fit it in in April but I'll be interested to see if you all like it, if so i'll try and get to it soon myself.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1337 comments Sooooooo many books!!!!! This is trying to push me into a reading slump 😕

message 15: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2372 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Sooooooo many books!!!!! This is trying to push me into a reading slump 😕"

I suffered a slump sooooo badly in the last three months of 2018 from trying to fit in more than I could manage. I wasn't able to fit in books I could just pick up on a whim and so I couldn't then face picking up books I had committed to. But the good thing about this group is even if you end up missing out on a buddy read that you want to join chances are good that a buddy read of the same book/series will come around again sooner rather than later.

Its what happened with the Demon Cycle last year. I ended up not being able to fit it in and neither could Anni so we decided to read it together in 2019 instead and now more people are planning to join us :-)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1337 comments Hailee wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Sooooooo many books!!!!! This is trying to push me into a reading slump 😕"

I suffered a slump sooooo badly in the last three months of 2018 from trying to fit in..."

That’s good to know!! I also have had some tell me they will come back to the threads whenever someone talks about a book. I’m hopeful. There are soooo many of my books and preorders laying around on the floor because I can’t pick them up so I can read others. 😕. I just want to belong with everyone 😫

I’m going to try to slack off or something

message 17: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3833 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "That’s good to know!! I also have had some tell me they will come back to the threads whenever someone talks about a book. I’m hopeful. There are soooo many of my books and preorders laying around on the floor because I can’t pick them up so I can read others. 😕. I just want to belong with everyone 😫"

Just do what you can. We will always wait for you and discuss later.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1337 comments Thank you 😊🙏🏻

message 19: by Anny (last edited Apr 12, 2019 08:35PM) (new)

Anny | 241 comments I am starting early since I have finished my other books :)

At first the summary didn't really interest me. Alternate-history is not my favourite genre, but I am glad this buddy read made me pick this book. I really enjoyed it! First chapter in and I am hooked already!

The main character is definitely by normal definition not sane, what kind of young woman would want to go to a place where she will likely be robbed, then raped and killed? And if she didn't then she might die of disease or burned at the stake instead. Definitely the kind like Dian Fossey or Jane Goodall apparently.

message 20: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3833 comments Anny wrote: "I am starting early since I have finished my other books :)

At first the summary didn't really interest me. Alternate-history is not my favourite genre, but I am glad this buddy read made me pick ..."

How is the read going? Are you still enjoying it? I'm running behind schedule so I won't be getting to this for two or three days.

message 21: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Starting this today

message 22: by Anny (new)

Anny | 241 comments Tammie wrote: "Anny wrote: "I am starting early since I have finished my other books :)

At first the summary didn't really interest me. Alternate-history is not my favourite genre, but I am glad this buddy read ..."

I'm almost done since I can't stop reading it. It's just so good! The tension is constantly palpable throughout the book. It's almost the end and I still can't tell what will become of our poor Kivrin, so worried.

message 23: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Me too. I’m almost done (Ch 32). The story is just so captivating, despite one annoying thing ((view spoiler)). The mysteries surrounding Kivrin are so interesting, which kept me turning page after page. (view spoiler)

message 24: by Tammie (last edited Apr 21, 2019 09:07AM) (new)

Tammie | 3833 comments I'm finally starting this! I hope I like it as much as the rest of you.

message 25: by Anny (last edited Apr 21, 2019 08:40PM) (new)

Anny | 241 comments Barry wrote: "Me too. I’m almost done (Ch 32). The story is just so captivating, despite one annoying thing ([spoilers removed]). The mysteries surrounding Kivrin are so interesting, which kept me turning page a..."

The technology is indeed weird. (view spoiler)

The author did a great job keeping the tension throughout the book. I can say that until the very end the reader is kept on tenterhook.

@Tammie I hope you like it as well! Do tell what you think of the first few chapters. In my case, I got hooked straight away from chapter 1 and can't put it down.

message 26: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3833 comments Im in chapter 2 and so far I'm finding it a little slow, but not bad. I do think Kivrin is a little crazy for wanting to go back to that time period.

message 27: by Anny (new)

Anny | 241 comments Tammie wrote: "Im in chapter 2 and so far I'm finding it a little slow, but not bad. I do think Kivrin is a little crazy for wanting to go back to that time period."

I think Kivrin is more than a little crazy to want to go to a period where a doctor would suggest nose cauterization. Definitely not a squeamish girl.

message 28: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Btw, after reading this book I'm interested to learn more about (view spoiler). Anybody knows a good introductory book for that particular subject?

@ Anny : I was definitely annoyed by the countless pages spent describing (view spoiler)

One thing that still bothers me: (view spoiler)

The characters in this book were sneakily good, IMO. At first I didn't connect with any of them. But by the end, there were quite a few who were endearing, both positively and negatively. The antagonists were especially memorable with how much I disliked them while reading.

message 29: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3833 comments I'm in Chapter 5 now and I'm not sure how I feel about the book yet. It is still very slow for me. I also think there is a lot of repetitive dialog that is rather annoying. Too much time is being spent in present day instead of with Kivrin.

message 30: by Anny (new)

Anny | 241 comments Barry wrote: "Btw, after reading this book I'm interested to learn more about [spoilers removed]. Anybody knows a good introductory book for that particular subject?

@ Anny : I was definitely annoyed by the cou..."

Badri (view spoiler)

@Tammie if it's too annoying, you can just skip the present day and read Kivrin's chapters instead, not gonna lose much. It's from the end of book 1 when the tension start rising in both present and past.

message 31: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Just a heads up that book 2 is completely different in tone. It’s much lighter.

message 32: by Anny (new)

Anny | 241 comments Bill wrote: "Just a heads up that book 2 is completely different in tone. It’s much lighter."

Yeah, I read the summary and totally lost interest. Light romance and comedy. Totally not my cup of tea, I don't think I will read it. Not sure if book 3 and 4 are more similar to book 1?

message 33: by Tammie (last edited Apr 25, 2019 11:25AM) (new)

Tammie | 3833 comments I'm about halfway through and I'm still struggling with it. It's just really slow and boring to me, although the parts with Kivrin are significantly better than the other parts. It's obviously just not for me. I do wonder how this won the Hugo and Nebulla awards. There is next to no science fiction in this book. In fact I don't think I would classify it as sci-fi, but historical fiction with a slight sci-fi element to it, or maybe just historical fiction with a time travel fantasy element to it. Anyway, sorry to be such a downer as I know everyone else really likes this book, but as I said, it's obviously just not for me. I do want to try and finish it though.

message 34: by Tammie (last edited Apr 25, 2019 11:21AM) (new)

Tammie | 3833 comments Barry wrote: "Me too. I’m almost done (Ch 32). The story is just so captivating, despite one annoying thing ([spoilers removed]). The mysteries surrounding Kivrin are so interesting, which kept me turning page a..."

Regarding the tech. (view spoiler)

message 35: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3833 comments Bill wrote: "Just a heads up that book 2 is completely different in tone. It’s much lighter."

I'm not really liking this one so I doubt I will read beyond it.

message 36: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Anny wrote: "Bill wrote: "Just a heads up that book 2 is completely different in tone. It’s much lighter."

Yeah, I read the summary and totally lost interest. Light romance and comedy. Totally not my cup of te..."

Yeah it’s kind of a comedy of errors.

Books 3 and 4 are one story divided into two books. They are closer to book 1 in tone but not quite as dark.

message 37: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Tammie wrote: "I'm about halfway through and I'm still struggling with it. It's just really slow and boring to me, although the parts with Kivrin are significantly better than the other parts. It's obviously just..."

I don’t know how I would classify these books either. They are definitely very light on sf elements.

message 38: by Tammie (last edited Apr 25, 2019 03:28PM) (new)

Tammie | 3833 comments Chapter 19 (view spoiler)

message 39: by Anny (new)

Anny | 241 comments Tammie wrote: "Chapter 19 [spoilers removed]"

Sadly in middle ages I think Rosamund already(view spoiler)

message 40: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3833 comments I forgot to post my final thoughts on this, but here's a link to my review. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Doomsday Book (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Connie Willis (other topics)