World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Image rights of the next generation.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lena (new)

Lena | 604 comments Just read this:
Apple Martin tells off mother Gwyneth Paltrow for sharing photo without consent
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019...

In this case there was a family agreement breached but it points out that kids that grew up with Facebook parents had their ultrasounds splashed across the web. All the funny tantrum photos, the chocolate in their faces, their mistakes, the ridiculous little outfits (they did not choose) snapped and shared to millions of strangers. It gives me hives to think about my childhood photos, safe in an album in the closet, out there.

I don’t think we’re long for the first legal battle.

message 2: by Nik (last edited Mar 30, 2019 03:29AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 14967 comments Well, yeah there are all kind of problems and maybe an embarrassment on both sides. How about this for example, a football (soccer) star imploring his mom (mum - how the hell is even that different between English and Americanese?! -:)) to stop posting HER pics on instagram: https://www.sickchirpse.com/nicolo-za...
Someone will surely take it further to the court. On the other hand the problem may be a little exaggerated and should be normally solved within the family by an agreement.
Here when enrolling kids to school or kindergartens one of the forms one needs to fill out is whether parents agree that their kid's photos will be posted or shared within the groups or not. Both options are fine.

message 3: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan This concept will get tested in the courts.

(Shrug shoulders)

This particular instance strikes me as the interpersonal dynamics of a mother and her teen-age daughter shifting boundaries of power and control as the daughter grows up, spilling out into the public sphere because the mother is a public figure.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 10762 comments Nik wrote: "Well, yeah there are all kind of problems and maybe an embarrassment on both sides. How about this for example, a football (soccer) star imploring his mom (mum - how the hell is even that different..."

Nik, the Americans want to demonstrate their independence! Out with the mums!