Reading the Chunksters discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Chunksters Planning > Nominations for the next Spring Contemp read

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack (anubis_lab) | 6 comments Beloved by Toni Morrison and The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano are both on my reading list. I would love to read them with a group.

I just read Bolano's 2666 and it might be my favorite book of the 2000s (that I have read). I would love to join discussions on that one--it's definitely a "chunkster".

message 2: by Brian (last edited Apr 01, 2019 07:17AM) (new)

Brian Reynolds | 52 comments I wanted to nominate Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry but I saw that it was previously read by the Chunkster Group in 2012. While I will be reading it for another group, I really enjoy how this group organizes its discussion threads into sections - it encourages full spoiler-free discussion.

I doubt that Beloved is a true Chunkster, but it sure felt long when I read it.

message 3: by Tracey (last edited Apr 02, 2019 05:02AM) (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) I would like to nominate Soul Mountain by Nobel prize winner Gao Xingjian

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1319 comments Jack - Bolano’s 2666 was certainly an impressive novel. I read it maybe 2 years ago? It looks like Savage Detectives is set up in a somewhat similar fashion, with different POV and jumps in time while getting glimpses of the characters of interest. I would love to give that book a shot one day, but I don’t think this spring is going to work for me. If it doesn’t get voted in this round, definitely keep it in mind for next time!

I’m not going to nominate this time as spring is always a busy time for me, so I’ll be watching from the sidelines this round.

message 5: by Tammy Dayton (new)

Tammy Dayton | 81 comments I second The Bronze Horseman.

message 7: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Bradshaw (llawryf) | 34 comments I second Speaks the Nightbird.

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 0 comments I second A Fine Balance

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I’d like to second The Savage Detectives, please.

message 10: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 12 comments If I'm not too new to the group to second a book, I'll go with 2666.

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) Just a quick note on Speaks the Nightbird. Whilst it was a good read there are quite a few traumatic torture scenes, one, in particular, haunts me to this day and I wish the author had not included it.

message 12: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) I didn't know you could nominate more than one book so here is my second nomination. The Big Green Tent by Lyudmila Ulitskaya.

I will third The Bronze Horseman

message 13: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) Lorna wrote: "Tracey wrote: "Just a quick note on Speaks the Nightbird. Whilst it was a good read there are quite a few traumatic torture scenes, one, in particular, haunts me to this day and I wi..."

I have read these books up to date but didn't find them as haunting as what was done to one man in Speaks the Nightbird. Just me maybe but it has stuck in my head. Otherwise, the book was really well done. You are right that others might not be so affected. If it wins I would be interested in what others think.

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1319 comments Lorna wrote: "I understand completely, I'm moving in a month so I'm getting ready. You'll be missed, We had so much fun last fall!"

Thanks, Lorna! I agree, we had a great time with our last book, and I hope we can read together again soon. Good luck with your move! :)

message 15: by Nike (new)

Nike | 24 comments Sorry, but I can not find any link to the poll. Will someone please guide me and I will be very grateful.

message 16: by Karen Michele (last edited May 09, 2019 04:58PM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 12 comments Oh, I just found the poll. It's poll #15. Go to polls from the top right menu or I'll post the link in a minute to make it easier.

I think this will work:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 17: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) I read A Fine Balance last year and it’s a great book. Good choice. I am currently working my way through The Far Pavilions.

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1319 comments A Fine Balance has been on my radar for a few years, and I thought I had a copy at home but I couldn't find it on my bookshelf. Maybe I missed it. Still, I'm not voting in this round just because I'm not sure I can commit at the moment. I'm watching the polls, though.

I just finished a couple of brain candy books - the second Outlander book, Dragonfly in Amber, in audio, and Midnight Movie in print, which was a total B movie horror film in book form, written by the guy who made Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I'm starting a couple of Terry Pratchetts now, one in print and one in audio - Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch and The Fifth Elephant.

message 19: by Hugh (last edited May 15, 2019 01:07AM) (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 110 comments Mod
Lorna wrote: "Sorry so late on the poll. I have never done one before. I think we should get a solid 4 votes in order to read. Let me know if you have any comments. :)"

Lorna, The reason the poll appears at the bottom of the list is that to make it appear on top, in Create Poll, you need to tick the checkbox next to
Feature this poll on the group homepage

You can change this setting by editing the poll, but only moderators can edit polls so I can't do it for you myself.

message 20: by Brian (new)

Brian Reynolds | 52 comments Tracey wrote: "I read A Fine Balance last year and it’s a great book. Good choice. I am currently working my way through The Far Pavilions."

Quit changing avatars on me. There are a few Traceys on Goodreads and I didn't recognize that this was THE Tracey. Of course If I had read your avatar I'd have known. Also, of course you've read A Fine Balance - the author's from Oh Canada!

message 21: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) Lol. When I change avatar it usually means I am changing my reading focus for that season. I have nearly completed my 19th and 20th century’s challenges and have started to work on my 12 Canadian books in 12 months.

message 22: by Brian (last edited May 15, 2019 10:45PM) (new)

Brian Reynolds | 52 comments Tracey, if you want a lighter one for a month try Tempest-Tost by Robertson Davies.

message 23: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) Funny, I have that on my list and I am waiting for it to be available at my library. Great minds think alike.

message 24: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Newton | 52 comments Tracey wrote: "I read A Fine Balance last year and it’s a great book. Good choice. I am currently working my way through The Far Pavilions."

The Far Pavilions is one of my all-time favorite books! I hope you're enjoying it.

message 25: by Brian (last edited May 17, 2019 02:26PM) (new)

Brian Reynolds | 52 comments Is there yet a schedule or at least an estimated range for the A Fine Balance read?
I have a used copy of it bought 10 years ago so I'd like to join in the read if I can fit it in with my already scheduled reads.
I ask because It is designated as a 'spring' read but spring is ending in a month so it needs to be a fairly quick read or it might be more of a "Summer'' Contemp read, which I don't mind at all.

message 26: by Ami (last edited May 18, 2019 11:38AM) (new)

Ami Brian wrote: "Is there yet a schedule or at least an estimated range for the A Fine Balance read?
I have a used copy of it bought 10 years ago so I'd like to join in the read if I can fit it in with my already ..."

There isn’t, and I apologize for that. Normally there’s some sort of announcement after the poll closes. I have dm’d Lorna twice and I too have not heard anything. I’m not sure what’s going on, unfortunately? She probably just hasn’t gotten around to either. Let’s give her a moment. Yes? Im sure we’ll have direction soon enough ;)

I would suggest for anybody wanting to discuss "A Fine Balance," to go ahead and get your book.

And, yes, a Summer read definitely is more likely to be the case. LoL!

message 27: by Brian (new)

Brian Reynolds | 52 comments Thanks, Ami. I shouldn't have brought the subject up since out of sight means out of mind and the further the read pushes into the summer the better it is for my schedule. Apparently, though, my anal desire for planning my reads overcomes my common sense.

message 28: by Ami (new)

Ami Brian wrote: "Thanks, Ami. I shouldn't have brought the subject up since out of sight means out of mind and the further the read pushes into the summer the better it is for my schedule. Apparently, though, my an..."

No worries at all. It’s understandable. :)

message 29: by Ami (last edited May 18, 2019 11:46AM) (new)

Ami We're about to hit the summer months, kids are out of school, vacations have been planned, we've committed ourselves to other reading, and Memorial Day Weekend is quickly approaching! Yikes, I didn't even realize! Busy, Busy! LOL!

To keep things moving along, for those of you who voted for "A Fine Balance," when were you wanting to kick off the discussion, tentatively?

message 30: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 0 comments Well I'm excited to be reading this. I have a copy already, so would be ready to start in June - how does this fit with everyone else's plans?

(I originally posted the above yesterday but somehow managed to delete it - my apologies!)

message 31: by Tammy Dayton (new)

Tammy Dayton | 81 comments I am fine with starting in June. I will purchase my copy this weekend.

message 32: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Newton | 52 comments June works for me! I will be off of work for the summer.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.