The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Favorite Authors/Books/Series > The Calling - Inger Ash Wolfe

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna, Co-Moderator (last edited Aug 23, 2009 06:36AM) (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Has anyone read this book? The Calling by Inger Ash Wolfe is a real page turner. It is a very dark story set in the upper regions of Ontario, Canada. The small town police force, led by DI Hazel Micallef, chases a seriously warped serial killer across Ontario and eventually the rest of Canada.

There is also a mystery as to the identity of the author, Inger Ash Wolfe, who is thought to be a famous literary writer.

Very good book but not for the squemish. It is supposed to be the first in a new series.

The Calling

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I read it recently and really liked Hazel as a character. I did find some of the plot highly unbelievable (like the fact that even when it was realised there was a serial killer on the loose the Canadian authorities left it up to this small rural force to track him down) but I could forgive that as I liked the characters so much.

message 3: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Yes, I couldn't imagine the RCMP not wanting to get in on the action or at least Hazel's superiors in Ontario. I guess we are supposed to believe that either no one believed there really was a serial killer or that Hazel's superiors wanted her to fail so they could close her post and save money.

The characters were very interesting and I do hope this will become a series but I wonder how the author will top this one - crime wise.

message 4: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments I picked this book up because the jacket description sounded interesting and it turned out to be a great read. I am looking forward to reading the second in the series, "The Taken".

message 5: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 36358 comments I was really enjoying this book although I haven't picked it up in the last couple of weeks. Too busy trying to read other things, I guess. I'll probably finish it up shortly.

message 6: by Voula (new)

Voula | 14 comments I stumbled across The Calling in the bookstore and when I read the review blurbs on the back cover I was hooked. I'm always intrigued when some of my favorite authors award high praise to a debut author/novel. This ended up being one of my absolute favorites, despite the fact that I first thought I wouldn't even be interested given the setting and the protagonist, etc. Wolfe draws you in to the characters so deftly, though, and Hazel quickly becomes someone that you're rooting for, no matter how seemingly implausible. I have to say that it is Hazel's mother that steals the show (er, book). Given how dark and twisted the storyline is, her acerbic wit and amusing back and forth with Hazel add just the right amount of levity and humor to an otherwise super creepy story. Loved loved loved The Calling. Of course I read The Taken as soon as it came out. Very very good read, but I would not give it as high a mark as The Calling (even though I gave both five stars). I think my own anticipation at the second book by Wolfe being a masterpiece like the first may have set my expectations too high. But don't get me wrong - I still HIGHLY recommend The Taken as well. Oh, and I too would love to know just who Wolfe really is, because if I haven't read any of their books I would go pick them all up tomorrow were I to know their identity! I have read, though, that Wolfe is actually Maragaret Atwood. But I'm not so sure about that. Whoever Wolfe is, he/she sure knows how to write.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 444 comments I just finished this, having picked it up only because it was being talked about on this board. I haven't heard anyone else anywhere talking about this book or author.
I was on the fence after a few chapters. It reminded me too much of the Karin Slaughter series -- small town force, explicit and gory killings -- which I had stopped reading after the first. But slowly I was drawn in, first by Hazel's personality, position on the force, and compelling background story. Then other equally interesting characters were introduced -- Wingate, a new recruit, and other colleagues on the force and in the town.
The serial killer aspect seemed to spin into the stratosphere pretty quickly, but elements revealed about the victims and how they came to the killer's attention kept me intrigued.
It was a bit intense to read the next in the series right away, plus I have -- count 'em -- 23 books out from the library, but I will get to The Taken in the not too distant future.

message 8: by Voula (new)

Voula | 14 comments I'm glad you liked The Calling. Like you, I had not hear about this book anywhere, but just happened to pick it up and read the jacket in a bookstore one day. And were it not for the praise heaped on it by some of my favorite authors, I probably would not have bought it based just on the story. I agree that it is the uniqueness of Hazel's character (and unique does not always mean interesting) as you get to know her while reading through the book, in addition to the rest of the interesting and unique-in-their-own-right cast of characters, coupled with the super creepy storyline, that truly made the book. I have to say, though, that I've read all of Karin Slaughter's books and, aside from the two small commonalities that you listed, I would not compare her books to The Calling. Slaughter's books tend to be easy reads that contain simple (albeit interesting) characters, some of whom do some really bad things. To me, The Calling, and subsequently The Taken, are much more dark and psychological suspense-type novels. I really enjoy Slaughter's books and am not knocking them by any means. I love Wolfe's two novels as well, but for very different reasons.

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 444 comments Voula, thanks for your interesting comparison of the Slaughter books and the Wolfe books. It gives me something to think about. I was so traumatized by {Mild Spoilers, Danger, Danger!!} the crimes in the first Slaughter, and the victimization of a major character near the end, that I vowed not to return, even though many of the mystery-loving friends on this and other boards are hooked. Your description is making me curious about the second in the series.

Voula wrote: "I have to say, though, that I've read all of Karin Slaughter's books and, aside from the two small commonalities that you listed, I would not compare her books to The Calling. Slaughter's books tend to be easy reads that contain simple (albeit interesting) characters, some of whom do some really bad things. To me, The Calling, and subsequently The Taken, are much more dark and psychological suspense-type novels. ..."

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello all! I am new to Good Reads, but so far enjoy it very much.
I bought a bargain book the other day for $4, called "The Taken". It wasn't until I was a couple chapters in when I realized it was second in a series! But the book has me hooked, and my question is, do I really need to put it down, purchase the first one and read it first? Do they have much to do with each other, other than the characters being the same?? No spoilers please, just let me know if I should purchase and read the first book first. Thank you in advance :)

message 11: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 36358 comments You could probably read The Taken second.

I read it before The Calling. Matter of fact, I am still reading The Calling. So far, I think they are both good stories.

The first book sets things up - shows the relationships involved.

message 12: by Deb (new)

Deb | 2 comments Jan C wrote: "You could probably read The Taken second.

I read it before The Calling. Matter of fact, I am still reading The Calling. So far, I think they are both good stories.

The first book sets things up ..."

That deleted post above was from me ;) I couldn't figure out how to unlink my Facebook account so I just cancelled my account and started a new one.
As long as the plot doesn't carry over from the first book to the second, I think I can handle it. Thank you so much for your answer! The book is pretty good, looking forward to The Calling as well. :)

message 13: by Janebbooks (new)

Janebbooks | 30 comments Hello....Inger Ash Wolfe's books are on my radar. I'm enjoying your comments...
"Inger" is pen name for Michael Redhill, Toronto poet and playwright.
I hope to start with 2008 The Calling and read the next one...2009 The Taken.

Like the idea of a 60-something Detective Inspector Hazel Micallef in small town of Port Dundas, Ontario as a protag.

Any news on Hazel Micallef #3?
Jane

message 14: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 36358 comments I was looking to find out the reveal and found that the third book is due to come out 9/5 - A Door in the River.

message 15: by Deb (new)

Deb | 2 comments How exciting! Can't wait these two and start on the third :)

message 16: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments deleted user wrote: "Hello all! I am new to Good Reads, but so far enjoy it very much.
I bought a bargain book the other day for $4, called "The Taken". It wasn't until I was a couple chapters in when I realized it was..."

I read both and, while the first one would help set up the characters you see in the second one, I don't think it's necessary to read it before the second one.

Nice to see the third is on its way!

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Calling (other topics)
The Taken (other topics)
The Taken (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karin Slaughter (other topics)