Study Buddies discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > It's Contest Time Once Again! 3 Contests!

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alethea (last edited Aug 22, 2009 09:10AM) (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 481 comments Mod
Hi everyone.

I mean, Hi, everyone!!!

We're giving away 3 copies of Maria V. Snyder's Sea Glass (Glass, Book 2) in 3 separate contests! The winner of each contest will get 1 signed, personalized copy of the new book, straight from Maria.

General Rules:

Play fair! Play nice. Do unto others, etc. etc.

You can play in 1, 2, or all 3 contests, but each person may only win 1 out of the 3 contests. And If you've won a contest within the last year, you're welcome to "play" with us but cannot win. (Don't worry, the 1-year anniversary is coming up which means you can win again, soon!)

We are not obligating you to buy anything--we just want our group members to have fun interacting, reading, and competing with each other! Also we want to give out free stuff. (Isn't that enough of a reason?)

Contest 1: The Dead Thread Revival
Wake up those old threads! Discuss whatever you want in the Study Buddies forums. Start a new topic. Discuss a Monthly Reading Group book. Gush about how much you love Valek, Yelena, Opal, Maria, etc... Whatever you can think of! You get a point for every post between 8:01 am on 8/22 and 12:01 am on 8/29. The "poster with the most-er" wins (uh, did I just say that? ^_^ silly). Polls (voting and commenting) also count.

Tip: On the Discussion Boards, if you click the links that say "view all" you can see all of the posts for that topic instead of the most recent 5 only. So you can see what we were already talking about!

Oh, and... Yes, you may use magic. (Sorry, Ixians.)

Contest 2: The Study Buddy Member Drive
At the time of this writing, we were at 299 members! (Well, 298 if you don't count Maria.) But did you know that 3000+ GoodReads members have rated this book? (Mostly favorably, judging from the 4+ star rating so far.) Did you know that 1700+ people have it listed as to-read? Well, we'd like to encourage you to get some of those nice folks to join us here at Study Buddies.

Caveats: No bullying! Get people to join who are genuinely interested--who have read Maria's books and enjoyed them, rated them 3 stars and above, and/or have added the books to their shelves. Sure, you can tell them you're doing this a contest, but do tell them that they shouldn't join if they're really not going to participate. Check to see if they're already signed up (you can find this on most people's profiles) or if you view their review of Poison Study, you can see if I've already told them about it. You'll want to skip those people, probably.

The winner is the person who can bring in the most new members to Study Buddies between 8:01 am on 8/22 and 12:01 am on 8/29. Each new member must email me at "frootjoos at gmail dot com" with the phrase "studybuddiescontest2" and the GoodReads user# for the member who recruited them. For example, my user# is 1069643 (you can get it by clicking on your GR profile link). These new members must also remain subscribed to the group after the contest. (Seriously, we just want to bring in real fans--not random folks to will turn out to be haters later.)

Contest 3: At a Loss for Words? Use Images!
Ok, this one's for you creative types out there. Maria creates very strong visuals with her world-building in the Study and Glass books. She uses thousands of words to show us the places that Yelena and Opal inhabit. Can you return the favor with a picture?

Show Maria what you, the Reader, receive from her fantastic printed world. You may enter a photo/photo essay, a drawing or painting, a short film (not too long!), a fan site, a t-shirt, a costume, or whatever you'd like! You may include an explanation, but stick with a hundred words or less. Let your image speak for itself!

No plagiarism please, only your original work. We don't want Michelangelo, Annie Leibovitz, or Steven Spielberg--just You! Send submissions, or links to submissions posted online, to "frootjoos at gmail dot com" -- I'll be organizing everything for Maria to view. She gets to pick the winner!

- - -

I realize I may not have thought of everything, so feel free to ask me questions by Commenting below this post.

OK? Let's Play!

May the Best 3 Buddies win!

message 2: by Alethea (new)

Oh yeah, and if you're wondering if you can win if you are outside the U.S., Maria is usually willing to ship at least 1 book internationally.

But first you have to win. ^_^

message 3: by Reema (new)

Reema | 142 comments WOW you really know how to come up with fantastic ideas for contests. Thay sound brilliant and fun even if you don't win the book!

message 4: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 4 comments Was just wondering when the closing date for the 3rd contest is? Is it the same as the others,the 29th?

message 5: by Alethea (new)

Oh! Good question. The Closing Date for entries for Contest 3 is a week before our group anniversary. The anniversary is 9/18, when the winner will be announced, so the entries are due in to me no later than 9/11.

message 6: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 4 comments ok thank you so much! :) Guess I'll just have to re-read them to get good ideas! Haha! :)

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna (deety) For the third contest, where is the line drawn regarding original work? Obviously, just picking a nice photo off flickr and submitting it wouldn't qualify, but what about a Photoshop submission using various heavily-altered images? To my mind that would be almost like a collage, except done entirely on computer instead of with scissors and glue. But I don't want to spend too much time on something like that if we'd be expected to only use source images that we created ourselves.

message 8: by Alethea (new)

Hi Donna, to be safe, use your own stuff--don't use anything that anyone else can claim is theirs.

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna (deety) Ah, I won't be participating then. Photoshops and altered art are pretty much all I do creativity-wise, at least when it comes to something due in a couple of weeks.

message 10: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 141 comments I am working on my magic to erase the memory of those judging this contest. That way they won't remember that I won a contest this spring and thus I can win this one!!! :)

Good luck to all! I can't wait for Sea Glass! Lucky for me, I'm in good with The Commander so when I cast my spell over Sitia, it can go into Ixia and I won't get hurt. :)

message 11: by Alethea (new)

Wait, Lady... who? Who are you? Who am I? What contest? (oh no, magic too powerful... forgot Everything...)

*faints*

message 12: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 141 comments ROFL!!! See! My plan is working!! She's so disoriented she won't notice that I've alredy got the book and am reading it! Mwahahahahahahahahahahahaha

message 13: by Reema (new)

Reema | 142 comments I just discovered the members list on the right and it says i've made 99 comments so far, so well here is #100!

Alethea ~ surely i get points for contest 3? I am at home all day waiting to go back to school so have nothing to do but comment on here, although i kinda feel like i'm talking to myself sometimes as everyone else probably have lives!

I want to go back to school! (Wow never thought i would hear myself say that)

I know .... I know ....I can hear you say ....you have already won a contest :o(

Sorry for the rant

message 14: by Alethea (new)

There will be more contests, Reema! (patience, grasshopper... ^_^)

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 175 comments Wow! These look like fun contests (esp #3!) Sorry I haven't been as active lately :( School has really gotten the better of me... However, good luck to everyone!

message 16: by Alethea (new)

Hey! Is everyone away from the Internets, or something? Hardly anyone playing this time around...

I'll count any posts that happen until midnight (Pacific) tonight for the first contest, and if any of you guys recruited new members, I didn't get any emails from them! If that's correct we'll put the other prize out to the general GR for giveaway.

See you at midnight!

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (javallone23) | 11 comments The first time I read this I thought that the contest was already over...now it will probably be hard to win :-(

message 18: by Alethea (new)

LOL! Actually, you beat most of the players by a hair!

Winner #1 : Jennifer user# 2417583

Congratulations!

Oh, and recruiting a member put you over the top--BTW if anyone else recruited a member and they didn't message me as stated above, I think you're out of luck--we're past the extra day I gave you guys to notify me.

That means Prize #2 is being released to the general GR public for a giveaway...

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (javallone23) | 11 comments HaHa! YAY!! I'm so excited! Thanks!

message 20: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 141 comments YAY Jennifer!!!!!

That's so awesome!!

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 175 comments Congrats Jennifer! :D :D

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (javallone23) | 11 comments Thanks :-)

message 23: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments Congrats Jennifer, sorry I've been away life has gotten a little crazy lol. My kids started school and my school work is getting more demanding, I will try to get back more often

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.