The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Halloween task

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Can we use dead? or does it need to be deadly?

I would like to use Dead Until Dark for this task.

message 2: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather "Read A Novel That Has An Adjective In The Title That Relates To Halloween...I.E. Spooky, Creepy, Crawly, Scary etc."

Dead is itself an adjective, so I'd think it would be fine.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Yes, Cynthia has said 'dead' is fine! I'm using Definitely Dead for that task :)

message 4: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather My personal recommendation for anyone looking for one is Norman Partridge's Dark Harvest.

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 318 comments I saw lots of folks with Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich, too.

Although now I'm tempted to try the first Sookie Stackhouse mystery (Dead Until Dark) since "dead" is okay too!

message 6: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) thanks a book on my tbr already : ) LOL

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandag23) Would See No Evil work?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

How about White is for Witching A Novel? Witching can be both an adjective and a noun? If not then I will just read Plum Spooky, but this book has been on my to read shelf for a while and I would like to read it...

message 9: by Rora (new)

Rora Amanda wrote: "Would See No Evil work? "

I hope so, I was planning on reading An Evil Guest for this task. As far as I know, evil can be used as an adjective or a noun.

message 10: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments I had planned on using Wicked--As in Something Wicked This Way Comes (How had I never read this book?)

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie  (angelitabonita) | 75 comments Donna Jo wrote: "I had planned on using Wicked--As in Something Wicked This Way Comes (How had I never read this book?)"

I chose Wicked too but I'm reading A Little Bit Wicked by my one of my favorite actresses Kristin Chenoweth

message 12: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Angie wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "I had planned on using Wicked--As in Something Wicked This Way Comes (How had I never read this book?)"

I chose Wicked too but I'm reading A Little Bit Wicked by my one of my favorite actresses Kristin Chenoweth "

I love her!! I still CANNOT BELIEVE that Pushing Daisies got cancelled! I was SOOOO MAD!!! (Still am, really...) They should move the show over to USA. Characters Welcome... ;)

Jan (the Gryphon) (yogryphongmailcom) | 228 comments Amanda wrote: "Would See No Evil work? "

I'm also rooting for "evil" as acceptable. I want to use Web of Evil by J.A. Jance, mostly because I am reading it for my October "Masters of Mystery" discussion group.

message 14: by Kay (new)

Kay (neenamara) | 74 comments Would "13th" work as a spooky adjective?

message 16: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (weirdlibrarian) I was thinking about re-reading "Harry Potter and the DEATHLY Hallows" for this task -- think that'll work?

message 17: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Evil is definitely acceptable, 13th not so much, but deathly is fine.

message 18: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Melissa wrote: "I'm going to read Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West[image error] for this task."

I hope you enjoy it. I really loved the musical, but hated the book so much I couldn't finish it (and I am very compulsive about finishing any book I start.)

message 19: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (Babies, Books, and Beyond) (mamamunky) | 172 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I'm going to read Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West[image error] for this task."..."

I agree Donna Jo. I started reading that and I just didn't get what all the fuss was about. I haven't seen the musical because of it, but maybe I should check it out.

message 20: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Lindsey wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I'm going to read Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West[bookcover:Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West|37442..."

The musical has a totally different feel and focus. It's not as dark and gritty as the book. I've seen Wicked twice--and I've never seen The Wizard of Oz. (and I live in Kansas now!)

message 21: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreawestaway) | 40 comments Just double checking that it's cool to use either 'supernatural' or 'undead' for this challenge, both are adjectives and nouns. I'm not sure what I'm going to read yet, but I want to keep my options open.

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (macyboston) Donna Jo wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I'm going to read Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West[image error] for this task."..."

I'm hoping I like this book. It was once my mom's copy and she said she just couldn't get into it.

I was hoping to read it's sequel for task 5.1 if I end up liking Wicked.

message 23: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Andrea wrote: "Just double checking that it's cool to use either 'supernatural' or 'undead' for this challenge, both are adjectives and nouns. I'm not sure what I'm going to read yet, but I want to keep my option..."Yes both are good

Oh and I listened to the DAB (Digital Audiobook) version of Wicked and absolutely hated it. Of course I'm not a big fan of OZ stuff or audiobooks so I thought that was why but maybe it's just that it isn't such a great book.

message 24: by El (new)

El I think my problem with Wicked is the opposite of Cynthia's... I am a fan of Oz stuff, so when I tried to read Wicked I almost was offended at how poorly done it was. I never did make it through. I keep saying, "Someday..."

message 25: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 65 comments Will Bewitching work as an adjective for this task?

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca  (rebeccama) Would the book Ghosthunters And The Totally Moldy Baroness! work for this task? I wasn't sure if "Moldy" would be Halloween enough for an adjective

message 27: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments April wrote: "Will Bewitching work as an adjective for this task?"

i had a similar question.....i'm wondering if i could use the word "bewitched?"

message 28: by Sara ♥ (last edited Oct 03, 2009 10:47PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I would think bewitched would be okay... Moldy? Wow. No idea on that one!