Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Do you think Bree and Roger will ever...

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Osborn | 17 comments Do you think Bree and Roger will ever go back to the past again? (Tried to keep my subject line spoiler-free.)

message 2: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) | 116 comments Hi Amy,
I hope they do go back to the past again & i think it would be a great if somehow jamie could go forward into the future. It would be interisting to see how he reacted to everything, just a thought.

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments Diana said Jamie will not go into the future. Definitely not. I think Jamie would feel very useless in the future. I can't see him as a nine-to-five kinda guy. He could farm, or raise horses. But that old Highlander sense of justice just might get him into a heck of a lot of trouble.

I remember the dream that Bree had while she was still in the past of driving through those very mountains where Fraser's Ridge was located. Bree's dreams usually come true. If I were her, I'd be curious about the place in her time. But she was alone in the dream...

What is it? One month to go before release day?

--
Sent on a phone using T9space.com

message 4: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 259 comments I think that it is possible that Roger and Bree will return to the past with the kids. They might need to return to be able to save Claire and Jamie or something. But I don't know that it will be in Echo. It might be in a later book. I think that she is planning at least one more. Anyone else confirm that?

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 14 comments I'm not sure that they will return to the past. Isn't it how they found the letters as to what happened to Claire and Jamie anyway? As Claire herself said, Bree and Roger weren't ever truly happy in the past, that they were children of the modern day too much. The experience definitely changed them, but I think that Bree and Roger as the modern day stewards of Lallybroch is quite appropriate.

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments Yes, there is supposed to be one more book after 'Echo'. Taking them into the 1800's. :(

--

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy Osborn | 17 comments Kathy, I think you're right, they won't go back in this book, at least. I always think Bree would want to write BACK to Claire and Jamie, though, and I came up with an idea...she could write letters, pack them in a package, address it to them in care of Jenny, put a teeny gem inside and then toss it through the opening in the stones on Beltaine! :)

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 259 comments Smart idea Amy. I guess we'll have to wait and see if your right. Hummmmmmmm!

message 9: by Shay (new)

Shay | 17 comments I hope that they don't bring Jamie into the future! I would hate to see him be in a situation that he was not in control of, and I think he'd end up a bit of a freakshow and would lose dignity. He is such a strong man and a protector, that in the 20th century he would lose his purpose.

message 10: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 259 comments It has never come up in any of the discussion that I have read that Jamie will go to the future. I think Diana has said that he wouldn't. I agree that he would be emasculated in another time period. The sixty's especially, he would not agree with free sex, though he would be intrigued by technology. When Claire tells him about different divices or warfare instruments he is fasinated.

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary Campbell (lifeispoetry) | 17 comments Renee wrote: "Diana said Jamie will not go into the future. Definitely not. I think Jamie would feel very useless in the future. I can't see him as a nine-to-five kinda guy. He could farm, or raise horses. But t..."

But what about that strange appearance in the beginning of OUTLANDER? Before Claire goes through the stones, and her husband is coming back from a meeting with the Rev., or something, and he sees a tall man in a kilt looking at Claire's window? I have been waiting through thousands of pages for that to be explained....

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 235 comments I know me too. But I've heard from a few hear that she (DG) will explain that at the end of the series and he is a ghost so I don't think that counts as him coming to the future.

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments You know that he doesn't have to be a ghost to have been there. Jamie dreams the future, but why do we assume that Jamie dreams the 200 years ahead timeline limit? That was still the future when he was looking at Claire. He may yet dream it.

Anyway, I really hope it isn't Jamie's 'ghost'. I don't want to think of Jamie roaming around in the future looking for Claire. I want him to rest in peace.

--

message 14: by Shay (new)

Shay | 17 comments Well, I'm confused! I thought Jamies 'ghost' was explained in ABoSaA, when Jamie tells claire that he dreamed of her in her own time, and she was sitting at a table and there was electric light?

message 15: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments No, it's different. When this incident occurs Claire is sitting, brushing her hair and cursing(Frank said he heard her). Jamie said he saw her at a desk writing. Two different incidents.

--

message 16: by Shay (new)

Shay | 17 comments You're right! I should really pay attention to what's actually written, instead of making it up to suit me!!

message 17: by trish (new)

trish warren (trishwarren) | 35 comments Renee wrote: "You know that he doesn't have to be a ghost to have been there. Jamie dreams the future, but why do we assume that Jamie dreams the 200 years ahead timeline limit? That was still the future when he..."

DG has said it is Jamie's ghost numerous times on the compuserve forum.
It couldn't be Jamie's dream as Frank saw the ghost and talked about it with Claire.

message 18: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments Where has she specifically said that it is indeed a 'ghost'? And, if so, why wasn't he seen again? Claire did go back to the future.

I would really hate it if she made Jamie some stupid ghost strolling around in modern times. That's so corny. Let Jamie rest for pete's sakes. I like the idea of people being able to see him on his dream walks much better.

--

message 19: by trish (new)

trish warren (trishwarren) | 35 comments Renee wrote: "Where has she specifically said that it is indeed a 'ghost'? And, if so, why wasn't he seen again? Claire did go back to the future.

I would really hate it if she made Jamie some stupid ghost s..."

Renee, you can do a search over at the compuserv eforum and find many discusions on the ghost...but here is Diana's own post on the topic

Dear Robin--

What? Why would I need to confirm it? Frank comes in and _tells_ Claire (right in front of y'all ) about the Highlander he saw.

If you just want me to say "Yesyesyes, the ghost is Jamie, who the heck else would it be?"....I've been saying _that_ for years and years now.
--Diana
www.dianagabaldon.com

(sorry I don't know how to link to just one post in this forum or I would have just done that instead of copy it)

message 20: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments That's okay. See, now that I hate. If it's flat out Jamie's ghost why do we have to wait till the last book to have it explained? Is Jamie's grave under that hotel they were staying in? Why wasn't he seen again?

Don't tell me Gem can see Jamie's ghost and speak to it. Oh, poo. That's too simplistic and overdone, DG! Jamie's dreams are really what his ghost sees? Is that it? So, why does Brianna dream the future, and a future in which she's very much alive? Like, Stephen Bonnett and the water?

Have any of you read 'The Shadowy Horses' by Susannah Kearsley? Man in kilt walking about at night.

--

message 21: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments And I mean 'poo' that it's his ghost in the sense that I wanted a more mysterious reason. Like Jamie can dream the future AND be seen while he's dreaming it. Way cool.

--

message 22: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Hanna-Tarantino (ctara) | 309 comments Renee wrote: "And I mean 'poo' that it's his ghost in the sense that I wanted a more mysterious reason. Like Jamie can dream the future AND be seen while he's dreaming it. Way cool.

--
Sent on a phone using ..."

Jamie's ghost has been attributed to the TT theory and the the Mobius(sp?) cycle. I've been following a discussion and explanation regarding this subject on a yahoo group. It's very confusing and gives me a headache trying to understand it. But DG has stated there is method to her madness regarding this.

message 23: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments Aw, I hate those time travelling discussions. Loops, warps in time, holes in time, time lines, overlapping lines... they are headache inducing.

Doesn't matter because she's said he's a ghost. Ghost=dead person walking around who can't rest. (Or so they say in fiction.) I'm just hoping the method and the madness are very imaginative and Jamie isn't some clunking ghost walking about mooning for Claire, or mooning Frank! ;)

--

message 24: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Hanna-Tarantino (ctara) | 309 comments I with you! I gave up trying to understand the TT 3rd law of thermodynamics thing. It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out...but how long will we have to wait after Echo????

message 25: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments I hope the last book comes out before I die. ;) Well, you never know, do you? On the other hand it would be the LAST book. And I hate to think of that as well.

--

message 26: by ChristinaRae (new)

ChristinaRae | 295 comments I think Jaime will die before Claire, so he'll be looking for Claire once he has passed; he'll have to wait till after the future (where, or when? she has to be born and grow up, and later return to) for her to join him in Outlander Heaven, poor guy.

message 27: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 235 comments I just hope we can read more and more and more before claire or Jamie die.

I would even love to read about dreams or thoughts they had about each other during the time they spent apart.
Those 20 years just seem like a loss to the readers think of how many books DG could have written.

Also I would like Claire to open up to Jamie about her marriage to Frank. She has never really opened up to him. At one point he said he would like to know and she said another time but hasn't yet.

message 28: by ChristinaRae (new)

ChristinaRae | 295 comments Kelly wrote: "I just hope we can read more and more and more before claire or Jamie die.

I would even love to read about dreams or thoughts they had about each other during the time they spent apart.
Tho..."

Actually, I think those years would have been pretty boring, especially from Claire's side of things. An overwhelmed, depressed Mom decides to go back to school and get herself a career to fulfill the void left by lost love and a rocky marriage? That's a little too close to home for me! I'd rather go far, far away . . . in fiction, of course.

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Hanna-Tarantino (ctara) | 309 comments ChristinaRae wrote: "Kelly wrote: "I just hope we can read more and more and more before claire or Jamie die.

I would even love to read about dreams or thoughts they had about each other during the time they spen..."

I could not agree with you more!

message 30: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 259 comments Maybe I'm not with it, but I have really never looked at these books as Time travel. I read them for the story and romance. All of the speculation about the time warp etc. is just not interesting to me. I like the aspect of Claire and bree and roger coming from the future. I have thought many times what someone from the past would do with our technology, like riding in a car.

The ghost thing is interesting, and I'm sure DG will put a twist to it somehow. Probably not some timewarp theory.

message 31: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments Well, a timewarp theory is just more pleasing to me than Jamie's ghost wandering about being very sad and mooning over future Claire. I want Jamie to live to an old age with Claire, surrounded by family and then rest in peace in his beloved Scotland beside Claire. Good Lord he's earned it!

--

message 32: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Garcia | 63 comments Amy wrote: "Kathy, I think you're right, they won't go back in this book, at least. I always think Bree would want to write BACK to Claire and Jamie, though, and I came up with an idea...she could write lette..."

Would that really be possible? Because it seems that the stones only work for people, it's attracted to humans, not inadimate objects.

message 33: by ChristinaRae (new)

ChristinaRae | 295 comments Alicia wrote: "Amy wrote: "Kathy, I think you're right, they won't go back in this book, at least. I always think Bree would want to write BACK to Claire and Jamie, though, and I came up with an idea...she could..."

I wonder if Jem won't go back at some point. Can't you see a young headstrong (Fraser-Mackenzie) boy wanting to run away to the 18th century?

message 34: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Garcia | 63 comments I have also gone down that particular line of thinking. Perhaps Jem will go back when he gets older. However, if he grows up in the 20th century, he might not be as equipped for the 18th century. He may even forget a lot of what happened to him there, forget where he was born and where he came from.

message 35: by ChristinaRae (last edited Sep 21, 2009 12:56PM) (new)

ChristinaRae | 295 comments Alicia wrote: "I have also gone down that particular line of thinking. Perhaps Jem will go back when he gets older. However, if he grows up in the 20th century, he might not be as equipped for the 18th century. H..."

No, but I bet his Grand-da would fix him up!

message 36: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Garcia | 63 comments ChristinaRae wrote: "Alicia wrote: "I have also gone down that particular line of thinking. Perhaps Jem will go back when he gets older. However, if he grows up in the 20th century, he might not be as equipped for the ..."

That's a good point. Jaime would help him.