Flights of Fantasy discussion

Challenges > 2019 Something for Everyone Challenge

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (last edited Feb 05, 2019 06:27AM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5206 comments What is it:
The 2019 Something for Everyone Challenge is just that: a challenge that has a little of something for everyone, no matter your reading habits. This challenge is very, very customizable - making it the perfect challenge for you. ;-)

The Rules:
The entire list has 40 categories. Players can remove up to 20 items and can re-use up to 5 books. If you're interested in making the challenge a little more difficult, only use 1 unique book per category.

Create your thread in the Challenges folder. Once you have removed your categories, post your category list and get started.

Keep a list of the categories you remove! Players can swap out up to 4 of the categories they previously removed but cannot create their own categories.

Any book read in 2019 counts.

The list:
A book based on a fairy tale
A National Book Award winner
A YA bestseller
A book you haven't read since high school
A book set in your home state
A book translated to English
A romance set in the future
A book set in Europe
A book that's under 150 pages
A New York Times bestseller
A book that's becoming a movie this year
A book recommended by someone you just met
A self-improvement book
A book you can finish in a day
A book written by a celebrity
A political memoir
A book at least 100 years older than you
A book that's more than 600 pages
A book from Oprah's Book Club
A science-fiction novel
A book recommended by a family member
A graphic novel
A book that is published in 2018 or 2019
A book with a protagonist who has your occupation
A book that takes place during Summer
A book and its prequel
A murder mystery
A book written by a comedian
A dystopian novel
A book with a blue cover
A book of poetry
The first book you see in a bookstore
A classic from the 20th century
A book from the library
An autobiography
A book about a road trip
A book about a culture you're unfamiliar with
A satirical book
A book that takes place on an island
A book that's guaranteed to bring you joy

message 2: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2010 comments Oh! I remember this!! :)

I won't be participating this year, but I will happily cheer on all who do!

I wish all many GoodReads in 2019!

message 3: by James (new)

James Adams (jimmydont) | 135 comments I'm in for 20, to begin with. May get an influx of ambition later.

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5206 comments I haven't narrowed down my categories yet. I'm still pondering, lol.

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5206 comments Nyssa wrote: "Oh! I remember this!! :)

I won't be participating this year, but I will happily cheer on all who do!

I wish all many GoodReads in 2019!"

I bet that you'll have at least 15 of them finished by year end. ;)

message 6: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2010 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "I bet that you'll have at least 15 of them finished by year-end. ;) ."

Lol... Stop tempting me! I'm trying to keep things simple this year, and yet I've added a challenge (MASH) and upped my reading goal already.

message 7: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2735 comments I'm sticking with the full list and just going to read what I feel like from it.

message 8: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2735 comments I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around what reusing a book means... does that mean that you can use one book for two categories? Up to 5 times?

message 9: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2388 comments Becky wrote: "I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around what reusing a book means... does that mean that you can use one book for two categories? Up to 5 times?"

I was coming to ask the same question :)

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5206 comments Becky wrote: "I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around what reusing a book means... does that mean that you can use one book for two categories? Up to 5 times?"

Yup. Cause there are 40 categories - but if you want to make it harder, you can not reuse.

In fact, I'll add that above.

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5206 comments Becky wrote: "I'm sticking with the full list and just going to read what I feel like from it."

WOOOT!

message 12: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2388 comments Ironically I'm having a tough time fitting our January BotM into this challenge.

Tell me, is this thing blue? I think it's more green, but has a hint of blue.

message 13: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2388 comments It looks even more green when I put the big version up....hmm

message 14: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2787 comments I'd say it looks more blue, to me...

message 15: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5206 comments I'd say blue-green.

message 16: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2787 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "I'd say blue-green."

Key word being blue...

message 17: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2735 comments Chris wrote: "Ironically I'm having a tough time fitting our January BotM into this challenge.

Tell me, is this thing blue? I think it's more green, but has a hint of blue.

"

It's teal to me, but definitely more on the green side than the blue.

Why not use this one: A book recommended by someone you just met

Seems more appropriate since that's what happened. :P

message 18: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2010 comments It looks equally Blue-Green to me, but I agree with Becky’s suggestion for its category.

message 19: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5206 comments i agree

message 20: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2735 comments So, I'm not doing any re-reads this year, so "A book you haven't read since high school" is going to just be a book that I should have read in HS but didn't. :D

message 21: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5206 comments Becky wrote: "So, I'm not doing any re-reads this year, so "A book you haven't read since high school" is going to just be a book that I should have read in HS but didn't. :D"

Look at you! No re-reads?? I couldn't survive without re-reads. It would drive me bananas.

message 22: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2787 comments Becky wrote: "Why not use this one: A book recommended by someone you just met "

*snort* Good suggestion...

message 23: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2735 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Becky wrote: "So, I'm not doing any re-reads this year, so "A book you haven't read since high school" is going to just be a book that I should have read in HS but didn't. :D"

Look at you! No re-r..."

Well... it really came out of my not wanting to spend the year reading a bunch of King books that I've read 800 times before and actually read some of the unread books I own instead.

message 24: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2010 comments I tend to only reread earlier series books in preparation of continuing and/or completing said series.

There are a few individual novels, however, that I read decades ago that I wouldn’t mind revisiting one day.

message 25: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2010 comments Lol King is on that list - primarily Needfull Things and The Dark Half. I want to see if I can remind myself as to why my teen self loved them so much.

message 26: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2388 comments Becky wrote: "Why not use this one: A book recommended by someone you just met

Seems more appropriate since that's what happened. :P ..."

I thought about this, but I never interacted even once with any of the folks that voted for the thing lol

message 27: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5206 comments Becky wrote: "Well... it really came out of my not wanting to spend the year reading a bunch of King books that I've read 800 times before and actually read some of the unread books I own instead.."

Makes sense. I have to do a reset occasionally because I run across a lot of trash (KU).

message 28: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2735 comments Chris wrote: "I thought about this, but I never interacted even once with any of the folks that voted for the thing lol"

Interpret it as the collective "you", meaning the group. :P

message 29: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2388 comments Ahh, but I've know this group for 5 years. lol

message 30: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2735 comments Chris wrote: "Ahh, but I've know this group for 5 years. lol"

You're really not making this easy. :P

message 31: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2388 comments I know...hehe

But I get what you're saying. I would never have heard of the book if someone hadn't come to our group and nominated it, then invited more friends to come vote for it.

So recommended by someone(s) that we as a group just met.

That works.

message 32: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2735 comments Yes. Exactly. :D

message 33: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2010 comments I’m buckling ... I might pull a Becky - post the entire list, throw books at it, and see what sticks. *Shrug* I don’t know yet.

I also found the “I’ll Try Anything Once” list of various genres and sub-genres.

message 34: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5206 comments Nyssa wrote: "I’m buckling ... I might pull a Becky - post the entire list, throw books at it, and see what sticks. *Shrug* I don’t know yet.

I also found the “I’ll Try Anything Once” list of various genres and..."

That one was a niiiiice one, too...

message 35: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2735 comments Nyssa wrote: "I’m buckling ... I might pull a Becky - post the entire list, throw books at it, and see what sticks. *Shrug* I don’t know yet.

I also found the “I’ll Try Anything Once” list of various genres and..."

*drool*

message 36: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2010 comments If you want to start another challenge folder, I can post the list when I get home.

I might even be able to find the one a tweaked, as an example.

message 37: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2735 comments I think we could use this folder and just add the list in a new thread. :)

message 38: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2010 comments Cool. Thought this one might be SFE specific.

Okay. I’ll post a new thread later today.

message 39: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2787 comments I might also do the thing where I just plop in books as I read them... though there are some categories I pretty much know I won't read.

message 40: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5206 comments I think I'll do the same

message 41: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2010 comments Nyssa wrote: "Cool. Thought this one might be SFE specific.

Okay. I’ll post a new thread later today."

Done.

message 42: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 88 comments Can I use a book I started years ago and just never finished?

message 43: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2735 comments Why not? Go for it.

message 44: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 88 comments I just realized it says memoir. The one I had in mind is a political biography. Oh well.