Q & A with Breathers author S.G. Browne discussion

Just A Little Intro

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.G. (new)

S.G. (sgbrowne) | 12 comments Mod
Thanks for joining the group. For the next couple of weeks I will do my best to answer any questions and engage in discussions on a timely manner, so if you have any thoughts or want to start a discussion thread on related topics, step right up. And if you have any friends who you think might be interested, invite them, too.

While I figure most of you have picked up BREATHERS or already started reading it, for those who haven't and don't know what it's about, here's a quick description:

"BREATHERS is a dark comedy about zombies from the POV of a recently reanimated corpse named Andy Warner. Andy lives with his resentful parents while trying to adjust to his new existence as a zombie in a society that no longer considers him human. But when he finds kindred souls in his Undead Anonymous group and falls in love with a sexy suicide named Rita, Andy embarks on a journey of self-discovery that takes him from his casket to the SPCA to a media-drive class-action lawsuit on behalf of the rights of zombies everywhere. And along the way, he might even devour some Breathers."

Thanks again for stopping by. Introduce yourself. Let me know who you are. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Bowsman SPOILER ALERT - IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE BOOK, DO NOT READ BELOW!!!!!

Were you at all tempted to give Breathers a happy ending, meaning, Andy & Rita end up happily ever after?

message 3: by S.G. (new)

Hi Chris. Yes, actually, when I was writing the first draft, I had two endings in mind. One dark and the other happy. Though since I tend to allow the story to unfold as I'm writing, I don't always know what's going to happen from miles away. I don't have a GPS telling me which way to turn. I usually get to a story intersection and decide: "Well, let's try going this way."

While the idea of a happy ending had its appeal, eventually, I realized that to go down that path didn't work for two reasons:

1) I was writing a dark comedy and a happy ending just seemed incongruous
2) As the story unfolded, it just didn't seem reasonable that happily-ever-after would be believable in the context of the events that transpired

Thanks for the question, Chris.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Bowsman Though I wanted them to be ok, I actually prefer the ending as-is. That was really the emotional hit, and I don't think that the story would be nearly as memorable without it.

I totally understand about the letting it go where it goes. In high school, we always had to do an outline and follow it strictly, which I hated. I just came up with the guy's name, how the hell do I know where he's going? As a result, it's now 12 years later that I'm writing again. "Organic" writing works much better for me.

message 5: by S.G. (new)

I know a lot of authors who create a complete outline chapter by chapter and I've never been able to do that. It's like going on a group tour vacation where every day is planned out. Plus I find it more enjoyable to discover the story as I'm writing it.

Good luck with your writing, Chris. And from someone who spent 18 years writing and received hundreds of rejections on my previous stories and novels before I finally got a book published, don't give up.