European Royalty discussion

History Group Reads > Oct 1 - Nov 1: Memoirs of a Geisha

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Hey everyone! Our October 1 - November 1 read will be:

Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

by Arthur Golden

Arthur Golden

We will start the discussion on OCTOBER 1ST. Feel free to read the book whenever it's convenient for you, but keep the discussion date in mind - we won't start early!

We'll do the discussion threads broken up by chapters like all the other times, but I figure this thread can be used by those frustrated with amazon's delivery slowness (or your library's slowness) or for any other reason. Just don't discuss the book in any detail here! (General "I'm a couple chapters in and I like it" comments are fine, but we'll start the real discussion threads on OCTOBER 1ST.) For those of you just joining us, you can look through the previous threads in this Monthly Group Read section to see how we did it before because the process will be the same (there's also a thread just like this thread for the other books we've read together).

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 85 comments Woooooooo!!!!!!!! This is one of my favourite ever books (it's in my top 5). I read it about 7 years ago and I STILL think about the characters. If anyone has seen the film and liked it you will just LOVE this! Can't wait for the discussions.

message 3: by Tisha (new)

Tisha | 72 comments Same here, Boof. This is in my Top 5 too! :)

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Mccormick (pmccormick) | 2 comments I love this book, and can hardly wait to read it again.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 53 comments Boof wrote: "Woooooooo!!!!!!!! This is one of my favourite ever books (it's in my top 5). I read it about 7 years ago and I STILL think about the characters. If anyone has seen the film and liked it you will ju..."

I feel the exact same way Boof!!

message 6: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Could someone who has this book on hand tell me some good places to divide it (just give me the Parts if the book has them - if not, could you just eyeball it and break it up into about three parts)?

I've read this book and really enjoyed it, but my copy is somewhere at my parents' house halfway across the country.

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 85 comments Sara, I have just looked at my copy and there are a total of 35 chapters - it's not split into books.

Having had a quick look through, the most natural breaks, I think, would be:

Chapters 1-12
Chapters 13-24
Capters 25-35

The beginnings of these new threads would all start with something like "a few years later".

Hope that's OK?

message 8: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Boof wrote: "Sara, I have just looked at my copy and there are a total of 35 chapters - it's not split into books.

Having had a quick look through, the most natural breaks, I think, would be:

Chapters 1-..."

Awesome, that's perfect! Thanks a lot Boof! :)

message 9: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I received four emails about this book being read, so I apologize if everyone else did as well. I don't generate those emails (goodreads does it automatically), so I have no idea why the reminder got sent so many times.