Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Same book, entered twice. Now what?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 167 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28...

and

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/65...

are the same book. They've been entered with the same main author but different other authors/roles. Shouldn't they be merged? If not, what should happen?

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments They are not the same edition (one is print, the other Kindle) and should be combined. In theory someone should standardize the author list.

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments No, they're different editions -- one's a Kindle binding with ASIN and one's a paperback with ISBN. It looks like someone entered each one with a different listing of "top" contributors, possibly from different press releases; you could find the full list from the title of contents, if one's available, and set both editions up correctly. I've gone ahead and combined them, at any rate.

message 4: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 167 comments Thanks, y'all. I didn't notice the "Kindle" until I'd already posted, so combining is what I should have done. I'll do the contributor list thingy.

Is "collaborator" one of the role choices? Instead of "contributor," I mean. The book is a collection of essays on the theme, so "contributor" seems right, but the Kindle ed. is using "collaborator."

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 21, 2009 04:13PM) (new)

rivka | 42000 comments Mod
Amazon's roles are far from consistent. You can edit it to [edit: oops!] "contributor", but keep in mind that requires deleting and re-adding the secondary author(s).

message 6: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 167 comments Well, if I'm going to go to the trouble of getting the full list of essayists and make both editions conform, I think "contributor" is the proper role (except for Glen Yeffeth, editor). What say you?

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Works for me. Sorry, I mistyped last night.

message 8: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 167 comments Ah. My faith in you is restored.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

:D

message 10: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 167 comments Displaying my ignorance yet again -- what does

:D

mean, please?

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It's like this: Big Grin

(only sideways, because ASCII is limited like that)

message 12: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 167 comments Hah. Thanks.

message 13: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 167 comments Re msg #2: Yarbro is one of my specialties and I plan to work on her as soon as I'm done (if ever) with Peter O'Donnell.