Pellinor fans!!! discussion

Introductions > Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ainnie (new)

Ainnie (ainnie_ain12) | 1 comments im kinda new (duh) but i love the books of pellinor!!!

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) I'm not sure about exactly loving the series, but I certainly enjoyed reading them. And, of course, re-reading them! I think I might have a third go at them some years in the future if another book, prequel or sequel, appears, but in the meantime I'm going to lend them out.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Adrianja, I'm not at all sure that there is likely to be sequels as in The Singing there is a summary of the surviving character's lives (which rather gives it all away). However, I wonder if she'll go for a prequel or two in time.

Still, the sequence is just about perfect as it is. How can you add to something that is so self-contained?

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Adrianja wrote: "Exactly. Everything was perfectly wrapped up in the end. She could possibly write about Afinil and the Elementals and Sharma's first rising" I agree; this seems about the only way to go if she is tempted to write more.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Has anyone seen the (I think a little confusing) genealogical tree for Maerad and Hem here http://www.booksofpellinor.com/keys/g...?
This looks to have been especially prepared for the site (unless it's in the US version of the series; it's certainly absent in the UK edition).

message 6: by Monklin (new)

Monklin | 6 comments I happen to follow her on Twitter, it seems that writing the series took a lot out of her. But she says she may write some short stories.

message 7: by Zarah (new)

Zarah | 7 comments hey, i'm new and i LOVE these books!!!!

message 8: by Zarah (new)

Zarah | 7 comments cool :D

message 9: by Zarah (new)

Zarah | 7 comments someone (was it you??) put a note in the other group and i say it there.

message 10: by Zarah (new)

Zarah | 7 comments no

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 44 comments Hi everyone!
My name is Linda and I LOVE Alison Croggon's books (in fact I have a group over on Ravelry called Pellinor, feel free to check us out) I see this group is pretty small too, doesn't make much sense to me as great as her books are but it is easier to have conversations where you don't feel like you've missed something when there aren't as many people, anyway just wanted to say HI!!!

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 44 comments Pardon the extremely wordy introduction above, I'm in a strange mood today plus I'm excited because I didn't think there was a group like this on Goodreads.

message 13: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Danfora (ladyeramere) | 22 comments Mod
I am a complete Pellinor addict...seriously! the first book sat on my shelf for 5 years, and i only just read it a year ago, and i looooveeed it so much, i read the rest of the series before school started that summer! I think her books are even better than Lord of the Rings, honestly!

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) I like the Pellinor books and The Lord of the Rings, and personally I don't think one is better than the other. They share some themes and concepts but it's a bit like saying that Wellington boots are better than comfy slippers--it's horses for courses, isn't it! And don't forget that if it wasn't for LOTR making multi-volume fantasy both fun and cool in the mid-20th century Pellinor would probably not have come into being!

Where Pellinor scores over LOTR is in getting into the minds of the characters, especially Maerad herself, and in creating believable females (both aspects which Tolkien didn't seem too interested in). I've enjoyed both sequences, and the fact that I've only read Pellinor twice (as opposed to LOTR thrice) is only because Pellinor is more recent. Both sets of novels stand well on their own merits and I'll defend them both equally!

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 44 comments I love both! but LOTR is what introduced me to fantasy, I read it when I was 8 or 9 and fantasy has been my favorite since.
(but I think I do like Pellinor a bit better)

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Adrianja wrote: "Oh, don't get me wrong LOTR are good books, but I personally didn't get into them much. I find it hard to keep up with all the different characters and beings."

I'd agree with you Adrianja on the numbers of LOTR characters and beings (thank goodness I've never got into The Silmarillion and all the rest: my brain would be addled!). Tolkien liked Fellowships and Bilbo's dwarf troop and extended hobbit families (perhaps something to do with his Oxford University background); Croggon, despite her large geographical canvas sensibly manages to keep the focus on half a dozen or so distinct characters, with other individuals moreorless limited to a specific city, region or school.

Tolkien was definitely of his time; I find his pipe-smoking-homely-hobbits ideal just a little dated, though his obvious love of books (as is Croggon's) is one I can easily sympathise with. And the hobbit's love of food, orderliness and baths is something that Maerad would definitely understand.

message 17: by Linda (last edited Sep 04, 2011 04:47PM) (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 44 comments I've never read the Landover series, I read the High Druid of Shannara but didn't like how it ended so I never read any of his other series, I have read all of the Harry Potter's and I may have read the first one before I read LOTR but LOTR made a bigger impression on me, I really like Sharon Shinn have you read her books?

message 18: by Abigail (new)

i've never read the Landover series--actually, i've never even heard of them! :O. I guess the reason I like Pellinor better than LOTR is because, like Chris said, Alison Croggon really does a great job getting into everyone's minds. Plus, I just loooveee her writing style--she used to just write poetry, so her writing flows very nicely, unlike a lot of modern writers. I think Tolkein had a nice writing style, but it wasn't quite as poetic. Does anyone have any idea if they're going to make a movie out of TBOP??

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Abigail wrote: "Does anyone have any idea if they're going to make a movie out of TBOP??"

A quartet of movies, surely! Sadly, I don't think that will happen until sales of the books reach a critical mass (like LOTR, the two Hobbit films, Tintin, even that first so-so Golden Compass film).

message 20: by Abigail (new)

yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. The books aren't being publisized enough by Alison, so that'll probably take a good decade, if they ever reach that scale of publicity. who would you pick for each of the characters if they did decide to make a movie out of TBOP?? (as in actors/actresses) I think the guy who played Aragorn in LOTR would be good for Cadvan, but he might be getting too old for that kind of role. Maybe Richard Armitage, if Mortenson (Aragorn) won't do it.

message 21: by Linda (last edited Sep 05, 2011 10:00AM) (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 44 comments Is it weird I like Orlando Bloom for the part of Cadvan?
As for Maerad, I haven't seen anyone who makes me think of her so maybe someone relatively unknown?
And I would lol if Aldis Hodge played Saliman, but I think he would be as good for the part as anyone (although I've never seen him in fantasy or sci fi.)
OOH, weird idea, how about Christian Kane for Cadvan? He's got the long hair, he's a decent age and he does fantasy/sci fi very well.

message 22: by Abigail (new)

haha, no that's not weird at all, Linda! Orlando Bloom would be great too. He's done lots of fantasy movies already, and he's got the right looks for it. I was thinking maybe the girl who plays Susan in the Narnia movies for Maerad. What movies was Christian Kane in??

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) The British (and probably Australian) edition covers are different from the US covers which have strong memorable images of Maerad and Hem; these might influence the kind of actors casting directors could well look for. The British editions (with harp, feather etc) don't give much of a clue to likenesses.

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Candlewick Press publish the Pellinor books in the States. If you look at, say, your page with The Crow, to the right where it says 'other editions' you can see the paperback/Kindle editions with a picture of Hem and Irc on his shoulder. The Books of Pellinor website shows you the same pics (see http://booksofpellinor.com/characters... for Maerad).

message 25: by Linda (last edited Sep 05, 2011 05:54PM) (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 44 comments Abigail wrote: "haha, no that's not weird at all, Linda! Orlando Bloom would be great too. He's done lots of fantasy movies already, and he's got the right looks for it. I was thinking maybe the girl who plays ..."

He may be in some movies but the things I've seen him in are on tv, Leverage and Angel, here's some pictures
http://www.thehunkies.com/christian-k...#

I don't know, I just think he looks the part.

message 26: by Abigail (new)

oh, that would be why I've never seen him :P. Don't laugh, but we don't really watch TV :D. just movies. LOTS of movies--we usually watch TCM (yeah, we're old fashioned :)) or a Netflix movie. I know what y'all mean about there not being anyone quite like the characters. They're just too epic for mere human imitation, i guess!!! I've got a question for anyone who has Mod-status...I'm not quite sure who that would be...but anyways, are we allowed to post Pellinor fan-fic in this group, or if we want to do that do we need to start another group?

message 27: by Linda (last edited Sep 06, 2011 05:43AM) (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 44 comments Chris Kane is in his 30s, plus if you've seen him in the later seasons of Angel I think you might know what I mean (haunted doesn't begin to cover it), but I wouldn't care to much who played anyone, a movie version would make my entire YEAR!!!

message 28: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 44 comments Abigail wrote: "oh, that would be why I've never seen him :P. Don't laugh, but we don't really watch TV :D. just movies. LOTS of movies--we usually watch TCM (yeah, we're old fashioned :)) or a Netflix movie. ..."

Ooh, fanfic would be great!!

(and I love TCM, my all-time favorite movie is Singing in the rain)

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate Copeseeley (airdriesg) | 1 comments Hi there! I got invited by someone who commented on my review of the first book.

My name is Kate Copeseeley and I'm a fantasy junky. Especially of the YA variety! These books are amazing!

message 30: by Casea (new)

Casea Major (caseamajor) | 18 comments Adrianja - Thanks for inviting me to this group. I hold a special place in my heart for these stories. They are what inspired me to start writing. I love Alison's work and her world. I hear she's writing a new story. Can't wait. Glad to be here.

message 31: by Zarah (new)

Zarah | 7 comments hello

message 32: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 44 comments Hi guy's, nice to meet you!!

message 33: by Becky (new)

Becky | 232 comments Mod
Hi, I'm Becky, I joined after someone invited me by commenting on my review. So glad to find a group of people who like these books as much as I!!

message 34: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 44 comments Hi Becky! Welcome!!

message 35: by Becky (new)

Becky | 232 comments Mod
I suppose it ensures they've read at least one of the books! :) Thanks for the welcomes!

message 36: by Seline (new)

Seline (Maerad) | 3 comments Hey, I'm new. Well, at least to this group I am.
I absolutely love the series.

message 37: by Seline (new)

Seline (Maerad) | 3 comments Thanks

message 38: by Ice (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) I have reached page 34 of the Gift, as it is named here in Cambridge (UK !). So bear with me as I explore this land. :-)

message 39: by Becky (new)

Becky | 232 comments Mod
yay another person who reads the gift!!

message 40: by Ice (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) Yes - and now on Page 91 so just about caught up on the read a long .... recommended by Linda

message 41: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (hillsofbooks) | 1 comments Hey, just that really 'hi' and to say that i love this series

message 42: by Paige (new)

Paige | 1 comments Hi! I'm new here, but I loved the Pellinor books. I recently found them on sale at a bookstore for really cheap (when I read them, I got them from the library), so of course I bought them all :) Hadn't really met anyone else who read these books, so it's good to find this club :)

message 43: by Becky (new)

Becky | 232 comments Mod
Welcome!

message 44: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Paige wrote: "Hi! I'm new here, but I loved the Pellinor books. I recently found them on sale at a bookstore for really cheap (when I read them, I got them from the library), so of course I bought them all :) Ha..."

I too discovered them from a library, and took the trouble to buy them new when I was ready for a re-read (and am so pleased I did). Glad you found them at a reduced price--I wasn't so lucky!

message 45: by Becky (new)

Becky | 232 comments Mod
yeah me neither! I bought them from Watersones because I thought they looked interesting, I read the first page then bought it, talk about impulse buying!

message 46: by Dolores (new)

Dolores | 1 comments Hi! I'm new here and I absolutely loved the pellinor books, and am looking foward to being a part of this club!!!

message 47: by Becky (new)

Becky | 232 comments Mod
Welcome Dolores :)

message 48: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) This seems to have nothing to do with Pellenor Fields, as the title may suggest. Am I completely lost?

message 49: by Ice (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) Joe wrote: "This seems to have nothing to do with Pellenor Fields, as the title may suggest. Am I completely lost?"

Yes - this is YA fantasy rather than LOTR - try Fantasy faction

message 50: by Becky (new)

Becky | 232 comments Mod
Joe wrote: "This seems to have nothing to do with Pellenor Fields, as the title may suggest. Am I completely lost?"

Pellinor refers to the books of Pellinor by Alison Croggan, well worth reading if you like LOTR

« previous 1