Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

2019 Around the Globe Challenge > Around the Globe (2019) - Rules & Questions

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Jan 05, 2019 09:29AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1687 comments Mod
Historical Mysteries Around the Globe
Duration: January 1, 2019 - December 31, 2019

***Ask any questions in this thread***

GENERAL RULES:
1) Participants may join at any time during the challenge.

2) As the purpose of this challenge is to broaden our reading horizons to include mysteries set in as many different countries as possible, you can only read ONE book per country.

3) Definition of historical mystery for this challenge: Any book whose central plot involves a crime of any type (murder, robbery, etc.) and takes place at any point that is at least 50 years in the past. This includes works set in a time period that is historical from the author’s perspective (for example, The Cadfael Chronicles by Ellis Peters) as well as books written in the past from our perspective and set during the author’s lifetime (for example, Hercule Poirot by Agatha Christie).

Spy/espionage books do not work for the challenge. They are thrillers, not mysteries.

4) Setting is determined as 50% of the book taking place in the required country.

5) Re-reads and audiobooks are acceptable 

6) All books begun on January 1st count toward the challenge

7) Create a personal thread in the challenge folder to keep track of your countries and books. Indicate in the first post which level you are aiming for. You can change your level at any time during the challenge.

8) Please make a new post for every task that contains:
A. The region
B. The country
C. The book to be read. 
D. Once you have finished the book, create a new post with all the details above AND the date read. You can also add a few comments about the book if you want (this is not compulsory). 

LEVELS:

* For all levels, each book must be set in a different country.

Level #1: Traveller - 5 to 15 books set in 1 to 3 regions
Level #2: Adventurer - 15 to 25 books in 4 to 5 regions
Level #3: Explorer - 25 to 35 books in 6 to 8 regions
Level #4: Globetrotter - 35+ books in all 8 regions 

REGIONS:

For the purpose of this challenge, we will be using the ThoughtCo official listing of countries by world region -

https://www.thoughtco.com/official-li...

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Alice (new)

Alice | 607 comments Alice's spot

message 4: by Libby (new)

Libby McLellan | 137 comments Thanks for organizing our fun activities, Lauren! I am having a difficult time deciding on what level I should do. It all depends on what else goes on in one’s life doesn’t it? Anybody got a crystal ball?

message 5: by Libby (new)

Libby McLellan | 137 comments To set up my area to post the books I read do I just send a post with “reserved” on it?

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine | 27 comments Ok, I’m in -IF I can figure out the what and how of a “personal thread in this folder.”
Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments Quick question: when we stumble upon places that following wars and other political changes have gone from belonging to one country to another, which country do we mark that book for?
For example, a book set in Königsberg... after being a part of the German Empire, Königsberg became Russian: do we pick Germany or Russia?

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 218 comments Sounds harder than the past couple years' challenges (so many English books!) - but I think I'm in.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Alice wrote: "Alice's spot"

Alice, you need to start your own thread in the Around the Globe Challenge folder.

Here is the link - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

Just click on "new topic" on the right hand side and create your thread.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Libby wrote: "Thanks for organizing our fun activities, Lauren! I am having a difficult time deciding on what level I should do. It all depends on what else goes on in one’s life doesn’t it? Anybody got a crysta..."

No problem, Libby!
You can always start with level one and change as you go along.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Libby wrote: "To set up my area to post the books I read do I just send a post with “reserved” on it?"

You start a thread in the Around the Globe challenge folder (exactly the same as the Clue challenge).

Here is the link to the folder - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Christine wrote: "Ok, I’m in -IF I can figure out the what and how of a “personal thread in this folder.”
Any guidance is greatly appreciated."

Welcome to the challenge Christine :)

To create a personal thread follow the link below and click on "new topic" to create the thread.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Vittoria wrote: "Quick question: when we stumble upon places that following wars and other political changes have gone from belonging to one country to another, which country do we mark that book for?
For example, ..."

Hmmm... good question.
I'm going to say that you choose the country that the book is set in. In other words, if the book is set before the war then it is Germany and if the book is set after the war then it is Russia. Does that make sense?

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Tracey wrote: "Sounds harder than the past couple years' challenges (so many English books!) - but I think I'm in."

I know. I was debating about whether or not to limit to one book per country and decided that as the purpose is to broaden horizons, I would put the limit in place.
If people begin to struggle, I will rethink it.

message 15: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments Lauren wrote: "if the book is set before the war then it is Germany and if the book is set after the war then it is Russia. Does that make sense?"

Absolutely. Thanks, Lauren !!

message 16: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I'm in! I'm starting with level 1 and see how that goes.

message 17: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 393 comments I'm in for level 1. I have to see what else looks good and what my schedule allows.

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine | 27 comments Bummer! Link to set up personal thread isn’t working.

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine | 27 comments So link still didn’t work but I found the + sign in top right corner and that did it!

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Christine wrote: "So link still didn’t work but I found the + sign in top right corner and that did it!"

That's weird!
Glad you found a workaround though.

message 21: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Allman | 104 comments Lauren,

Can we maybe set up a thread where people can post book titles and the countries they are set in? Of course, England and the US are easy but I am going to struggle with many of the other countries. Or maybe there is a website that has this information? Thank you.

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Sure thing Dawn. That is a great suggestion. I will set one up now.

message 23: by Viji (new)

Viji | 213 comments Lauren wrote: "Sure thing Dawn. That is a great suggestion. I will set one up now."

Oh! That would be a great help, Lauren. Thanks, Dawn, for the suggestion.

message 24: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 90 comments What an awesome challenge. I’m in! Thank you, Lauren.

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Carol wrote: "What an awesome challenge. I’m in! Thank you, Lauren."

Sure thing Carol. Hope you enjoy it :)

message 26: by Viji (new)

Viji | 213 comments Would A Poisoned Season (Lady Emily, #2) by Tasha Alexander A Poisoned Season by Tasha Alexander work for the country: France?

From the synopsis, I am not able to make it out. Could somebody who read this book already help me with this query?

Thanks.

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Viji wrote: "Would A Poisoned Season (Lady Emily, #2) by Tasha Alexander A Poisoned Season by Tasha Alexander work for the country: France?

From the synopsis, I am not able to make it out. Could ..."

Unfortunately no. The book is set entirely in England.

message 28: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 393 comments There's another Lady Emily book set in the Ottoman Empire. I haven't read it but I might if I have time.

message 29: by Viji (new)

Viji | 213 comments Lauren wrote: "Viji wrote: "Would A Poisoned Season (Lady Emily, #2) by Tasha Alexander A Poisoned Season by Tasha Alexander work for the country: France?

From the synopsis, I am not able to make i..."

Thanks, Lauren. I wanted to be sure before I started it.

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Please note!

Spy/espionage books do not work for the challenge. These are not mysteries; they are thrillers.

Rules have been updated to reflect this.

message 31: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments Question: I just started reading Shroud for the Archbishop by Peter Tremayne, which is set in Rome's Lateran Palace - so technically one could consider the book set in Italy. The thing is, the Lateran Palace is actually one of the extraterritorial properties of the Holy See (aka Vatican City).
Do I mark Vatican City or Italy?

message 32: by Lauren (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ wrote: "Question: I just started reading Shroud for the Archbishop by Peter Tremayne, which is set in Rome's Lateran Palace"

Similar to the question about areas that have been conquered during wartime, you would go with the country it belonged to at the time the story was set. So as the setting is during the time of the Roman Empire and it was not yet part of the Holy See, you would mark it as Italy.