Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2019 Plans > Barbara's ATY (mostly Booker, 1001 and ToB books)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Barbara (last edited Oct 25, 2019 01:28AM) (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments This is the plan, but of course all can change!

45. A multi-generational saga
The Great Believers
46. A book with a (mostly) black cover
Biljarten om half tien
47. A book related to food (i.e. title, cover, plot, etc.)
Bitter Orange
48. A book that was a finalist or winner for the National Book Award for any year
The Flame Throwers
49. A book written by a Far East Asian author or set in a Far East Asian country
The Garden of Evening Mists
50. A book that includes a journey (physical, health, or spiritual)
The North Water
51. A book published in 2019
52. A book with a weird or intriguing title
Vernon Subutex, 1

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments 1. A book that was nominated for or won an award in a genre you enjoyed

Washington Black by Esi Edugyan

Here I am choosing a book that was nominated for the Man Booker Prize, because it's my favourite prize and I try to read as many as I can.
Because of the upcoming Tournament of Books I will read Washington Black. It is shortlisted for the ToB and I have a copy. So far it didn't really appeal to me but now it makes sense to read it!

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments 2. A book with one of the 5 W's in the title (Who, What, Where, When, Why)

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

The year has just started and I already finished the first prompt. So now I can think of the second one, which will be Where the Crawdads Sing. This book has been all over Litsy lately so I am happy to have a reason now to read it too.

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments 3. A book where the author’s name contains A, T, and Y

My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite

This is an easy one, I've got lots of author's with A, T and Y in their names. I choose however for a book that's shortlisted for the Tournament of Book because I am planning to read that list anyway. The book itself gets mixed reviews but it seems to be a quick read, which is fine, then I'm all set for the much harder fourth prompt!

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments 4. A book with a criminal character (i.e. assassin, pirate, thief, robber, scoundrel etc)

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

I wanted to read Billy Bathgate for this prompt but with week 4 approaching rapidly I dreaded starting it. Instead I have chosen for The Sisters Brothers, which is about two criminal brothers and seems a light and funny read. Besides, it was nominated for the Man Booker Prize in 2011.

message 6: by Irene (last edited Jan 18, 2019 02:59AM) (new)

Irene | 93 comments Barbara wrote: "2. A book with one of the 5 W's in the title (Who, What, Where, When, Why)

I am also reading this for the second prompt, I only read the first 100 pages or so but so far I am loving it.

message 7: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments I'm reading the ToB shortlist as well. I'm about halfway finished and no 5 star reads yet but hopefully that will change. I've enjoyed most of them and the ones I was most looking forward to are still to come.

You have some other great books in your plan as well. The Great Believers (I was very bummed this wasn't on the shortlist) and The Night Circus were two of my favorites in 2018.

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments Irene wrote: "Barbara wrote: "2. A book with one of the 5 W's in the title (Who, What, Where, When, Why)

I am also reading this for the second prompt, I only rea..."

I really liked it, I hope you did too!

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "I'm reading the ToB shortlist as well. I'm about halfway finished and no 5 star reads yet but hopefully that will change. I've enjoyed most of them and the ones I was most looking forward to are st..."

Thank you, I have to check out your list as well. I am enjoying the ToB shortlist but have no real favorite so far, do you?

message 10: by Irene (new)

Irene | 93 comments Barbara wrote: "I really liked it, I hope you did too!"
I really really loved it, I am sad it is finished.

message 11: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Barbara wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "I'm reading the ToB shortlist as well. I'm about halfway finished and no 5 star reads yet but hopefully that will change. I've enjoyed most of them and the ones I was most looking..."

My current favorite from the ToB is The House of Broken Angels. I just felt so real and the final chapter hit me hard in the feels. I still have a few of the front runners remaining so we'll see if that changes.

message 12: by Barbara (last edited Jan 21, 2019 07:00AM) (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "I'm reading the ToB shortlist as well. I'm about halfway finished and no 5 star reads yet but hopefully that will change. I've enjoyed most of them and the ones I ..."

Ah that's good to know, I just ordered a copy of that one. Hopefully I can fit it in somewhere in the challenge

message 13: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Barbara wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "I'm reading the ToB shortlist as well. I'm about halfway finished and no 5 star reads yet but hopefully that will change. I've enjoyed most of th..."

I used it for the elderly character prompt. There are characters names Big Angel and Little Angel so you could also use it for the person's name in title prompt.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "I'm reading the ToB shortlist as well. I'm about halfway finished and no 5 star reads yet but hopefully that will change. I've en..."

I am reading it right now! I can't use it for my ATY challenge since I read the prompts in order but I need to read it anyway before the start of the Tournament of Books (another of my challenges). So far I'm loving it!

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments 5. A book by Shakespeare or inspired by Shakespeare

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Only one of the books on my shelves seems to fit this prompt so I am going for The Night Circus. It's not my kind of book at all so I am looking forward to start and see what I'll think of it!

message 16: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments The Night Circus seems to be a love it or hate it kind of book. I loved it! I think it helps going in knowing that there is not really much of a plot but the atmosphere and imagery is so wonderful that it more than makes up for it.

message 17: by Edie (new)

Edie | 835 comments Barbara wrote: "5. A book by Shakespeare or inspired by Shakespeare

Only one of the books on my shelves seems to fit this prompt so I am going for The Night Circus. It's not ..."

I loved this book. And I would say it's not my normal book either. Probably in the top 10 of books I have read in recent years.

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments Edie wrote: "Barbara wrote: "5. A book by Shakespeare or inspired by Shakespeare

Only one of the books on my shelves seems to fit this prompt so I am going for The Night C..."

That is good to know! I am looking forward to it and reading a fantasy book for a change!

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "The Night Circus seems to be a love it or hate it kind of book. I loved it! I think it helps going in knowing that there is not really much of a plot but the atmosphere and imagery is so wonderful ..."

Thanks for the recommendation, I am looking forward to is. Starting it later today, since I just finished The House of Broken Angels. What a fantastic book! That last chapter indeed! Are you on Litsy, by the way?

message 20: by Irene (new)

Irene | 93 comments I also just bought The House of Broken Angels, looking forward to starting it.

message 21: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 608 comments I have The House of Broken Angels waiting on my Kindle. You all are making me very excited for it.

message 22: by hannah (new)

hannah (hannahburs) | 40 comments I really loved The Night Circus! Seconding what others said about the atmosphere and imagery — it really does a lovely job of painting a picture of the world.

message 23: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Glad you enjoyed The House of Broken Angels and I hope everyone else reading it does as well.

I opened a Litsy account but never did anything with it but a few people have mentioned it lately so I think I will go back and try to figure it out. I am rachel_nyc if you want to add me.

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments Irene wrote: "I also just bought The House of Broken Angels, looking forward to starting it."

It is so good, I hope you'll like it as much as I did. Are you also reading the ToB shortlist?

message 25: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments Milena wrote: "I have The House of Broken Angels waiting on my Kindle. You all are making me very excited for it."

It is a book full of stories and full of love in my opinion. You'll read it fast since it is hard to stop once you started. I hope you'll get to it soon!

message 26: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments hannah wrote: "I really loved The Night Circus! Seconding what others said about the atmosphere and imagery — it really does a lovely job of painting a picture of the world."

I started it yesterday and am already 125 pages in! I still don't know where the story is leading but I am enjoying it very much!

message 27: by Irene (new)

Irene | 93 comments Barbara wrote: "It is so good, I hope you'll like it as much as I did. Are you also reading the ToB shortlist?"

No, because I couldn't possible read all of them on time, but I have a few of them on my TBR mountain and I will try to get to them before ToB starts, but we'll see...

message 28: by Barbara (last edited Feb 03, 2019 12:51AM) (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments 6. A book with a dual timeline

The Hand That First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell

I managed to read the first five weeks in order! Now on to February.
Maggie O'Farrell is my choice for a book with a dual timeline because I have loved two of het other books and this seems a perfect opportunity to read a third.

message 29: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Barbara wrote: "6. A book with a dual timeline

Maggie O'Neill is my choice for a book with ..."

This looks so good! I loved The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox and would like to read more of her work. Looking forward to hearing what you think of this.

message 30: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "Barbara wrote: "6. A book with a dual timeline

Maggie O'Neill is my choice ..."

Yes! That's one of the two I l read and loved, the other being This Must Be the Place

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments 7. 2 books related to the same topic, genre, or theme: Book #1

Milkman by Anna Burns

The next two weeks I am choosing two books regarding the same theme: the Tournament of Books. I want to read as many books from the shortlist as possible before the ToB starts in March.
So I am reading Milkman for this prompt, a book I've been meaning to read since it won the Man Booker Prize.

message 32: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 787 comments Hi Barbara, nice to see you here (guessing you are BarbaraBB from Litsy?) Interesting plan you have, enjoy your challenge :)

message 33: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) Well done Barbara! That connection didn’t occur to me but obviously it’s what us ToBers need to do. :-)

message 34: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments Barbara wrote: "7. 2 books related to the same topic, genre, or theme: Book #1

Milkman by Anna Burns

The next two weeks I am choosing two books regarding the same theme: the Tournament of Books. I want to..."

That's a great idea for that prompt. I've been considering how to choose two books linked in some way, but haven't come up with a good idea so this might be a possibility.
Milkman is on my tbr along with most of the other ToB books. I hope you enjoy it and maybe to see a review!

message 35: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments Hilde wrote: "Hi Barbara, nice to see you here (guessing you are BarbaraBB from Litsy?) Interesting plan you have, enjoy your challenge :)"

Yes I am! Then you must be Hilded!

message 36: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments Mindy wrote: "Well done Barbara! That connection didn’t occur to me but obviously it’s what us ToBers need to do. :-)"

Hi Mindy, yes I was very happy with these prompts, since I'm reading the ATY books in order and I really want to read some more ToB books as well!

I had a hard time with this one though, even though it is really good!

message 37: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments Marina H wrote: "Barbara wrote: "7. 2 books related to the same topic, genre, or theme: Book #1

Milkman by Anna Burns

The next two weeks I am choosing two books regarding the same theme: the Tournament of ..."

Hi Marina, I am writing my reviews on Litsy, are you there as well?

message 38: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Very clever to use ToB for #7 and 8 especially since you are reading in order.

I didn't want to veer from my plan of pairing a fiction and non-fiction but I did change the topic to be about prison life so I am using The Mars Room for #7.

I am both nervous and excited to read Milkman since the reviews are so mixed. I should be ready to start it in a week or so.

message 39: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments Barbara wrote: "Hi Marina, I am writing my reviews on Litsy, are you there as well?"

Yep, I'm Marina_h 😊 I'll keep an eye out for your review!

message 40: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "Very clever to use ToB for #7 and 8 especially since you are reading in order.

I didn't want to veer from my plan of pairing a fiction and non-fiction but I did change the topic to be about prison..."

Interesting theme, prison life. What non fiction book are you going to read about it?

message 41: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Barbara wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "Very clever to use ToB for #7 and 8 especially since you are reading in order.

I didn't want to veer from my plan of pairing a fiction and non-fiction but I did change the topic ..."

I'm leaning towards American Prison: A Reporter's Undercover Journey into the Business of Punishment but am open to suggestions if you have any!

message 42: by Irene (new)

Irene | 93 comments Barbara wrote: "The next two weeks I am choosing two books regarding the same theme: the Tournament of Books. ..."

That's a great idea, I might steal that. :-)

message 43: by Barbara (last edited Feb 27, 2019 02:28AM) (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments 8. 2 books related to the same topic, genre or theme

The Golden State by Lydia Kiesling

This week I’m going to read my second book from the same theme, the Tournament of Books. The Golden State got mixed reviews (as do so many on the ToB shortlist this year) so I’m curious to find out how I’ll like it!

message 44: by Irene (new)

Irene | 93 comments Barbara wrote: "It is a book full of stories and full of love in my opinion. You'll read it fast since it is hard to stop once you started. I hope you'll get to it soon! "

I really really loved The House of Broken Angels, but I started confusing all the characters when I had put it down a bit too long, so I reread a part of it.

message 45: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments Irene wrote: "Barbara wrote: "It is a book full of stories and full of love in my opinion. You'll read it fast since it is hard to stop once you started. I hope you'll get to it soon! "

I really really loved [b..."

I gets easier when you are a bit futher, I found it a bit confusing as well in the first chapters. I hope you'll end up liking it!

message 46: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments 9. A book from one of the top 5 money making genres (romance/erotica, crime/mystery, religious/inspirational, science fiction/fantasy or horror)

What You Don't Know by JoAnn Chaney

For this week I have chosen my favorite genre of the sive: crime/mystery. This book is supposed to be very good. I certainly hope so since I'm often disappointed after finishing a thriller.
So far I am not that impressed but we'll see!

For the ones who also often end up disappointed in thrillers/mysteries, last week I read The Devotion of Suspect X and it was really, really good and unpredictable!

message 47: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments 10. A book featuring an historical figure

Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell, #2) by Hilary Mantel

Well, this is week 10 and I have been following the prompts in order so far but this one I'm not going to read. Although I want to (I've been meaning to since I read Wolf Hall and since I heard that part 3 in the series will be published this year.
But I do have so many books to read and am just NOT in the mood for a chunkster of historical fiction. So this week I'll pass and hopefully later this year I will read this book!

message 48: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments 11. A book related to one of the 12 Zodiac Chinese Animals (title, cover, subject)

When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman

I am happy to have an excuse to read another Sarah Winman as her Tin Man was one of my favorite books of 2017. I always meant to read more by her and the rabbit in the title fits the prompt perfectly. So after last week's failure I hope to get back on track now with this challenge!

message 49: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments 12. A book about reading, books or an author/writer

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief has been sitting on my shelves for years and I think this is the moment to read it - also because of the Pop Sugar Challenge prompt 'A book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads'. So I am gonna dive in. Somehow it doesn't appeal to me but I've read so many good things about this book that I will probably end up wondering why I didn't read it earlier!

message 50: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 68 comments 13. A book that is included on a New York Public Library Staff Picks list

The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai

I was so happy to find this one on the list, as I've boon looking for a reason to read it for months. Reviews are so good about The Great Believers, so I'll start this one over the weekend.

« previous 1