PenPal Readers discussion

PenPal Corner - Interests > Multi-Language speakers - Connect Here

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments For all you PenPals who love languages, here's a group thread to connect with eachother and make some new PenPal friends based on common interests!

message 2: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) | 10 comments This thread makes me really happy, I'd always thought of languages/learning languages was too weird a hobby to be popular. My first language is English, and the only other language I'm strong enough in to write/speak is German. But I'm also slowly learning Russian.

message 3: by deleted_user (new)

deleted_user (deleteduserbhjk) | 4 comments I love learning new languages, it's just lots of fun to learn multiple foreign languages. English is my fourth language, and I am currently learning Japanese

message 4: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments My first language is Estonian, but I also speak quite fluently English and French. I've also learned Italian (A2), Spanish (A2), Portuguese (B1), Russian (A2) and Japanese (A2). I'm mostly trying to improve my Portuguese and Japanese at the moment, but my language skills in regards to other languages mentioned has become kind of meh :/

Catreads wrote: "I love learning new languages, it's just lots of fun to learn multiple foreign languages. English is my fourth language, and I am currently learning Japanese"

Are you learning independently, in a school or on a website/app? I absolutely love Japanese although it's pretty hard to learn ^^

Adrian wrote: "This thread makes me really happy, I'd always thought of languages/learning languages was too weird a hobby to be popular. My first language is English, and the only other language I'm strong enoug..."

Russian is a wonderful language! I absolutely love listening to it - in Estonia, a little less than half of people are ethnically Russians, so I've had many occasions where I've been approached for directions or other kinds of help in Russian. I always understand what they want but I have so much trouble remembering the right words! How are you learning it?

message 5: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) | 10 comments Catreads wrote: "I love learning new languages, it's just lots of fun to learn multiple foreign languages. English is my fourth language, and I am currently learning Japanese"

What other languages do you speak?

message 6: by deleted_user (new)

deleted_user (deleteduserbhjk) | 4 comments I'm learning it by myself and yes its pretty hard especially memorizing kanji : (

message 7: by deleted_user (new)

deleted_user (deleteduserbhjk) | 4 comments Adrian wrote: "Catreads wrote: "I love learning new languages, it's just lots of fun to learn multiple foreign languages. English is my fourth language, and I am currently learning Japanese"

What other languages..."

Arabic, Hindi, Persian, Urdu, French( just conversational)

message 8: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) | 10 comments Mion wrote: "My first language is Estonian, but I also speak quite fluently English and French. I've also learned Italian (A2), Spanish (A2), Portuguese (B1), Russian (A2) and Japanese (A2). I'm mostly trying t..."

I try to use a mix of resources. For Russian I'm using:

Duolingo

Clozemaster

Russian music in general on Spotify

3ears

And some intensive reading, mostly online articles with plenty of note-taking.

message 9: by Gaijinmama (last edited Dec 30, 2018 08:55PM) (new)

Gaijinmama | 9 comments Hello. Languages have always been my greatest interest as they're the gateway to all kinds of knowledge...and yeah, as mentioned above, a great hobby that allows me to meet new friends from around the world.
I'm from the U.S. and teach English for a living (degrees in language and education, not literature). I speak/read Japanese as I've lived here for more than half of my life. It's nice to run into a few of my fellow Japanese language-learners here....there are thousands of kanji so that learning process is never-ending.
Gambarimasho! (means good luck, but literally let's hang in there and persevere)

I was also a Spanish major back in a previous lifetime and even had to readOne Hundred Years of Solitude in Spanish! Couldn't manage that now, but I can still read/speak at an intermediate level when I have the chance.
I also know a few words of German and Greek because I've traveled there. I clearly have a love of countries with good wine and pastries!

message 10: by Anastasiia (new)

Anastasiia Nesterenko | 9 comments Wow! You people are geniuses! My native languages are Ukrainian and Russian, and I speak English and German as well. Used to learn some Yiddish, too. Became deaf at 22, so I could not learn any new languages further, though I have tried to learn Korean, Chinese or Italian with online courses. They all rely on audio heavily.

message 11: by rat (new)

rat (nikoletag) WOW OKAY I LOVE LANGUAGES A LOT
My mother tongue is greek and I can speak english and french
I'm learning swedish and italian and I know some stuff in german AND I WANT TO LEARN LIKE 12 MORE LANGUAGES

message 12: by Missy (new)

Missy | 6 comments Wow, to know so many languages... good for you guys Haha. I'm currently learning Irish Gaelic, very very slowly. English is my first language but also know a little French (Canadian) from school.

message 13: by Jazzy (last edited Jan 10, 2019 03:09AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments I am Jewish but never learnt much Hebrew, besides a few prayers. When I took my son to Synagogue for the Holy Days, he said, 'It's like being part of a secret society!' and that's what languages always seemed to me, a fascinating secret code that if we could break them then we have succeeded.

I've taken and passed classes in Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Japanese, Sign Language, and Catalan Sign Language (with English interpretations). I've studied French, German, Irish, Scots, Welsh, Polish, Russian, and Hebrew. Probably a few more but I can't remember right now. Michel Thomas is great, and Duolingo was a very handy app. But I learnt more with edx - they have amazing Italian classes, and Future Learn.

When I went to Belgium a few years ago I realised if i had the chance i could actually learn another language if I could stay in the country long enough, but that never happened either!

But since taking up the guitar, i've put most of my time into learning the language of music.

Mion - Oh and I was taking Japanese locally in a very small class from a fluent speaker, those classes were quite good as well. I passed 2 sets but haven't had much chance to use it.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey! I'm 13 and ,y native language is English, learning Spanish and ASL. If you are willing to Practice Spanish with me, please message me. I love meeting new people.

message 15: by Lukutar ☘ (new)

Lukutar ☘ (lukutarbooks) | 2 comments Hello everyone!

My native language is Finnish (and also should be Swedish because Finland is after all a bilingual country but I'm not really great at it (I understand it better than I write or speak, haha.)

I also speak and write English as you can probably see.

I'm currently studying Japanese on level A2. I have also studied French, Spain, little bit Germany in the past (But they are kinda rusty because I have not used them that much.) I'm interested in studying Korean, Latin, Welsh and Gaelic languages in future at some point.

message 16: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Lukutar ☘ wrote: "Hello everyone!

My native language is Finnish (and also should be Swedish because Finland is after all a bilingual country but I'm not really great at it (I understand it better than I write or sp..."

Hello! Nice to meet you! Which language do you like best?

I'm from Estonia, currently living in Japan. I speak Estonian, French, English and Portuguese, but I really should be studying nihongo right now.

message 17: by Barb (new)

Barb (bubasbookshelf) | 1 comments Hi everyone! My native language is Croatian, and is the language in which I prefer reading in. However, I am fluent in English(I study English language and literature) and speak German, although in case of that language I understand more than I can use it in every day communication :-)