What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Sea of Glass
This topic is about Sea of Glass
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Please help me find this book. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cliff (last edited Dec 20, 2018 09:15AM) (new)

Cliff | 2 comments This was a science fiction book I read years ago as a teen or young adult. It would have been in mid to late 80's through early 90's when I read it but I don't know the original publication date. The book is set in the future where population has become a problem. The main character starts out as a young boy born illegally. He is raised in his home by his parents. He looks out the window of his room which is against the rules and a neighbor sees him and turns them in. His parents are executed by slow electrocution and he is sent to a work farm with other illegal children. At the work farm he goes through many hardships but studies something I think that was call probabilities. He learns of a super computer that is guiding mankind towards an eventual war and that this machine is responsible for the laws that killed his parents and the cruel work farm he lives at. Eventually he escapes the work farm and in a twist ends up working for the very same machine. He realized the machine has been guiding his life to literally program him and at the end of the book he is responsible for starting the war that saves the world by reducing the population back to an acceptable number.

message 2: by Mai (last edited Dec 17, 2018 01:12PM) (new)

Mai | 1207 comments Sea of Glass by Barry B. Longyear?
Found via Google search:
A boy, who has known nothing in his brief life but love and darkness, forces open a window and sees for the first time the outside world, which also sees him: an illegal immigrant by birth. Arrested, his parents tortured to death, we see through Thomas Windom's eyes a race preparing to deal with overpopulation in the only manner left.

First published in 1987.

message 3: by Cliff (new)

Cliff | 2 comments Mai wrote: "Sea of Glass by Barry B. Longyear?
Found via Google search:
A boy, who has known nothing in his brief life but love and darkness, forces open a window and sees for the ..."

Thank you! Man I was wracking my brain for that one.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Cliff, please provide plot details (no spoilers) and the genre of the book you’re looking for in the Topic header, not something vague like "Help! can't remember this book".

This will help anyone in the future looking for the same book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sea of Glass (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Barry B. Longyear (other topics)