ReMo - The Official Read More Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives - 2019 > Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 181 comments Mod
Need help finding that next book to read? Here's where you can ask for help!

message 2: by Jane (last edited Jan 06, 2019 05:41PM) (new)

Jane | 20 comments Hannah (or anyone else!), I'm having a hard time picking books (mainly 'cause I don't feel good). I'm considering some from my vintage shelves https://www.goodreads.com/review/list.... But I need something that's gonna grab my interest and be engaging, light, fun or funny, romantic, witty, fast-moving. Any recommendations?? Do you think any of these, below, would fit my mood? (Also, I'm not sure if they're long enough since the digital versions say something like 130 pages and the hard copies say something like 360 pages!?!?!)
The Melting of Molly, Parnassus On Wheels, Kathleen, Old Rose and Silver, Oh Money! Money!, Partners, The Best Man
Edit to add Molly Make-Believe

Also, should we count re-reads for this challenge?

message 3: by Hanna (new)

Hanna | 41 comments You have a few that are on my TBR! I haven't read any of the ones you mentioned, but I suggest you read The Rosary, The Best Man, Oh Money! Money!, or Marcia Schuyler, so you can recommend them to me, or not. ;)

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane | 20 comments Oh, Hanna, I'm such a moody reader, but I'll try to make my mood coincide with one of those books so I can recommend them afterward!!! 😊

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna | 61 comments Hanna wrote: "You have a few that are on my TBR! I haven't read any of the ones you mentioned, but I suggest you read The Rosary, The Best Man, Oh Money! Money!, or [b..."

Marcia Schuyler is one of my favorite GLH books! And The Rosary was also one of my favorite reads from Project Gutenberg. I hope you enjoy either one of them sometime in the future.

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane | 20 comments Thanks, Anna. Marcia Schuyler was the first GLH book I ever bought and I still haven't read it! Maybe this month....!

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) I loved this one:
Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales by Beatrix Potter

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna | 61 comments Jane wrote: "Thanks, Anna. Marcia Schuyler was the first GLH book I ever bought and I still haven't read it! Maybe this month....!"

I'm currently re-reading, for the umpteenth time, a favorite by GLH called the Christmas Bride. Things were so different when she was writing. Her characters have qualities practically unknown in today's world: chivalry, modesty, and humility, to name a few. I liked Marcia Schuyler partly due to the fact that she was an unloved bride. She took her fickle sister's place in the wedding to save the groom's pride (she had been a secret admirer of him for years). He marries but doesn't appreciate her or the sacrifices she makes to make him happy, because he is still focused on her sister. An interesting character is introduced into this series who soon has her own book: Phoebe Dean - and wow, is she a character! I loved her and her wacky ways. I hope you get to enjoy this book soon. I may have to read it again myself!

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane | 20 comments Anna, I recently bought The Christmas Bride and look forward to reading it. So many choices......!

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna | 61 comments Jane wrote: "Anna, I recently bought The Christmas Bride and look forward to reading it. So many choices......!"

Grace's books take me back to a simpler time and lift my spirit. I hope you enjoy the Christmas Bride. My copy comes from the library and it is so old it is literally falling apart. The pages are yellowed and brittle. I wish I could rescue it and keep it!

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Anna, I just read and loved that one. Now you're making me want to pick up Marcia!

Maybe we should do a buddy read of Marcia Schuyler??

Jane, if there are editions with more pages, that's fine. The idea behind the page requirement is that we are reading novels instead of novellas. :)

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna | 61 comments Ooo a buddy read sounds fun.

message 13: by Hanna (new)

Hanna | 41 comments Hannah, I'd like to do a buddy read, except I'm all booked (pun intended?) for at least the end of January. Probably for all of February, too ...

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna | 61 comments I misspoke about the character in Marcia Schuyler who is such a different person. Her name was Miranda Bascom. Marcia Schuyler is the first in a trilogy of books with the same characters - Marcia, Miranda, and Phoebe Dean. Took me a while to come up with the correct names. I remember laughing out loud while reading Phoebe Dean, as Miranda gives a mean fellow his comeuppance. It's time for me to re-read this whole trilogy.

message 15: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn S. | 28 comments I've never even heard of the Christmas Bride, but I should totally find a copy. I *love* G.L.H. I stumbled across her books accidentally at a used bookstore for vintage books -- I actually own about five first edition copies of her works :D

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna | 61 comments Kaitlyn wrote: "I've never even heard of the Christmas Bride, but I should totally find a copy. I *love* G.L.H. I stumbled across her books accidentally at a used bookstore for vintage books -- I actually own abou..."

I'm too old to be envious of you having first editions, but older GLH books are disappearing from our library consortium. Not sure if they are being discarded or stolen or just turned into mush by readers. I think I've read most of her books, but I've discovered that there are some short stories I've never read. Her books are so wholesome, I always feel cleaner after I read one :)

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Anna, I think a lot of them have been discarded. I’ve got quite a number of library discards that are in pretty good shape.

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna | 61 comments Hannah, I'm so glad they've gone to a good home. They are treasures.

message 19: by Hannah (new)

Yes, I definitely am glad to give books like that a good home! :)

All right, y'all...I have listed Marcia Schuyler as the good read for March in my Vintage group, so it would be great if some of you could chime in that month!
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.