THE GOOD LUCK YEAR END READING CHALLENGE OF 2018 discussion

Series Settled

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 18 comments Mod
Post reviews and discuss here when you finish the last book in a series you've been reading.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily | 18 comments Mod
A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3) by V.E. Schwab
I read A Conjuring of Light, book 3 in the Shades of Magic trilogy. This whole series was great. I've read some series this year that fell flat at the end, but this definitely didn't. I loved it all and would highly recommend to fans of fantasy.

message 3: by Ava (new)

Ava | 7 comments I loved the Shades of Magic series. Have you read any other V.E. Schwab? I'm been meaning to pick up another of her books.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 18 comments Mod
Ava wrote: "I loved the Shades of Magic series. Have you read any other V.E. Schwab? I'm been meaning to pick up another of her books."

I haven't! And I really feel like I missed out. Vengeance and Villains look really good.

message 5: by Abby (new)

Abby Taylor | 1 comments I wasn't into a series yet, so I hope it counts to have finished the first book in a series! To All the Boys I Loved Before - what a delightful read. Just a cute, breath of fresh air

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Klawes | 2 comments I read the All for the Game series by Nora Sakavic. This series is catastrophically terrible. It’s about this made up sport called exy which is pretty much indistinguishable from lacrosse. All the characters have these overblown Tragic backstories and the mob is involved and there’s a really ridiculous amount of violence and upsetting content. One of the main characters is for some reason a 20 year old man who is only 5 feet tall? The dialogue is honestly some of the worst I’ve ever read. An absolute train wreck in every way possible but I couldn’t stop reading it. It’s weirdly addicting: At no point did I think it was /good/ but also I never thought about giving up. The series has so many rave reviews that I am so baffled by. I’m giving it (and the rest of the series) two stars instead of one because I was pretty entertained the whole ride.

message 7: by Ava (new)

Ava | 7 comments I didn't have many options on my shelf that would count towards finishing a series, so I decided to read the last three volumes of Letter 44. I had read the first 3 around 2016 when they were published, but hit a slump in the series and had bought but not read the other volumes.

The gist of the series is that when the newly elected President takes office he receives a letter from his predecessor outlining a secret space mission to investigate an alien presence in the asteroid belt. By the last volume, we have discovered why the aliens are here and how humanity and they are responsible. The 5th volume was my favorite. It had a lot of flashbacks to the recruitment of the Clarke crew and the forming of OSCAR (the outer space military branch). The End (Volume 6) was a great conclusion. It addressed the immediate threat and problems, but also reflected on all of the events that lead up to it.

I give the series 4/5 stars and VOL 5 & 6 5/5.

message 8: by Nicole Siobhan (new)

Nicole Siobhan | 3 comments The Stranded

I've been meaning to finish the fifth book, The Stranded, in the Wool series for a long time and finally got around to it! I'm glad I did - it had a pretty satisfying ending.