Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and Readers discussion

48 views
Author Chat! > AMAZON RANDOMLY DELETES REVIEWS?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 79 comments Hi writers!
Many of you have been complaining Amazon randomly deletes reviews. If you’re an author and you want to leave an honest review for another author, even if you have no connection, have never met elsewhere than maybe Goodreads and your review has been deleted, speak up!

I’m here to put an article together based on your experiences (if you allow me, I’ll even quote you in the article).

Another issue I’d like to discuss is how permissive Goodreads as a platform is when people in your circle of authors and friends would like to leave an honest review for your books versus Amazon.

I’m writing an article based on author experience, if you don’t feel comfy making a public post, you can also send me a message in full confidentiality.

Thank you all & happy reading/writing!


message 2: by Shanna (new)

Shanna Swenson (shannaswen) | 20 comments I myself haven’t had my own review deleted but my cousin’s review was deleted from my book page even though I don’t think the review said her name or anything... kinda frustrating since she bought it and should have a right to rate and review her purchase...


message 3: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 79 comments Shanna wrote: "I myself haven’t had my own review deleted but my cousin’s review was deleted from my book page even though I don’t think the review said her name or anything... kinda frustrating since she bought ..."

That's a real shame, I'm sorry! I know Amazon knows if you live in the same building (delivery address) and people sharing a home cannot post any reviews. But that's as far as I go


message 4: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1239 comments Mod
"Another issue I’d like to discuss is how permissive Goodreads as a platform is when people in your circle of authors and friends would like to leave an honest review for your books versus Amazon."

Goodreads is permissive until someone reports and then Goodreads sanctions with a warning that all your reviews will be removed. I was told I could not leave reviews for my son, even though I made sure to state he was my son in the review.
Goodreads also rewards bullying behavior- If you get trolled, they will allow groups of reviewers to attack your book and they will remove your comments if you respond. They don't care if a person abuses the author and when you write to them, they always side with their top reviewers.
I got caught in the crossfire when I tried to calm down something that happened with my son's book. Some of his fans felt the need to support him when he was criticized too harshly (their opinion, not mine).
While they started politely, the response was swift and abrasive. I went on and tried to calm the waters, letting people know that they were entitled to all their opinions. I did not take sides, only wished the name calling to stop. They then trolled my children's books, leaving obscene gifs. They didn't review my books- merely smeared them. Goodreads has still not removed the masochistic looking pirate on my children's book despite all my protests and the fact they never actually read the book.


message 5: by bill (new)

bill (bmorgens) | 38 comments I've had almost 30 reviews deleted. Some of the deletions were legitimate (less that 1/2 dozen) because they were relatives or close friends. Complaining to Amazon is of course a waste. I have heard from other authors who have had this sad experience. Currently "The Crazy Life of Kid From Brooklyn" has 56 mostly 5 star reviews. There is a new revised version, "The Crazy Life of Bill" that hasn't been reviewed as yet.
You can sign up for my monthly newsletter at https://thecrazylifeofbill.com


message 6: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1239 comments Mod
Esther wrote: "Shanna wrote: "I myself haven’t had my own review deleted but my cousin’s review was deleted from my book page even though I don’t think the review said her name or anything... kinda frustrating si..."
If you 'friend' authors Amazon will delete review. I friend all authors and I buy all my books. They deleted everything. I fought and won most of them back, however, they will delete arbitrarily. I had a mailing list of over a thousand people, and most of them have stopped reviewing altogether.


message 7: by Shanna (new)

Shanna Swenson (shannaswen) | 20 comments Esther wrote: "Shanna wrote: "I myself haven’t had my own review deleted but my cousin’s review was deleted from my book page even though I don’t think the review said her name or anything... kinda frustrating si..."

We don't live in the same house or even same town, which is totally understandable if you lived in the same house and all! Carole is right, they see who you are friend's with on FB and delete it because of that reason! But she bought the book and deserves to have an opinion. With us indies, our close relatives and friends are the first to purchase so it makes sense for them to be leery of letting them review our books but still, it's a product they paid for so they should get to review.


message 8: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 79 comments Carole wrote: ""Another issue I’d like to discuss is how permissive Goodreads as a platform is when people in your circle of authors and friends would like to leave an honest review for your books versus Amazon."..."

Unbelievable! But if two profiles are private, how can they possibly know who is friends with who? Do I have your permission to quote you in my article?


message 9: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 79 comments bill wrote: "I've had almost 30 reviews deleted. Some of the deletions were legitimate (less that 1/2 dozen) because they were relatives or close friends. Complaining to Amazon is of course a waste. I have hear..."

I'm so sorry, Bill, maybe we can start a petition or something, because this is getting out of hand! So many authors have legitimate opinions about books they've invested time in, I don't see how that can benefit anyone! Do I have your permission to quote you in my article?


message 10: by bill (new)

bill (bmorgens) | 38 comments Yes. Also if you need copies of some of my correspondence to Amazon email me at bill@frombk.org

Also I could put you in touch with others that have had problems and are looking to see how this can be solved. (including a possible class action suit)


message 11: by Shanna (new)

Shanna Swenson (shannaswen) | 20 comments Esther wrote: "Carole wrote: ""Another issue I’d like to discuss is how permissive Goodreads as a platform is when people in your circle of authors and friends would like to leave an honest review for your books ..."

Actually, I would like to remain anonymous. I'm sorry. I'm just starting on Amazon and don't want to make any waves. Just wanted you to know that it happened to me too, just been on there since September. I didn't even do anything about it because I was warned about it. I know people whose mothers and mother in laws have been able to do reviews so where's the fairness there? At least mine wasn't as closely related to me... Just saying! I think you should be able to review anyone's works... Whether you are an author or friend or relative... It shouldn't matter... you bought the product, you should get an opinion!


message 12: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 79 comments bill wrote: "Yes. Also if you need copies of some of my correspondence to Amazon email me at bill@frombk.org

Also I could put you in touch with others that have had problems and are looking to see how this can..."


Absolutely Bill, I am all in and I'll email you as well! Thank you!


message 13: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 79 comments Shanna wrote: "Esther wrote: "Carole wrote: ""Another issue I’d like to discuss is how permissive Goodreads as a platform is when people in your circle of authors and friends would like to leave an honest review ..."

Absolutely, you have my word.


message 14: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 32 comments I've had one review removed from amazon that I know of. It was disappointing because it was from a stranger who just happened to buy my book, and it was my first review. When I contacted amazon to ask about it, they wouldn't tell me why it was removed or even whether they were the ones who removed it. They basically give you a list of reasons why the review might gone, but they won't tell you specifically why.


message 15: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 79 comments Rhonda wrote: "I've had one review removed from amazon that I know of. It was disappointing because it was from a stranger who just happened to buy my book, and it was my first review. When I contacted amazon to ..."

Only the person whose review was removed can contact Amazon and request a change, unfortunately. I'll make sure to write a complete article on this and let you know the exact guidelines.


message 16: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 32 comments Esther wrote: "I'll make sure to write a complete article on this and let you know the exact guidelines."

I look forward to reading it.


message 17: by Shanna (new)

Shanna Swenson (shannaswen) | 20 comments Esther wrote: "Shanna wrote: "Esther wrote: "Carole wrote: ""Another issue I’d like to discuss is how permissive Goodreads as a platform is when people in your circle of authors and friends would like to leave an..."

Thanks, Esther! I wish you luck! I don't even know that my cousin knows that her review was removed. I didn't make a stink about it but it is still frustrating... Hopefully your article can get some changes made so that we all have an opportunity!


message 18: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 79 comments Shanna wrote: "Esther wrote: "Shanna wrote: "Esther wrote: "Carole wrote: ""Another issue I’d like to discuss is how permissive Goodreads as a platform is when people in your circle of authors and friends would l..."

I doubt that I can teach an old dog new tricks, but I'll certainly make some noise.


message 19: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1239 comments Mod
Esther wrote: "Carole wrote: ""Another issue I’d like to discuss is how permissive Goodreads as a platform is when people in your circle of authors and friends would like to leave an honest review for your books ..."

I would have to see it first.


message 20: by Magnus (new)

Magnus Stanke (magnus_stanke) | 20 comments Hiya
Very interesting subject. I've also had about a dozen and a half reviews for my first book deleted by amazon. I accept that I was to blame for letting my wife (who happens to be my harshest critic) write a review, but not the others. If what you say about amazon checking reviews against facebook friends is correct I would be shocked (perhaps more than I should be). But that would be really stupid. I mean, if somebody likes your books and follows you on facebook, even if they live in the same town you do, why shouldn't they be allowed to review your work? Makes no sense to me.
I write in English but I live in Spain. My local market is therefore very limited and I'd say it's only natural than I personally know some of my readers. How else am I ever going to make a name for myself if I don't try to engange?
Needless to say I have been totally traumatised by the experience. I've stopped advertising and pursuing sales and reviews. Because, as amazon put it, if this happened again they could ban me for good. But how could I stop people from posting reviews? It's become totally absurd, this.
And yes, you can quote me if you like... ;)


message 21: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 79 comments Magnus wrote: "Hiya
Very interesting subject. I've also had about a dozen and a half reviews for my first book deleted by amazon. I accept that I was to blame for letting my wife (who happens to be my harshest cr..."


I'm sorry to hear Magnus! Were the deleted reviews coming from Spain exclusively? Amazon knows if you live together (delivery address), so they have you automatically linked.
Thank you for your permission, and if you don't mind me asking, how's life in Spain?


message 22: by Magnus (new)

Magnus Stanke (magnus_stanke) | 20 comments Hello
life's great - if you're like me, and good weather is more important than many other things... ;)
To answer your question. Only one review of the deleted ones came from my address. Maybe another 3 or 4 might have originated in the same town, but certainly not from people I live with. The remainder were from people in other cities and countries.
So I would have totally understood if they deleted my wife's review (the one I mentioned that came from my address), but not the others...


message 23: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 79 comments Magnus wrote: "Hello
life's great - if you're like me, and good weather is more important than many other things... ;)
To answer your question. Only one review of the deleted ones came from my address. Maybe anot..."


Getting to the bottom of how they do this is very hard. I'm trying to see how they link everything. I'm assuming you knew some of the people who reviewed from different countries?
Do you think maybe the link to purchasing your book was sent via (your personal) email or did they go to Amazon and searched your book by themselves?

PS. I'm also in Spain at the moment, enjoying the lovely weather on the coast :)


message 24: by Magnus (new)

Magnus Stanke (magnus_stanke) | 20 comments You are in Spain? Wow, nice... Where I am it's slightly more chilly than it has been, but the sun's out.

No, I did not know all the people who had reviewed the book. Which is why it felt so kafka'esque, the entire experience, like I was up against impossible odds. And that impression, I hasten to add, was no illusion. A couple of the reviews were from beta readers, but (I don't remember the exact figures) about half were from absolute strangers, friendly folk who had been kind enough to read my book and taken the time to leave a review - author Nirvana, in other words. Like I said, I was traumatised by the whole experience.
Now, the fact that these reviews were positive was the icing on the cake, the dog's private parts, so to speak.


message 25: by Carole (last edited Dec 18, 2018 05:29AM) (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1239 comments Mod
It's the IP address. If you work together or live in an apartment house and the IP address is the same, they delete reviews.
The other reviews may be deleted because they wrote reviews for other people they knew- and you were just a byproduct of that- in other words, caught in the crossfire.
I review most people I meet on the the threads- But I read at least five books a week- a mixture of indie and traditional. I buy all my books- so I am not obligated to anybody. ALL my reviews were shut down. I explained that I was not actual friends with the authors. I may know them through our chats, but I don't shop with them or go to their kid's weddings.

None of these authors know I've bought their book and have never asked for a review. I also refuse anybody who asks for a review- in other words, I review only what I choose. They restored most of my reviews, but not all. I would guess they have some algorithm telling them which are 'legal,' but it's simply a flawed system.
Recently someone at Amazon contacted me and asked if I would honestly review with financial compensation. When I finished laughing, I told them where to put their question- that I would never review for Amazon. I review for me and my following. I don't trust Amazon not to shut me down arbitrarily on their convoluted whims. My guess is that they are having trouble having people leave reviews there. I know most of the reviewers I have built on my list- have disappeared and no longer review.

I have many people who work in my office building. They see the books, have bought them, and Amazon won't publish their reviews because the IP address is the same.

Also, there is something in the links- you have to clean them up- if you are sending buyers to your Amazon page. I'm not sure, but when you send the link- you're supposed to edit it so it doesn't look like it's author driven.


message 26: by Carole (last edited Dec 18, 2018 05:29AM) (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1239 comments Mod
Magnus wrote: "You are in Spain? Wow, nice... Where I am it's slightly more chilly than it has been, but the sun's out.

No, I did not know all the people who had reviewed the book. Which is why it felt so kafka'..."


I know exactly how you feel, Magnus. It's disheartening. I have slowed most of our publicity, too. Not everything, but a lot. Try writing posts on Medium and see if you can pick up some followers there. It is working for many of us, I think. It puts you out there for people to 'meet' you and 'try out' your writing. Check out DJ, Dale, Alex, Sam, Carmel, Alyssa, and Erica's posts on Medium. They write about everything, and when people applaud, you make some extra cash.
More importantly than it, it's a global audience, and if you build a following, it's free.


message 27: by Magnus (new)

Magnus Stanke (magnus_stanke) | 20 comments you're right, Carole, I should reach out in different ways, and medium, what I picked up from reading the threads here on goodreads seems like the place to go. One for my New Year's Resolution list, perhaps. Thanks for the tip


message 28: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1239 comments Mod
Share when you post so we can help you build your audience.


message 29: by Magnus (new)

Magnus Stanke (magnus_stanke) | 20 comments Carole wrote: "Share when you post so we can help you build your audience."

thanks, will do - and share your work and that of the others, too. It's understood :)


message 30: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1239 comments Mod
Exactly!


message 31: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 79 comments Carole wrote: "It's the IP address. If you work together or live in an apartment house and the IP address is the same, they delete reviews.
The other reviews may be deleted because they wrote reviews for other p..."


I am both appalled and fascinated by how they're playing the Hunger Games with authors!


message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris Wright (author_chris_g_wright) | 6 comments I cannot fathom the extent of this problem. It infuriates me how Amazon just decide to cut reviews and hold their heads up high. But, then again, that's what happens when you've nearly monopolized the book market: you can do whatever you like.

I've noticed about 4 reviews on my amazon.co.uk book page getting wiped, then another 3 from my .com page. And 2 of these, if I remember correctly, were verified purchases. And it's not like I had dozens of reviews.

The final straw for me was when someone slated my book and left 1* just after reading a couple of pages of the online preview, then judged the entire book. People are entitled to their opinion, so I brushed it off. But, at the time, I decided to contact Amazon and request their reasoning on how they can remove a verified purchase review (FYI: the people who left the review weren't family but work colleagues) and yet allow a review from somebody who hasn't read it. What I got was a subtle threat about how I'm not allowed to get friends and family to leave reviews (even though they weren't) and that continuing to do so would lead to my book being taken down. Then I kicked back a bit more. Needless to say, it didn't lead anywhere. Shortly after, they deleted another verified purchase that was live for about a day.

It’s the main reason I haven’t gone down the Kindle Unlimited path. Why give Amazon greater authority over your book?


message 33: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 79 comments Chris wrote: "I cannot fathom the extent of this problem. It infuriates me how Amazon just decide to cut reviews and hold their heads up high. But, then again, that's what happens when you've nearly monopolized ..."

It's like "they see you when you're sleeping, they know when you're awake" situation. I'm so sorry that happened to you. Do I have your permission to quote you in my article?
Also, what are the other options for publishing in terms of platforms? Barnes & Noble, LuLu, IngramSpark?


message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris Wright (author_chris_g_wright) | 6 comments Smashwords and Draft2Digital will distribute to most retailers. The latter is user-friendly and more modern, whereas Smashwords is still stuck in the late 90s, so, in terms of usability, it's not great, but still gets the job done. I'm sort of in the transition from Smashwords to Draft2Digital at the moment.

Then you have IngramSpark, Lulu and B&N. Don't know much about those platforms, though. Don't want to paint a drab picture, but, no matter where you publish, Amazon is still #1, and most authors make their revenue through them; self-pub authors, especially, since it's hard (if not impossible) to sell to brick and mortar bookstores.

You can quote me in your article, yes.


message 35: by bill (new)

bill (bmorgens) | 38 comments Chris wrote: "I cannot fathom the extent of this problem. It infuriates me how Amazon just decide to cut reviews and hold their heads up high. But, then again, that's what happens when you've nearly monopolized ..."
Chris,
You are so right. Yes stay away from KDP unlimited. I've had a couple of 1 star reviews (of course Amazon never eliminates those). I didn't expect everyone to love my book (most do) but upon further research I also found that they only read a few pages.


message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica O'Toole (jayotee) | 3 comments Just wanted to add to this discussion, that if you have an author account on here linked with your Amazon/Facebook/other account (i.e. the "quick login" option) probably unlink it now. Amazon likes to use its algorithms to seek out connections on Goodreads (because it owns Goodreads), and therefore extended to Facebook etc. For example it's possible for them to see if you've asked for reviews on this site, and therefore Amazon goes down the route of removing these reviews.

It is entirely immoral, but not illegal. I do wonder if they scour the Big Five and check all their employees and family when they get a major release out and delete all those reviews that come pouring in on release date? Doubt it.

I would suggest if you have a dual account with Amazon/Goodreads, to unlink it (separate your Facebook/Amazon or other login to instead use your email address, or ideally an email address you don't use for Amazon). It's one less way for Amazon to prevent you building your platform and deleting your essential way in doing so.

I think we all need to remember Amazon is not there to help us (and nor is any other platform). They are a corporation first and foremost, and we need to get very savvy about how they deal with making the most profit. It is very hard to get ahead of the curve because they change things on a whim. We can't change it, we just need to keep on top of things. But nobody ever said being an Indie writer was easy, eh?


message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris Wright (author_chris_g_wright) | 6 comments Jessica wrote: "Just wanted to add to this discussion, that if you have an author account on here linked with your Amazon/Facebook/other account (i.e. the "quick login" option) probably unlink it now. Amazon likes..."

That's a good idea, Jessica.


message 38: by Carole (last edited Dec 19, 2018 06:41AM) (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1239 comments Mod
While I think it's a good idea, Jessica, I will think I will allow my account to remain entwined. I think the 'Zon has access to lots of things, and one thing I've noticed, if they decide you are guilty of something- they shut the author down- lock, stock and barrel. I've known three authors completely shut down without explanation, and no recourse to fight. In other words, if they decide you are guilty- there's no due process when the judge is Amazon.
I'm going for total transparency, though I think it's not fair. But then, in Indieworld not much is fair.


message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica O'Toole (jayotee) | 3 comments Carole wrote: "While I think it's a good idea, Jessica, I will think I will allow my account to remain entwined. I think the 'Zon has access to lots of things, and one thing I've noticed, if they decide you are g..."

Unfortunately it's not just Amazon that is playing autocrat with writers' (and other creatives) work and livelihoods. The big crowdfunding sites and money-transfer sites likes Patreon and Paypal are also taking this path in complete opposition to their own codes of conduct. To be fair to Amazon, they haven't been as authoritarian as these others as yet, Patreon and Paypal have frozen creatives income for next to no reason, and that is not what should really be expected in a presumably free society. And it is getting worse, not better, and this is a big issue. The fact that it can just be accepted as Amazon being Amazon without argument is frightening. Competition is not fair, of course, it's a cattle market, for Indies or otherwise, but abiding by laws set out to protect individual's data is absolutely intended to create fairness, and no matter how big your company the intention is that it is non-negotiable.

Though I understand that companies are sometimes umbrella (such as Goodreads with Amazon), and therefore data can be passed between their various offshoots, I personally don't agree with allowing any third-party company to delve into my data from other sites in the way Amazon does, hence why I have individual accounts for everything. This does mean (and recent lawsuits attest) that Amazon, Facebook, and Google are all complicit in sharing user data between themselves (that is unconnected companies), which is, certainly in parts of Europe where I am, actually against the law.

As I said, I believe it to be entirely immoral. I have the same loyalty to Amazon as it does to me. That is zero. I also don't believe it is anything to do with transparency on the user's part, because I am not bound to be transparent to them in regards to any other site or service I use; I don't work for them, I use their distribution services for which they are compensated. They, however, are legally bound to remain transparent in their terms, and when it comes to privacy policies. When distributors can just shut down authors for no reason then that's not particularly transparent of them, but it is terribly Orwellian.

This is just my advice, and my intention wasn't pushing people in a direction they don't want to go, I still believe in liberty. However, it is important to understand where these giant companies who hold such monopolies are coming from with their intentions, and I wouldn't take my eyes off what they're doing for a second.


message 40: by Carole (last edited Dec 19, 2018 04:00PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1239 comments Mod
It does feel Orwellian, and I will add, it does feel frightening. I agree with the concept that you are using them for their distribution services and they are merely a vendor providing a service.
This is an open forum and all points of view are welcome. I know you were not pushing people to do things they don't want to do. That's what I love about our forums- more voices, more choices. Not everybody can make the same choices, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't hear about them and perhaps consider what is the best move.
I hope there is a day of reckoning for the conglomerates.
I have benefited from the wide variety of opinions on this forum. I hope people continue to contribute and share their ideas.


message 41: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 79 comments Jessica wrote: "Just wanted to add to this discussion, that if you have an author account on here linked with your Amazon/Facebook/other account (i.e. the "quick login" option) probably unlink it now. Amazon likes..."

Thanks for the valuable input, Jessica. Mind if I quote you in my article?
Did you experience the same horror with reviews on Goodreads?


message 42: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 79 comments Magnus wrote: "Hello
life's great - if you're like me, and good weather is more important than many other things... ;)
To answer your question. Only one review of the deleted ones came from my address. Maybe anot..."


Also, Magnus, did you experience the same harshness review-wise on Goodreads?


message 43: by Magnus (new)

Magnus Stanke (magnus_stanke) | 20 comments no, not at all. I think all the reviewers who double posted here and on amazon are still here, so that's a relief at least. Only the reviews that were amazon-only are gone. When I say only those, I should say "only"..... :(


message 44: by C. (new)

C. Gold | 62 comments So far I've only lost one review and that was by a person who copies and pastes the same review into loads of books per day. Like 20 reviews in a day and for a questionable number of books per week to where I'm not sure if that person is really reading everything. It could be this person is a speed reader, but I'd imagine the activity flagged the bots for review removal. I hated losing the five star review, but the content of the review didn't add anything useful for discerning readers, so I didn't whimper too much. Another review vanished but ultimately came back.

I used a different email for Facebook than I did for Amazon and I've never hooked up GoodReads to my Facebook. I'm trying to keep things as separate as possible. Not because I'm trying to violate the terms, but because I don't feel their idea of 'friend links' is my idea of 'friends'. Until they can separate fans from friends, we'll have this review removal problem.

The big question is: How well do you need to know a person before them leaving a review is too biased and how can an algorithm accurately measure that?

Now here is the creepy stalker article a friend sent me about how, despite your privacy settings, Facebook has allegedly been selling your friends data behind the scenes to corporations like Amazon:
https://gizmodo.com/amazon-and-facebo...

Food for thought...


message 45: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 79 comments C. wrote: "So far I've only lost one review and that was by a person who copies and pastes the same review into loads of books per day. Like 20 reviews in a day and for a questionable number of books per week..."

On one hand, fingers crossed you only lost one!
I've read the article you sent and it's indeed shocking, the more I find out, the more I wonder how is this possibly happening right under our noses??

Given all this evidence, what motivates writers to sell their books only through Amazon?

Thank you so much for your input!


message 46: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1239 comments Mod
Amazon is easy. When we started the idea of just pressing a button and being published was a no-brainer.
We have since learned the value of buying an ISBN, other outlets like Smashwords, Draft2Digital, and Ingram. That all comes from talking to other people on the threads.
In the beginning, we sold upwards of six figures with fewer books and being exclusive to Kindle. We toyed with moving to the other sites but the idea of having to pay for ISBN's for multiple titles and losing all the accumulated reviews was frightening. We didn't seek out the new venues until we were actually forced by dwindling sales when Amazon went to the new page reads model.


message 47: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 79 comments Hi everyone, the article is now ready and you can see it here: https://estherrabbit.com/is-amazon-ra...

I'd like to wish everyone a merry Xmas and thank you so much for reaching out!


message 48: by bill (new)

bill (bmorgens) | 38 comments Robots have no brains or common sense so Amazon in the interest of fairness should realize that many who follow an author of social media do so because they Read and Liked the author's book.

Wake up and be fair to your customers (and that includes authors) Amazon!


message 49: by Chris (new)

Chris Wright (author_chris_g_wright) | 6 comments Great article. Well done!

And Merry Xmas!


message 50: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1239 comments Mod
Great article. Esther!!


« previous 1
back to top

99123

Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and...

unread topics | mark unread