Readers & Writers discussion

Marketing & Publishing Tricks > AMAZON RANDOMLY DELETES REVIEWS

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 47 comments Hi writers!
Many of you have been complaining Amazon randomly deletes reviews. If you’re an author and you want to leave an honest review for another author, even if you have no connection, have never met elsewhere than maybe Goodreads and your review has been deleted, speak up!

I’m here to put an article together based on your experiences (if you allow me, I’ll even quote you in the article).

Another issue I’d like to discuss is how permissive Goodreads as a platform is when people in your circle of authors and friends would like to leave an honest review for your books versus Amazon.

I’m writing an article based on author experience, if you don’t feel comfy making a public post, you can also send me a message in full confidentiality.

Thank you all & happy reading/writing!

message 2: by Trish (last edited Dec 17, 2018 09:16AM) (new)

Trish R. | 21 comments Amazon does all kinds of ridiculous shit. About 2 years they sent me a letter telling me I could no longer leave feedback or reviews on anything and they erased everything I had ever reviewed. That included over 1000 books I had reviewed. I wrote to them and I called for weeks and all they ever said was I didn't adhere to their guidelines. No reason ever given. I even wrote to Jeff Bezos but since he's worth over 70 BILLION dollars what the hell does he care about his company screwing over one customer. However, that doesn't stop me from spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars at Amazon every year. I've now read over 1900 books and every one of them came from Amazon, for my Kindle.

message 3: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 47 comments Esther wrote: "Hi writers!
Many of you have been complaining Amazon randomly deletes reviews. If you’re an author and you want to leave an honest review for another author, even if you have no connection, have n..."

That's preposterous! Can't believe my eyes! Any hint as to why?
Do I have your permission to quote you in my article, Trish?

message 4: by Trish (new)

Trish R. | 21 comments Esther wrote: "Esther wrote: "Hi writers!
Many of you have been complaining Amazon randomly deletes reviews. If you’re an author and you want to leave an honest review for another author, even if you have no con..."

Never got a reason from anyone. No returned calls and the guideline infraction was the only thing said in emails. After several months I just gave up.

Several days ago I saw, on youtube, two different people who said they had been kicked off of Amazon completely for returning things they'd bought. The one guy said he wrote or called Amazon and promised never to return anything again if they would just let him have his account back. They did let him have it back. I don't know about the woman. Crazy, huh?

And, no, I don't mind if you use my name in a quote, but just my first name. I don't want Amazon throwing me off completely. I do hate the way they do business though. If you're going to be punished at least give the reason why.

message 5: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 47 comments Trish wrote: "Esther wrote: "Esther wrote: "Hi writers!
Many of you have been complaining Amazon randomly deletes reviews. If you’re an author and you want to leave an honest review for another author, even if ..."

No problem, Trish. Reading all this is making me very angry, I hope we can find a way to deal with it.

message 6: by Andres (new)

Andres Mann | 8 comments Amazon has systematically deleted reviews on my books. The refuse to state a reason, but I suspect that the consistent 5-star ratings from readers are the culprit. So much for doing a good job.

message 7: by Trish (new)

Trish R. | 21 comments Andres wrote: "Amazon has systematically deleted reviews on my books. The refuse to state a reason, but I suspect that the consistent 5-star ratings from readers are the culprit. So much for doing a good job."

I'm sure it had something to do with their "guidelines" but they won't tell you what it is you've done. They're good at that. AND since Amazon owns Goodreads too we'd really better watch what we say here, too. LOL

message 8: by Andres (new)

Andres Mann | 8 comments I guess it's a sign of the times. Who needs the first Amendment anyway? LOL

message 9: by Trish (new)

Trish R. | 21 comments As the Amazon discussion board reminded me "it has nothing to do with rights." Amazon allows you the "privilege" of reviewing something and they can take that "privilege" away at the drop-of-a-hat with no reason whatsoever given.

message 10: by Assaph (new)

Assaph Mehr | 7 comments This is nothing new, and - more importantly - nothing to get worked up about:

https://egretia.com/2018/09/12/the-my...

message 11: by Trish (new)

Trish R. | 21 comments Assaph wrote: "This is nothing new, and - more importantly - nothing to get worked up about:

https://egretia.com/2018/09/12/the-my..."

If I had gotten worked up I would have stopped shopping at Amazon completely but it ended up NOT being worth more gray hair. Besides I can review my books on Goodreads so it's no big deal.

message 12: by Assaph (new)

Assaph Mehr | 7 comments Trish wrote: "If I had gotten worked up I would have stopped shopping at Amazon completely but it ended up NOT being worth more gray hair. Besides I can review my books on Goodreads so it's no big deal. "

I had something similar (Amazon removing all my reviews and blocking me from reviewing again - even though I was a Top-500 reviewer). A call to their support restored my rights, but not my reviews.

Like you said - I have enough good reasons for grey hairs, so I'm not looking for more :D

message 13: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 47 comments Andres wrote: "Amazon has systematically deleted reviews on my books. The refuse to state a reason, but I suspect that the consistent 5-star ratings from readers are the culprit. So much for doing a good job."

I'm so sorry Andres! How is the situation now? Are you satisfied with the reviews the amount of reviews you have?

How about Goodreads and reviews?
And, am I allowed to quote you in my article?

message 14: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 47 comments Assaph wrote: "Trish wrote: "If I had gotten worked up I would have stopped shopping at Amazon completely but it ended up NOT being worth more gray hair. Besides I can review my books on Goodreads so it's no big ..."

People have always complained that top reviewers have privileges, but you just proved it's not the case. Can I quote you in my article?

Did you experience the same issues on Goodreads?

message 15: by Angela (last edited Dec 20, 2018 05:18AM) (new)

Angela Auten | 12 comments That's why I don't buy anything from Amazon. If I'm going to review something. I'm going to review it on Goodreads, Barnes and Noble, or eBay. Amazon is not the best company.

message 16: by Andres (new)

Andres Mann | 8 comments Esther wrote: "Andres wrote: "Amazon has systematically deleted reviews on my books. The refuse to state a reason, but I suspect that the consistent 5-star ratings from readers are the culprit. So much for doing ..."

The situation is worse. I got personal e-mails from fans wondering why their reviews are not posted by Amazon. This is a peculiar problem with my translated books sold in Italy as well.

message 17: by Andres (new)

Andres Mann | 8 comments Esther wrote: "Andres wrote: "Amazon has systematically deleted reviews on my books. The refuse to state a reason, but I suspect that the consistent 5-star ratings from readers are the culprit. So much for doing ..."

Yes, quote me if you wish.

message 18: by Trish (new)

Trish R. | 21 comments Esther wrote: "Assaph wrote: "Trish wrote: "If I had gotten worked up I would have stopped shopping at Amazon completely but it ended up NOT being worth more gray hair. Besides I can review my books on Goodreads ..."

I've never had any kind of problems on here and if I had I really wouldn't care anymore. I have 1010 reviews and if I couldn't write another I wouldn't give a shit. The reviews are one person's opinion.

message 19: by Trish (new)

Trish R. | 21 comments Angela wrote: "That's why I don't buy anything from Amazon. If I'm going to review something. I'm going to review it on Goodreads, Barnes and Noble, or eBay. Amazon is not the best company."

I would beg to differ with you, Angela. Amazon's Prime is amazing. No one else can guarantee delivery in 2 days. And their customer service is the best I've ever dealt with, as is Audible's. If they don't want to let me do reviews I don't really care. I will stick with Goodreads for that. I don't know anything about B&N. And as for eBay, hardly anyone leaves a review on anything they buy. They leave the seller feedback but hardly ever a review.

message 20: by Assaph (new)

Assaph Mehr | 7 comments Esther wrote: "People have always complained that top reviewers have privileges, but you just proved it's not the case. Can I quote you in my article?"

Feel free to quote me, and to link to my first article.

As for Goodreads, I haven't seen them remove reviews. (Which may or may not be an issue in itself. No system is perfect.)

message 21: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 12 comments Trish wrote: "Angela wrote: "That's why I don't buy anything from Amazon. If I'm going to review something. I'm going to review it on Goodreads, Barnes and Noble, or eBay. Amazon is not the best company."

I wou..."

You can disagree all you want, but you can't change my opinion. Barnes and Noble is 100% better. Even their publisher is better.

message 22: by Trish (new)

Trish R. | 21 comments Angela wrote: "Trish wrote: "Angela wrote: "That's why I don't buy anything from Amazon. If I'm going to review something. I'm going to review it on Goodreads, Barnes and Noble, or eBay. Amazon is not the best co..."

Whatever makes you happy, Angela, makes me happy.

message 23: by Esther (new)

Esther Rabbit | 47 comments Hi everyone, the article is now ready and you can see it here: https://estherrabbit.com/is-amazon-ra...

I'd like to wish everyone a merry Xmas and thank you so much for reaching out!