Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > gauging interest- Movie of the month

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
would you folks be interested in an informal movie of the month, ideally book adaptations, but some concession made for general fantasy themes?

ie- one person nominates and as long as there is one second, we can put it on the list. then a thread opens at the beginning of the month, and we can discuss general stuff like how much we liked it, differences from the book, dream casting, etc etc etc

Also we will be doing a Game of Thrones after show special thread yet again, as that was very popular and entertaining (YAY APRIL IS COMING!!)

message 2: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Count me in for that I love this kind of stuff so I can go on for a bit with it

message 3: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7667 comments I'd try to join in with this. Sounds like fun. :)

message 4: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1817 comments I might be interested.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 681 comments Ooh I might be interested in this, sounds fun

message 6: by Saskia (new)

Saskia | 4 comments Me too! That sounds very interesting

message 7: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1817 comments Margret wrote: "would you folks be interested in an informal movie of the month, ideally book adaptations, but some concession made for general fantasy themes?

ie- one person nominates and as long as there is one..."

My wife and I are trying to figure out when to begin our Game of Thrones rewatch binge to lead up to the final season....we'd watch probably a max of an episode a day, so 70 episodes...probably asap :)

message 8: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15721 comments I remember the GOT ASS thread in my notification feed, when I first joined the group ;)

message 9: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3500 comments I'd be interested in a MoTM.

message 10: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Lol the convo in the GoT ASS thread was way better and in depth than any I had with anyone in real life

message 11: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4612 comments Mod
Dang...I just remembered that I promised my fiancee I'd wait until his military service is done to watch GoT together...I'm going to have to wait until October to watch season 8. What have I done.

message 12: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Movie of the month sounds fun. Maybe we could have everyone nominate stuff and then make a poll where we can vote for our favourite?

message 13: by Rob (last edited Dec 20, 2018 08:58AM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1817 comments Jenna wrote: "Dang...I just remembered that I promised my fiancee I'd wait until his military service is done to watch GoT together...I'm going to have to wait until October to watch season 8. What have I done."

Highly recommend rescinding that promise or just really working on your acting skills while he is away and your ability to act surprised when you "watch it for the first time" with him ;)

I frequently watch it twice, depending on whether or not my wife is awake enough to watch it the premiere date. But she knows I'm watching it twice in that situation, I just shut up on rewatch :)

message 14: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2144 comments I could watch a movie a month.

message 15: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Nice to see a few people interested so I assume this will Star next month then?

message 16: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1817 comments Does it have to be fantasy/sci-fi? For example, I read Gone Girl years ago and really liked it. One of those movies I have on the movie server that I've filed under "watch with wife" that never happens. I think that moratorium is about up.

message 17: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4612 comments Mod
Rob wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Dang...I just remembered that I promised my fiancee I'd wait until his military service is done to watch GoT together...I'm going to have to wait until October to watch season 8. What..."

I don't like lying, but I think you might be right. ;)

message 18: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7223 comments Mod
There’s an app I haven’t used yet called... rabbit? Something like that. Anyway, apparently you can watch movies through it while on video/audio chat with a group of people. Could fun...

message 19: by Rob (last edited Dec 20, 2018 09:05PM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1817 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "There’s an app I haven’t used yet called... rabbit? Something like that. Anyway, apparently you can watch movies through it while on video/audio chat with a group of people. Could fun..."

ooh - cool! - found it - Rabbit

Oh and I agree to lie to your partner is not something I recommend or practice, but...then AGOT! :)

Technically you could watch it with him via Rabbit, but doubt the time would sync up. Apparently, the way it might work - one person logs into their account where the item is streaming and then invites everyone with a rabbit account to the private showing and we can all chat.

It feels....a wee bit sketchy, but they apparently swear each private room is secure.*shrug*

message 20: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Oh, the app looks really interesting! :)

message 21: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

ok I'll set up a nom thread