Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick 'n' Mix (2019) > Challenge Instructions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by PAS, Moderator AC (last edited Sep 23, 2019 10:23PM) (new)

PAS (Mods) (pasmods) | 576 comments Mod
description

A. Introduction

Inspired by the original Pick 'N' Mix lollies, of course! Definitely applicable to reading challenges too ;)

Official Start date of this challenge is January 1, 2019. Challenge will run up to December 31, 2019.

B. Goals

All participants will pick their own goals.

You may wish to nominate:
1. a percentage (between 5-10 inclusive) of total pages read last year (2018)*
OR
2. a number of pages

Minimum of 1,000 pages applies.

*For instructions, go here

This goal will be per Stage and will be a static number. That is, if you've picked 10% or 5,000 pages as your goal, it'll be 10% or 5,000 pages per Stage and you cannot change this goal when the challenge has begun.

C. Stages

There are 15 Stages available though we may not necessarily unlock all of them by end of challenge period.

Each stage will have a theme. For each theme, participants can pick 'n' mix their own tasks BUT there is a limit depending on the size of their goals:

Goal: up to 1,000 pages
Tasks: up to 3

Goal: up to 3,500 pages
Tasks: up to 5

Goal: up to 7,000 pages
Tasks: up to 8

Goal: up to 10,000 pages
Tasks: up to 11

Goal: 10,000++ pages
Tasks: up to 15

You may change your tasks throughout the challenge as you wish until you've completed that Stage. Once, you've completed a Stage, you cannot change tasks and/or move books around

Stage 1:Genre Shelves
Stage 2: (non-genre) Shelves
Stage 3: Publication
Stage 4: Listopias
Stage 5: Award Winning
Stage 6: DIY
Stage 7: Friends' Shelves
Stage 8: Settings (location)
Stage 9: Settings (time)
Stage 10: Authors
Stage 11: Titles
Stage 12: Own TBR
Stage 13: Covers
Stage 14: Series
Stage 15: Protagonists

There will be a random drawing for what Stage to be first unlocked to start the challenge

D. Unlocking Stages

To unlock a Stage (for everyone), One (1) participant will have to achieve their goal for the latest unlocked Stage (ie. if latest unlocked Stage is Stage 10 then you will have to meet your goal for Stage 10 to unlock a Stage, etc).

You may pick which Stage # to be unlocked and they do not have to be in order. For example, if you've met your goal for Stage #4, you do not have to unlock Stage #5 (unless you want to), you could unlock #10 or #2 or whichever Stage is still locked at the time.

Each participant can only unlock a maximum of 2 Stages (but not subsequently). That is, you cannot unlock your second stage if you've unlocked the most recent stage (being your first).

D. Bonuses

There are 2 ways that you can earn bonuses:

1. Out of the Zone: +10% page numbers
You are encouraged to set a personal goal for 2019. This goal must be set at the beginning of the challenge (if you wish to, at any time of the year, take advantage of this bonus) and cannot be changed. It must be a tailored approach for your reading direction in 2019. This is not about your tbr but about your reading life.

Some examples;
*Reading POC authors (or be more specific & pick Asian American, African American, etc)
*POC protagonists
*LGBTQ protagonists and/or authors
*Translated works
*Poetry
etc

For each book that fits with your goal, you will receive 10% pages bonus.
For example, if book read has 300 pages, you may claim 330 pages to count towards your total page goal.

2. Off the Shelf: unlock a Stage
You are encouraged to participate in the Monthly Shelf. By reading a book for the monthly shelf in the month it is picked and posting what you've read in the appropriate thread, you will receive 1 point.

Collect 12 points and you may unlock a Stage (without having to complete any Stage).
Please post in the Completion thread to claim with links to your 12 "books read" posts.

NOTE: Bonus book will have to fit in with the task you've picked 'n' mixed. That is, it's not a separate challenge or book to be read outside of the Pick 'N' Mix but rather it must be incorporated into your tasks.

E. Completion

There is no limitation on planning and you may complete any Stage in any order you like.

To claim Completion, please post in the Completed Stage(s) thread.

Please note in your completion post, any bonuses you've scored.

F. Housekeeping

1. Books per Stage must be read after that Stage is unlocked (ie. no backdating of books read to fit tasks)

2. Each book read can only be claimed once throughout the challenge (ie. no crossover between Stages)

3. There is no page limit for books read but note that with thicker books, the less number of books you will have to read to meet your goal.

4. Use the page numbers of edition you are reading in calculating your progress. If you listened to an audiobook, we will look at the most popular edition (whatever that is) for the page numbers. If there isn't a page number for that edition, we will use the next one down on the list and so on.

5. There will be planning threads set up for each Stage. Please post your plan/s in the correct thread.

6. For certain rules applicable only per stages (if any), please refer to that particular stage's thread.

message 2: by PAS, Moderator AC (new)

reserved

message 3: by PAS, Moderator AC (new)

***STAGE UNLOCK***

Random drawing has picked Stage 11: Titles

You may find the thread for planning, here

message 4: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 2954 comments This challenge sounds like fun :)

message 5: by PAS, Moderator AC (last edited Dec 17, 2018 02:50PM) (new)

I sure hope it will be lots of fun, Lusie :D

~Tien

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (suz_lopez) | 3 comments This sounds like lots of fun and will be a great way to read out of my normal genres. I'm a little confused as to how it works with the tasks, stages, and extra pages, etc. But I'm going to do my best to follow along! :)

message 7: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8467 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge, Suzanne.

Not to worry, it's always a bit hard to start a new challenge but it'll make sense sooner or later. But feel free to ask for help, if you need it :)

message 8: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (suz_lopez) | 3 comments Tien wrote: "Welcome to the challenge, Suzanne.

Not to worry, it's always a bit hard to start a new challenge but it'll make sense sooner or later. But feel free to ask for help, if you need it :)"

Thank you Tien!

message 9: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 369 comments Suzanne wrote: "This sounds like lots of fun and will be a great way to read out of my normal genres. I'm a little confused as to how it works with the tasks, stages, and extra pages, etc. But I'm going to do my b..."

Suzanne, I was a bit confused too about the number of tasks, but looking at other people's plans, I worked out that we are allowed to repeat individual tasks. Seems like we can learn from the old hands.

message 10: by Karin (last edited Dec 25, 2018 11:00AM) (new)

Karin | 797 comments Okay, this might work with my Rebellious Reading 2019 (should have thought of this on pbt, but will add it!)

I will print all of these rules and figure it out when I feel like it (see what I mean about rebellious???)

QUESTION Out of Zone--need more help as I don't have much out of my zone that isn't stuff I won't ever read again (erotica, for eg, which I stumbled up one once or twice in my youth, but not on my parents' shelves).

So, how flexible is this? Can it be something I've read before (genre, etc) but don't normally read? Could it be something I read to help my dyslexic son that I go into knowing I'll hate it?

message 11: by Tien (new)

I don't think there's much to the rules especially if you don't care about unlocking Stages. All you need to worry about it setting up your goal per Stage (page numbers, 1K min) & related number of tasks you can use per Stage (determined by your pages goal).

Re: Out of Zone
This is not really genre related though it could be, if you want it to. It's more about the direction you'd like your reading to go next year. I see PBT has this culture challenge thing, you could use that for your Out of Zone if you like. Or it could be something completely generic like 'reading translated books'.

This is very flexible and completely up to you.

Karin wrote: "Could it be something I read to help my dyslexic son that I go into knowing I'll hate it? " - this could work too...

message 12: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 369 comments I have to admit I didn't interpret "Out of the Zone" as meaning "out of my normal reading comfort zone".

I took it more as "in addition to the requirements of the tasks in each Stage".

So I have got an OOTZ that is related to my ongoing longterm reading goals, rather than anything new that I don't already read.

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 156 comments Lagullande wrote: "I have to admit I didn't interpret "Out of the Zone" as meaning "out of my normal reading comfort zone".

So I have..."

I did too - and one of the things that has been bugging me is all the books that I've accumulated and not read! After all, there's always a shiny new object, right? So I made my OOTZ to read books that I already own but have not read yet.

message 14: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 1156 comments Okay, it took me reading things a couple of times to realize that the limit on # of tasks doesn't equal number of books! Being limited to 5 tasks doesn't mean I'm limited to hitting my page goal in only 5 books. Shew! That had me worried at first.... Feeling much better now.

message 15: by Karin (new)

Karin | 797 comments Lagullande wrote: "I have to admit I didn't interpret "Out of the Zone" as meaning "out of my normal reading comfort zone".

So I have..."

I love it. And I have one, since I'm reading an 8 book series that fit it (out of my comfort zone) and it fits for one of the title challenges.

But the hardest part is the page count. What if I read a few pages over?

message 16: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4422 comments Mod
Karin wrote: "Lagullande wrote: "I have to admit I didn't interpret "Out of the Zone" as meaning "out of my normal reading comfort zone".

I took it more as "in addition to the requirements of the tasks in each..."

I don't think reading "a few pages over" is a problem as it would be hard to hit the page count exactly. But, if it was lots of pages over, the book might fit another stage once it was opened.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3410 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "I don't think reading "a few pages over" is a problem as it would be hard to hit the page count exactly. But, if it was lots of pages over, the book might fit another stage once it was opened. ."

Bea,
I'm totally confused about what you and Karin are talking about here. Can you explain more? There's never a problem with reading more than the number of pages required, right?

message 18: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4422 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "Bea wrote: "I don't think reading "a few pages over" is a problem as it would be hard to hit the page count exactly. But, if it was lots of pages over, the book might fit another stage once it was ..."

Susan, I think Karin wants to do a series...and was wondering about reading more than her goal of pages. I suggested that any book going past her goal (the whole book) could be applied to another stage.

message 19: by Karin (new)

Karin | 797 comments Bea wrote: "Susan wrote: "Bea wrote: "I don't think reading "a few pages over" is a problem as it would be hard to hit the page count exactly. But, if it was lots of pages over, the book might fit another stag..."

Yes, I agree, and thanks for this advice--I am just concerned because I have to read the books AFTER something is unlocked and I can't have these audiobooks out forever :). This series won't make me go too high as the books are all under 200 pages and I want to pace myself for the entire challenge. I am going to figure out how many pages they add up to, add in the print books I have that will fit and then set a page limit that is doable because I have all year to finish this one. I read over 40K pages per year, but want to pace myself in case I get into a reading slump.

message 20: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 369 comments 1. Books per Stage must be read after that Stage is unlocked (ie. no backdating of books read to fit tasks)

Does "must be read after that Stage is unlocked" mean

(a) started after (ie no part of the book was read before the unlocking date)
(b) finished after (ie could have been started before the unlocking date)
(c) something else?

message 21: by Tien (new)

ooh I like multiple choice!

a) startes after

message 22: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 156 comments And, I assume that now that stage 6 is unlocked, we can use any book we read now on either 6 or 11? So we can work on both at the same time (I know, different books)?

message 23: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 369 comments Tien wrote: "ooh I like multiple choice!

a) startes after"

Hee hee! Thanks, Tien.

message 24: by Tien (new)

Sandy wrote: "And, I assume that now that stage 6 is unlocked, we can use any book we read now on either 6 or 11? So we can work on both at the same time (I know, different books)?"

Yes. Just like how we did Wheel of Bookshelves.

message 25: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 156 comments Tien wrote: "Sandy wrote: "And, I assume that now that stage 6 is unlocked, we can use any book we read now on either 6 or 11? So we can work on both at the same time (I know, different books)?"

Yes. Just like..."

super - thanks, Tien.

message 26: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 271 comments I have a question about the page goals and the tasks options. If I'm reading 5000 pages, I can only use up to 5 tasks, correct? I'm assuming I have to try to read for 7000 pages to be able to use 8 tasks?

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments Up to 7000 (from 3500); you get 8 tasks

message 28: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 271 comments Dee wrote: "Up to 7000 (from 3500); you get 8 tasks"

Nice! Thanks, that will help. :)

message 29: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 811 comments I have a question ... if I have 4 tasks, do I have to read at least one book in all 4 tasks to complete the stage, plus hitting the page goal, or do I just have to hit the page goal?

message 30: by Tien (new)

You just have to reach the page goals.

So even if you started planning with 4 tasks but have only read for 1 task in reaching page goal, that's fine.

message 31: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 268 comments Question regarding this statement: Books per Stage must be read after that Stage is unlocked (ie. no backdating of books read to fit tasks)

I just updated stage 11 and the last book I used for that stage was finished on 1/16. Can I use any books started on or after 1/10 for stage 6 that were not used for stage 11?

message 32: by Tien (new)

Amanda A wrote: "I just updated stage 11 and the last book I used for that stage was finished on 1/16. Can I use any books started on or after 1/10 for stage 6 that were not used for stage 11?"

Noting Stage 6 was unlocked on 1/10, yes!

message 33: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments I have to say that I LOVE the complete flexibly of this challenge!! Thank you to whomever came up with this idea!

message 34: by Tien (new)

You're welcome!!

We're progressing towards more flexibility as I'm finding that I don't really want to be boxed in too much in my reading challenges anymore lol

message 35: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 2954 comments lol Tien. I love that I can read anything I want and create a challenge for it. I wanted to read more for fun so this challenge suits me very well

message 36: by Rosemary (last edited Mar 09, 2019 01:27PM) (new)

Rosemary | 811 comments A question ... do we have to finish all the previous stages to unlock a stage? Or could I drop everything and rush to finish stage 2 right now so I could unlock the next one, even though I've only finished one of the earlier stages?

(This is not likely to happen, because I'm too focused on doing things in the right order, lol ... I just wondered)

message 37: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 603 comments I don't think you have to complete the previous tasks, Rosemary.

message 38: by Tien (new)

hey Rosemary, it's not necessary for you to complete other Stages to complete 1 to unlock another.... hope that makes sense.

message 39: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 2954 comments I just finished Pretty Little Things and wanted to use it for this challenge but could not find the numer of pages anywhere. Does this mean I can't use it? On my ereader it is 334 pages.

message 40: by Tien (new)

hey Lusie, one of the librarians can help you. I'm a librarian too but am just about to head out. If no one else is around to help you, I'll see to it when I get home :)

message 41: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments I can add the page count but even the amazon listing didn’t have pages - ugh

message 42: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 603 comments They don't even have it on the publisher's website either!

message 43: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 2954 comments yes that was y problem too! Ican't find a pagenumber anywhere.

Thanks for looking into it for me, Tien, Dee and Sassafrass

message 44: by Tien (new)

I found page number to be 384.

worldcat
publisher

I'll update the book page :)

message 45: by Lusie (last edited Mar 17, 2019 06:02AM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 2954 comments Thank you very much, Tien!

message 46: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 369 comments Tien, can we include books that don't have a print edition? I just finished listening to The Second World War: Milestones to Disaster, which is listed as 602 pages, but there doesn't seem to be a paper edition so I don't know where that figure has come from.

message 47: by Tien (new)

Lagullande wrote: "Tien, can we include books that don't have a print edition? I just finished listening to The Second World War: Milestones to Disaster, which is listed as 602 pages, but there doesn'..."

yep, that's fine. we don't have restrictions about physical vs. digital.

message 48: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 369 comments Tien wrote: "Lagullande wrote: "Tien, can we include books that don't have a print edition? I just finished listening to The Second World War: Milestones to Disaster, which is listed as 602 page..."

Thank you.

message 49: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments are we doing this again in 2020?

message 50: by Tien (new)

Nope... another goodie is being put together now :)

« previous 1