Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Core (The Demon Cycle, #5)
This topic is about The Core
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Core [Mar 15, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod

message 2: by Soo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments Anyone reading this? I started today.

Anni | 5020 comments We delayed the BR to wait for the second group to catch up :)

message 4: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1913 comments Well feel free to relay your thoughts Soo. We'll jump back in later.

message 5: by Siobhan (last edited Jun 07, 2020 01:03PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Hey guys! Just realised I finally caught up and forgot to let you all know.
When would you like to start The Core? :) I'm free anytime from about 15th. Edit: and after!

message 6: by Rob (last edited Jun 07, 2020 07:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1913 comments ooh....hmmm. I'm scheduled to read the new Suzanne Collins then. Maybe later in the month like the 20th? (hunger games books don't take long....usually).

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Yeah sure, no hurry! Just saying I'm free any time after that :)

See what Anni and Shannon are like too.

Anni | 5020 comments 20th sounds good to me :) I'm in no hurry tho, if another date works better for anyone.

message 9: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1913 comments I finished two books in the past couple of days. So I'm game to start this at any time.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I can also start any time :)

Shannon | 101 comments Sounds good! I'll jump in and start too! :)

I keep forgetting to switch to the new book discussion. I'm still hanging out in The Skull Throne thread, lol!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I'm glad Rob thought of leaving a message for you in the last thread!! :)

Anni are you ok to start soon?

message 13: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1913 comments My library opens next week for pickups on the 6th. I had a put a request for the Core in just before we got locked down in mid-march and I can see that it is still sitting in the library waiting for me :)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Rob wrote: "My library opens next week for pickups on the 6th. I had a put a request for the Core in just before we got locked down in mid-march and I can see that it is still sitting in the library waiting fo..."

If you want to start on the 6th then that's totally fine by me!

Shannon | 101 comments The 6th works for me too! :)

I'm glad Rob left a message too, Siobhan! I'd like to think I would have picked up on it eventually, but there's really no telling, lol. :)

message 16: by Anni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I'm struggling a bit right now, but I'll somehow make it 😅

message 17: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1913 comments Thanks for waiting! This is a crazy week for me. I have two-night meetings this week. One where I'm just assisting other people in my department and then running my own. So lots of prep to do!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments We can take it slow, Anni :) I'll be reading a few books at the same time.

No problem at all, Rob! Hope your meetings go well.

Shannon | 101 comments I'll have to take it slow as well. We'll get it finished though eventually! :)

message 20: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1913 comments One meeting down, one to go :)

Shannon | 101 comments Woohoo, Rob! :)

message 22: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1913 comments Have any of you started? Upon going to the library on Monday I quickly found out I had to have an appointment and I won't be able to pick up my copy until tomorrow. Not that it matters, I've made a lot of progress towards finishing the Licanius trilogy in the meantime.

message 23: by Anni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I started it yesterday :) I'm around 8% I think and I'm still trying to figure out what to think of the story 😅

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I haven't started yet, had a slumpy week so I'm a bit behind. Will start soon as I can.

Shannon | 101 comments I'm slowly listening to it. I'm on chapter 7, I think. So far I'm liking it! Curious to see what you all think! :)

message 26: by Anni (last edited Jul 11, 2020 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Just finished Chapter 5... (view spoiler)

Haha sorry, I guess my update evolved to a little rant :D

Shannon | 101 comments I know what you mean, Sir Anni!

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1913 comments I just finally got my copy yesterday. I may be playing catchup. thank god for spoiler tags :)

Shannon | 101 comments Glad you got your copy, Rob! It's going to take me forever to listen to this massive thing, so I'm sure everyone will have plenty of time to catch up. :)

message 30: by Anni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I'm not that fast eigher, I'm sure you'll be able to catch up in no time. I'm relly curious what you think!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I started! Chapter 1 - (view spoiler)

Shannon | 101 comments Yay, Siobhan! :)

I felt the same way you did when I first started! (view spoiler)

message 33: by Anni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I think you're right Shannon, later on she told Amanvah (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Ahh yeah you're right guys, that makes sense!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Just finished Chapter 5... ."

Hahaha! (view spoiler)

message 36: by Anni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I finished Chapter 24... just want to be done 🙈 It gets better, but I'm still not satisfied. There are a few storylines now. And to me they somehow feel like stories on their own, but on the same topic, somehow glued together to get a super long book and drag out the ending...

message 37: by Rob (last edited Jul 16, 2020 06:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1913 comments On the other end of the spectrum I finally just got started, through chapter 1 and (view spoiler) Scribd finally released this as an audiobook so I'll be reading and audio booking to catch up. Previous installments I felt needed.....trimming and this is quite the paperweight, so I'm not sensing the editing I desire :)

Catherine (volitional) | 7 comments omggg scared the baby is gona have sex parties???
wow. k I get some of the comments about the warded children scenes...buuut let's get real here. it was one scene. Meant to shock and really drive home the idea of these kids getting drunk on power.
I am a huge fan of these books. Just finished my 4th reread of the series, and I am still just blown away.
The decent into the core is one of the best 'moments' in the book, and the ending was perfect for this series. There is no other way he could end it. His story goes full circle. Everything led up to that moment. And it was perfect - in all its agony.

message 39: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1913 comments glad you really liked it Catherine, that encourages me to dig in and read on. .. Up to chapter 3 now and am glad everyone is bonding strongly with Olive. Guess I have some "interesting" scenes coming up.

Catherine (volitional) | 7 comments You do!!!!!! I am so excited for you. I remember feeling like I was so close to the end. How could he possibly wrap this up. How could he possibly give us a worthy ending???? Then he just wraps it up soo beautifully that you're just like of course. Of course! how else could you have ended this?!

message 41: by Anni (last edited Jul 16, 2020 08:40AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Catherine wrote: "omggg scared the baby is gona have sex parties???
wow. k I get some of the comments about the warded children scenes...buuut let's get real here. it was one scene. Meant to shock and really drive h..."

I was talking about the sequel, where "the baby" will be around 16 years old. I'm not saying you shouldn't like it, I'm glad you did, I'm afraid it just isn't my cup of tea...

message 42: by Anni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Siobhan wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Just finished Chapter 5... ."

Hahaha! I somewhat agree with you, I'm wondering where the plot and momentum has gone!

I just read Mayim's review and she describes very well what's bothering me...

message 43: by Anni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Rob wrote: "glad you really liked it Catherine, that encourages me to dig in and read on. .. Up to chapter 3 now and am glad everyone is bonding strongly with Olive. Guess I have some "interesting" scenes comi..."

You're doing great Rob! :) The audio also helps me a lot to make progress.

Catherine (volitional) | 7 comments Oh no!! I totally get what you meant lol :) It is a very divided book. A very much love it or hate it. I find myself getting defensive, I just fell so inlove with his characters and his world. The underlying religious conflict throughout the whole book just really spoke to me. I am also a morbid soul. I love a good villain. I liked how fucked up some things got. This was a harsh ugly unforgiving world...but there was also beauty and salvation at the core ;)

Shannon | 101 comments I'm listening to this one on Scribd as well. Almost done with chapter 19. I find myself getting sucked back into the story pretty easily, and there is so much that I still love about it. I still get annoyed by things, but overall I really enjoy the world he's created.

I have no idea how this is all going to end! (view spoiler)

Catherine (volitional) | 7 comments I will never be over Rojers death!

Shannon | 101 comments Catherine wrote: "I will never be over Rojers death!"

Yeah, Catherine, it was pretty sad!

message 48: by Rob (last edited Jul 25, 2020 06:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1913 comments I'm up to Chapter 29. Overall, I'm pretty into the novel and am merrily overlooking the fact it took 400 pages to really start advancing the plot at all. Everything felt necessary and tying up loose ends for even bit-player characters.

(view spoiler)

It is a bit refreshing to have a book where all things are revealed and advanced more in the moment as opposed to mostly received through data dumps and intricate reveals of the Licanius trilogy. So i guess I'm enjoying this series more that, but feel like Licanius is more deserving a reread just to try and unravel all its intricacies. (I doubt I'll ever do it though - I'm far more likely to do reread Sanderson and Martin).

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I'm still reading Rob, I'm about 40% through, not sure what chapter I'm at. I'm enjoying it though despite the slow start. :) I'm hoping to finish this by the end of the month, wish me luck! 😅

message 50: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1913 comments Heh, good luck. I've had a lot of time to read/listen lately (wife had to go for a procedure and they wouldn't let me into the outpatient/waiting room/or go back with her until it was all over), So I ended up driving around town listening on audiobook or sitting in a park reading while drinking my coffee on Thursday.

« previous 1