Play Book Tag discussion

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
This topic is about The Hunger Games
Archive: Other Books > The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 3228 comments The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - 4.5 stars

Survivor meets Brave, except it is life or death for the participants. This is another book that has been on my radar due to the cultural phenomenon surrounding it. Katniss, a sixteen-year-old young woman is competing for her life against 23 others. I am sure I don’t need to include a full plot summary as I’m one of the stragglers that just hasn’t gotten around to reading it before now.

The author drew me right in. The writing is straight-forward, the plot is compelling, and the primary characters are well developed and complex. Themes include identity, trust, power, and the impact of social hierarchies. I would have liked more background on the reasons this society has formed in this manner and the revolt that has resulted in the annual Hunger Games competition, but perhaps this information is more fully developed in the sequels.

I can see why this book is so popular and now understand its appeal. I usually don’t read books in a series, but I may make an exception in this case. Even though it is classified as young adult, I think adults will enjoy it too. I found it well-executed and extremely entertaining. Highly recommended for fans of science fiction dystopian novels.

Link to my GR review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

annapi | 4916 comments I thoroughly enjoyed this series when it first came out, and the movies as well.

Joy D | 3228 comments I managed to remain unspoiled for the book, and I haven't seen the movies, but perhaps I should.

Susie | 4488 comments I loved this series. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Joy D | 3228 comments Susie wrote: "I loved this series. I’m glad you enjoyed it."

Thanks, Susie, I will probably read the 2nd book in 2019.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I enjoyed this series so much. Glad you like it.