Audiobooks discussion

Non-Audible Sources > Effect of renewing an audiobook with library

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by IvanOpinion (last edited Dec 15, 2018 06:42AM) (new)

IvanOpinion | 63 comments Does anyone know what are the typical terms and conditions for libraries in relation to renewing an audiobook?

I don't usually have to renew audiobooks, because I mainly borrow on BorrowBox, which has an initial loan period of 3 weeks and I get through most books in less than a week. But as many books on this service have a waiting list, I reserve them according to when it says they will be available, timing them so that they ought to become available roughly spread out by a week. But that sometimes gets foiled because sometimes it announces that the book is available early and the 3 week clock starts ticking. Occasionally, this means I get a glut all at once and can't finish one of the books in time, so I need to renew it.

This makes me curious about the effect of renewing. Specifically:

1 Does the licence allow a set number of borrows and if so, does a renewal count as a second loan? Or is a renewal included "free" (to the library) with the original loan? I've always felt I should try not to do a renewal, to save money for the library, but perhaps I'm wrong.

2 If I renew, does this mean the next person in line has to wait longer before they can borrow the book? I have never noticed a scheduled date for one of my reservations being delayed, which suggests that the book becomes available for the next person at the end of the initial borrowing period, regardless of whether it has been renewed, so effectively two people can have the same book at the same time.

Perhaps this varies depending on the service the library uses: Overdrive, RBDigital, BorrowBox, Hoopla, etc? For instance, I think I've read that some services only allow a renewal if the book has not been reserved by anyone else. That would suggest that a renewal is treated as an extra loan and that two people can't have the same "copy" of the book at the same time.

But BorrowBox always allows renewals (even though I often know the book is reserved, because it isn't "available" for several weeks or even months).

message 2: by Faith (new)

Faith | 389 comments I belong to several libraries. In each case, books can be renewed only if no one else has a hold on the book.

message 3: by IvanOpinion (last edited Dec 15, 2018 07:15AM) (new)

IvanOpinion | 63 comments So, in cases where a renewal is allowed, presumably that counts as another loan?