2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
This topic is about Ready Player One
ARCHIVE 2019 > Ready Player One: General Discussion *Spoiler Free*

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Dec 24, 2018 01:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4596 comments This month we will be reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

In the year 2045, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

oshizu will lead the group discussion, thank you!

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments This is such a déjà-vu. I kept looking at the post like like "uhm... haven't we already read this this year?" and then I realized it's set for 2019 :D

message 3: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4596 comments Lisa wrote: "This is such a déjà-vu. I kept looking at the post like like "uhm... haven't we already read this this year?" and then I realized it's set for 2019 :D"

Lol that happens sometimes ^^

message 4: by Hope (new) - added it

Hope | 95 comments I got an Amazon gift card for Xmas so I bought a copy. Can't wait to get it and start reading!

message 5: by Ilona, Global Moderator (last edited Dec 26, 2018 03:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ilona | 3987 comments I just finished reading and enjoyed it a lot. I can recommend it to everyone, also people who never game, like me :)

Kelly | 564 comments I have ordered a copy from the Library so I can join this challenge. Not a book that on first glance I would choose but the reviews look great!

message 7: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim | 9 comments Looking forward to reading this book. I am not a gamer, so I probably would not have picked this up on my own; however, it sounds interesting.

Lisa Heineman | 14 comments I read this book during a vacation trip to a lake cabin last summer. I thought it was a GREAT vacation read - quick and easy to read and not too heavy. I saw the movie earlier in the year, and there were enough differences between the two that I didn't feel like there was too much repetition. You are in for a nice treat to start off the new year - enjoy it!!!

message 9: by Shatina (new) - added it

Shatina | 34 comments Kelly wrote: "I have ordered a copy from the Library so I can join this challenge. Not a book that on first glance I would choose but the reviews look great!"

Same, I picked up a copy at my local library. Will start come January 1st.

message 10: by Lei (last edited Jan 01, 2019 09:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lei (wfsm) | 192 comments Just finish it, it's awesome. Even I could only understand about 20% of the easter eggs(for a man lives in China, born at 80's, that's many).
I watched the movie, it's a Spielberg's version, very different, but also very cool, love the final battle.

Kelly Eldredge (goodreadscomkelly_jo_eldredge) | 2 comments Just started reading this book. I love it! Lots of interesting things to ponder, and the 80s references are awesome.

message 12: by Sung Choi (new)

Sung Choi | 1 comments Just joined the group and was able to borrow this book from my local library. So excited!

Heather Dufield | 82 comments I'm about 5 chapters in. All the 80's references makes me want to binge out and watch a bunch of those movies from that era. Not really a gamer, but I've been playing pokemon go for a while. So I get having an avatar of yourself that doesn't really look like yourself. No one knows what you look like, you can be who ever you want.

Cathie (catitude) | 23 comments I loved this book; it's one of my all time favourites! I've read it twice and probably won't be reading it again right now but I'm always interested in hearing what others say about this book.

The 80s references and the video games geek in me loved that I could identify with most things. I loved the adventure of the story as well.

Kristy Johnston | 275 comments I read this book last January and it was one of my favorites for 2018. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did. I wasn't much of a gamer either but I'm child of the 80s so all the cultural references (especially the music) were fun and made me quite nostalgic.

Elayne Nelson | 10 comments I'm a huge gamer. I saw the movie but my husband told me the book is better. I'm excited to read it. It's been on my to-read list for awhile.

Kathy I read this book and LOVED it. Loved all the 80s references and explaining them to my teen son who read the book with me. The movie was good, but the book was way better. Enjoy and happy reading!

Mehmet Ali Ertürk (merturk) | 18 comments I'm at chapter 9, the OASIS concept is so close to Second Life.

Cathie (catitude) | 23 comments Mehmet Ali wrote: "I'm at chapter 9, the OASIS concept is so close to Second Life."

It's about as close a comparison as we have, but the OASIS is so much more :-) Enjoy the adventure Mehmet!

Andre Van Vuuren | 2 comments Just finished this today. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it but it was a fantastic read! Even if you did not enjoy the movie (like me), give the book a go. Great recommendation for the group read for January!

Cassie | 339 comments I just finished last night. I enjoyed this book far more than I thought I would! I was born at the end of the 80s so I don't remember any of it, but I was raised on the music and movies. Not a huge gamer either, but I spent a decent amount of my childhood playing arcade games at the local pizza places!

I liked the concept of the book as well. Coming from a generation / time where I grew up largely without technology in my hand to someone who uses a smart phone for virtually everything, it was interesting to imagine how many more changes we will see in 10-20 years. The changes in the last 20-25 that I remember have been huge.

Overall, this was a great start to my reading goal this year!

Thida (madyjune) | 6 comments I read it last year but I'm going to read it again now.

Danielle | 8 comments Andre wrote: "Just finished this today. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it but it was a fantastic read! Even if you did not enjoy the movie (like me), give the book a go. Great recommendation for the group read for ..."

I did not see the movie and I have no desire to see it! Think it would be almost impossible to pull off a movie on this without making it seem contrived... and the book did not feel contrived at all!

Danielle | 8 comments This is a book I NEVER would have read without the nomination here... but I'm so glad that I did! Thank you for expanding my mind with an amazing read! (On a side note, one of the elements of this book even made it into my dream! That's how I know a book is really sticking with me!!)

Danielle | 8 comments Danielle wrote: "This is a book I NEVER would have read without the nomination here... but I'm so glad that I did! Thank you for expanding my mind with an amazing read! (On a side note, one of the elements of this ..."

Also, the themes were amazing and so on point! The lure of escapism, the dangers of corporate greed... it was all there! I would go on, but...spoilers. ;)

Angela Jr. Danielle, the movie is very very different from the book. It's a good movie on its own, but as an adaptation it kinda sucks. They kept the basic premise of the story, but changed a lot of the plot.

Cassie | 339 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Danielle, the movie is very very different from the book. It's a good movie on its own, but as an adaptation it kinda sucks. They kept the basic premise of the story, but changed a lot of the plot."

I was afraid they would do that. I figured it might be the case, simply based on the cover of the movie. I will likely watch it anyway, because I enjoy comparing books to movies. If anything, maybe it will make me appreciate the book even more!

message 28: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John (kingslayer1983) | 5 comments I loved this book! Best sci-fi I’ve probably ever read 🤷‍♂️. 1984 was also good as is red rising but this trumps them both IMO!

message 29: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Mcclelland | 1 comments I started this book last night and I can’t put it down!! It is not a book I would normally read but I am so glad I picked it up!! Can’t wait to see how it ends. Thanks for the recommendation

message 30: by M.E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M.E. Golesworthy (30smeg) | 16 comments Starting this one a bit late but I'm going to try to do every group read this year. I might have to up my 24 books to 36. It's a challenge right :) xx

Carol-Anne | 7 comments I am brand new to Goodreads and this is my first group read - only started last night so looking forward to seeing how this works!

Cathie (catitude) | 23 comments Carol-Anne wrote: "I am brand new to Goodreads and this is my first group read - only started last night so looking forward to seeing how this works!"

Welcome to GoodReads Carol-Anne! :-) I remember with smiles my first read and how excited I was to be a part of a group reading the same thing I was. Hope you continue to love every moment, as I have :-)

Heather Dufield | 82 comments Finished this yesterday. It was the first book in a long time for that that I actually missed sleep, because after saying I'm going to bed after this chapter I found myself starting another chapter. I wouldn't of picked this book out for myself to read, but since it was a group monthly read I gave it a shot and I'm glad that I did.

There was a section when Wade was comparing his help desk job as a prison. Working in a call center I feel the same way too sometimes, but I would think that the oasis is kind of a prison too, because it seems to suck up a lot of everyone's time.

message 34: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John (kingslayer1983) | 5 comments Great book! We already have VR so something like this I could see in the not so distant future.

Carol-Anne | 7 comments Just finished it and I am so surprised that I really enjoyed it - its not at all what I would read normally! I may be disappointed but away to watch the film now.

Cassie | 339 comments I watched the movie last night.

I hated it. Every single part of it. In my opinion, it had zero redeeming qualities as far as the book goes. I spent the entire movie angrily yelling at it, saying "that's not what happened!!!" or "that's not even in the book!!!" The main actor was all wrong, and I didn't like Arty's character either. The only character that was somewhat how I imagined was Nolan Sorento. And MAYBE a little bit of Halliday.

I'm glad I read the book FIRST because I might not have ever read it if I saw the movie first.

/End rant :)

Craig | 826 comments I've had this on my bookshelves for ages so glad to finally be reading it.

message 38: by B (new) - rated it 5 stars

B | 5 comments I usually don't go with audiobooks, but I thought listening during my commute would be a perfect way to give them a whirl. This one is being read by Wil Wheaton, and he's done such a great job! Def recommend it!

Danielle Carrico | 40 comments Wowowowowow. I gave this 5 stars because it literally kept me hooked from page 1. If I didn't have a job and responsibilities, I probably would have tried to tackle this baby in one sitting. I haven't seen the movie yet, but it is next on my list (maybe I'll make the hubs watch it tonight after dinner).

I was so impressed that I actually starting googling the author to find a complete list of works and was shocked to see that there's only 2! I loved his writing style and how the book was put together in general. Armada is now on my to-read list!

Mehmet Ali Ertürk (merturk) | 18 comments I've finished the book, it was an excellent journey to OASIS. I hope author has future plans for OASIS.

Also, thanks for choosing the book for the challenge, I'm expecting the upcoming months would be as good as this one.

message 41: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I read this last year and had a lot of fun reading it. I loved the couple of surprises in the book. It was a fun read. I grew up in the 80's and enjoyed all of the references.

I saw the movie. Of course the book was better but I saw it in the movie theater with my daughter and it was a fun movie to watch on the big screen.

Fiona | 157 comments Ive just finished reading this book. Totally loved it! It had me gripped from start to finish! I loved all the references to 80s films, music etc, and the video games of course! Tried to watch the film afterwards and totally hated it! My imagination is better! Why didnt they follow the story? It was so spoiled! It ought to be brilliant with the book as good as it is! I do hope he writes more...this was brilliant! 5 stars from me!

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Like lots of the other readers, I liked this book. Although I am not a gamer now, I used to play some video games and even knew how to finish packman without ever losing a life (to the frustration of all kids who wanted to play but had to wait a very long time :)).
Also, the music, movies and books rung a bell every now and then. And the story being really good (IMHO) kept me hooked. Super!!!

I won't check the movie though. Usually, it doesn't fit the images I made myself (with exceptions for "the name of the rose", Harry Potter, the lord of the rings, and the Cadfael television series)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ready Player One (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ernest Cline (other topics)