Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Geist (Book of the Order, #1)
This topic is about Geist
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Geist [Apr 10, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4424 comments Mod
Geist - Philippa Ballantine.
April 10th.

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments In!

message 3: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7046 comments Mod
I might give this another go

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments My April is stacked. Will prob have to read this very slow in order to finish my BIG books(Malazan, WOT, Wars of L&S)!

🙄🙄🙄

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments Attention!

Geist is only $0.99 today on Kindle US!

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Why didn't I see this earlier? I'd be up for a re-read of this - are you going to read the whole series?

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments Shaitarn, no clue who set this up!
But I do know I may be interested in I really enjoy this one, plus the books are rather short!

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Well, this first one will be a re-read, but I never got around to finishing the others, so it'd be nice to finally read them all!

message 9: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments Whoa I actually have this book. Let's see if I could squeeze it in.

message 10: by jess (last edited Apr 07, 2019 02:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments Started this today. Find it strange that in Ch 1 (view spoiler)

message 11: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments End of Ch 1.

Did I just get thrown into the middle of a book?!

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments I just started and I am having a tough time getting oriented as well...

message 13: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

I read the first half a couple years ago with a book club, and we all felt totally lost at first. It’s so odd.

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments So, just finished Ch. 4 and things are starting to come together, but the author obviously wants us to put the puzzle together piece by piece. It is kind of unusual for books like that to start with (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Ch. 4.. (view spoiler) 😶😶😶

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Really tempted.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 995 comments I'll probably start later today

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments I don't trust this calm and collected chick...

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments oh what the heck, I am jumping on this wagon and starting tonight

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I like the opening! I don’t mind when an author kicks me into the depths. I love the mc being not in her teens and in an emotional tangle. Hate the (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments I also love that she is in her thirties 🙂. Even Merrick is growing on me...

message 22: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments Her marital status and age as well as experience as a Deacon IS very different from other YA novels. Wait, is this YA or no? I thoght that was the case but all these factors point towards adult.

Hm. As much as I try not to “classify” books, Im finding it hard to place this one.

message 23: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

I believe based on the publisher and the mass market format that it’s an adult novel.

I want to jump on this train too, clearly haha. Trying to find time...

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I reached chapter 4 and I really like it so far. I hope she has in store even more exciting things.

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments It is adult for sure and very different from what we have been reading as of late... Ch. 12... I (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I keep thinking that if Sabriel grew up a little bit jaded, overworked and overstressed, had a marriage misfire on her and developed a cynical streak, she would be just like Deacon Sorcha.

This scene when she lights her cigarette from a glowing gauntlet was pure gold. I really like how she is developed. Strong but not so controlled. Abrupt, a little bit brusque. Lacking diplomatic skills. Driven by obligations even if it costs her her heart.

I read in other reviews that people dislike the book because they do not believe the protagonists to be sound enough. I do not have a feeling that characterisation suffers because the book is short. To the contrary, these small snippets are very nicely positioned to cast light on various whys and hows and other personal aspects.

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments I like her, I have issues with the pacing a little bit... It seems like we get to an intense episode and then there is a lul... But so far, I am not dissatisfied at all. I am fascinated by the world, although they do seem to get easily smitten 😋

message 28: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments Mayim wrote: "I like the opening! I don’t mind when an author kicks me into the depths. I love the mc being not in her teens and in an emotional tangle. Hate the [spoilers removed]"

This is very good to hear. I am sooo over teenaged MC.

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Starting now!

message 30: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments I’m about 20% in and really liking this book, regardless of how short thai book is. I really enjoyed Ch 5 (Raed’s viewpoint)! Interested to learn more about this weird situation on the water.

Shaitarn | 1865 comments 2 chapters in and I'm enjoying it so far. I really like that we have an older, imperfect MC as well. That line about (view spoiler)

Interesting hints about the sort of world/technology level we're in with references to dirigibles and cigars.

message 32: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments If I start reading this on the 26th will it still be considered as Buddy Read? And eligible for points for the team challenge?

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I have finished. Pleasant and fast. Solid 3 stars.

PS Silvana, no idea, I am not participating this year.

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Silvana, hell yeah it would! Just add it and don't worry about it 😊

message 35: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments Im over here just worrying how I will fit the remaining 4 books into my schedule! Thankfully these are so short!

message 36: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments Choko wrote: "Silvana, hell yeah it would! Just add it and don't worry about it 😊"

Okie dok! Might even start two days earlier, depending on how fast I could finish Circe.

message 37: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments Tried the first thirty pages. Too many intermittent info dumps for my liking.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments The world is complex and the magic system even more so, and so these pay off very shortly.

Shaitarn | 1865 comments It's odd, I like this book but I'm finding it really hard to pick it up and make any headway through it - usually I'd have finished a book this short by now, but I'm not even halfway through yet (I seem to recall last time I read a huge chunk when I'd missed my train and had an hour wait at the station).

I shall press on and hope I can get through the rest more quickly - I have BRs backing up!

message 40: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments I really like this book but it is my “second” book as my primary is WOT #10. Is it the only book you’re reading Shaitarn???

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Jess wrote: "I really like this book but it is my “second” book as my primary is WOT #10. Is it the only book you’re reading Shaitarn???"

At the moment, yes. Admittedly, it is Camp Nano month, so I'm devoting a lot of time to writing, but... *shrug* I don't know.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Sometimes this happens as a by blow of the book's "geist" so to speak. I always lower my rating then, not much, by half star, just to mark this impediment.

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Mayim wrote: "Sometimes this happens as a by blow of the book's "geist" so to speak. I always lower my rating then, not much, by half star, just to mark this impediment."

Yeah, I think I might drop my rating to 3.5 (rounded up, so makes no difference really). But I will finish this book today if it kills me!

message 44: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments I just read Ch 10’s romantic “tussle”

(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments No, I think the fact that she is (view spoiler) is the key factor here.

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Mayim wrote: "No, I think the fact that she is [spoilers removed] is the key factor here."

I agree; (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments So for me that was one of the main reasons for the 3 stars (not 4). I cannot speak from experience as for some strange reason, Mr de Vries is madly in love with me and he's been my one and only but it struck me as cowardly and immature (and so opposite to what Sorcha normally is) (view spoiler)

message 48: by jess (last edited Apr 15, 2019 09:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments Mayim wrote: "So for me that was one of the main reasons for the 3 stars (not 4). I cannot speak from experience as for some strange reason, Mr de Vries is madly in love with me and he's been my one and only but..."

Hahah! Im not sure how I feel yet about the possible romantic involvement, gonna see how the book ends first.

Ch 16
(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments just keep reading

message 50: by jess (last edited Apr 19, 2019 08:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments Earlier in the book, there was some disagreement about whether there were “cycles” or times when it was easier to access the Otherside. There didn’t seem to be a resolution.

Ch 20, Merrick claims that the time before dawn is the best time to see into the Otherside. I hope we are about to see this in application in this Ch!!!

« previous 1