The Engines of God (The Academy #1)
This topic is about The Engines of God
The Academy #1-Engines of God

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie K | 1282 comments Mod
Welcome to our next series, and the initial read-Engines of God

I am really enjoying this so far. Let us know what you think!

Allan Phillips I enjoyed The Engines of God a lot. In a way it reminded me of Indiana Jones, but more scientific with an ensemble cast in space. Great story that moved along at a good clip, kept you interested and wondering.

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 74 comments Agreed it’s an excellent beginning of a very fun series.

message 4: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie K | 1282 comments Mod
I enjoyed it a lot too, a not-very-common kind of issue. Even when I was guessing what things meant, they were only details of a larger picture. Very interested in the next installment!

message 5: by Suki (last edited Jan 15, 2019 10:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 9 comments I read this book in the mid-90s when it was first released, and I loved it. I loved it this time around, too-- the puzzles surrounding the alien archaeology/artifacts are fascinating. My first read of this book was with an irl book group, and I didn't really understand the function of the "killer clouds" until a lady in the group who was a nurse likened them to (view spoiler)

I have never read the rest of the books in the series, (although I have read some of McDevitt's stand-alone works), so I am very happy to be able to read them along with this group.

Rachel | 4 comments A little late to this one, just finished it and will try to catch up with the next two. I hope they're better, or that I'll get pulled into the stories more quickly now that I know the setting and some characters.

I like a good galaxy-wide setting with lost civilizations and mystery about what was destroying them and what all the artifacts meant, and that's what this series is. But still, I had to drag myself through the first half of the book.

I couldn't distinguish many of the characters from each other. Hutch is a good touchstone, as she's partly outsider. You can tell the book is over 20 years old. While there are strong female characters, everyone conforms to gender/heterosexuality norms. You can tell that McDevitt is trying to develop character, because he adds a paragraph here or there about what this character feels or what they did in the past or what's going to happen to them in the future. A bit awkward but it does help.